• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

12 to 24 player support in patch 1.29 (why exactly 24?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello everyone,

I have been wondering why Blizzard chose to change the maximum number of player slots from 12 to 24. More specifically why exactly 24?

I know from the World Editor that there are 4 slots used for neutral hostile, neutral victim, neutral passive and neutral extra.

This leaves us with 24+4=28 slots vs. 12+4=16 slots in previous versions.

My question is, why 28 players in total? Isn't the player stored with 32 possible values (player 0-31)? What happened to the last 4 players? Isn't it stupid to stop at 28, and not 32, while you are working? Do it right from the beginning, so to speak?

But I assume that I misunderstood how it works?

Level 11
Theoretically, I suppose it would be possible to add four more players or even more. However, remember that each player must have a unique colour, and that colour must be easily recognisable. If you add more players, you add more colours, and players will be harder to distinguish.

Level 2
Theoretically, I suppose it would be possible to add four more players or even more. However, remember that each player must have a unique colour, and that colour must be easily recognisable. If you add more players, you add more colours, and players will be harder to distinguish.
Ohh well it is a shame that they stopped because of colours. They could have added 4 additional neutral extra players if figuring out 4 additional colours was a problem - that way mapmakers could use them for something :)

Status
Not open for further replies.