• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Intro Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I don't know if this is possible but could you make the WoW vanilla trailer play in a cinematic type "map" like in the Blizzard Campaigns. I know you can play the ordinary cinematics but they are in an .mpq format.

If I'm not making sense please say so because I'm really curious about this and could use it for my campaign.

Level 18
If you are talking about using WoW models and resources to make a cinematic video, then you are talking about making a Machinima...

There are people out there who could make such videos (there are several limitations), but I am not sure who in Hive Workshop have such capability...

Level 18
Level 31
why can nobody here understand what he's asking it makes perfect sense

he doesn't want to make his own million dollar cinematic, he wants to use one he already has (which is the vanilla wow trailer).

his actual question is how to implement this into the campaign, like how at the end of the orc campaign grom fights mannoroth, or arthas kills terenas

Level 17
i played a naruto map once (dont ask) and there was video from one of the episodes at the start of the map playing. the video was roughly 3-4 seconds long and i played the map with a few more people online. i have no idea how the creator did it but i never really looked into it. obviously he would need to have a video, then import it in the map and keep the size low however i dont know what format the video needs to be as for the cinematics from wc3, they are actually in some video format(you can play them with media player ) however bliz gave them an mpq extension to prevent noobs from watching them before they finish the campagns. so if you want to play any actual video i guess all you have to do is just find out what format needs to be then convert your video into that format....

It is possible to an extent. There are two options.

The first option, which I assume is what the naruto map that gorillabull mentioned did, is to make a bunch of images and play audio over it. You would loop through the images and use them as fade filters--making it look sort of like a clip. See:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/clip-maker-system-0-2-a-238689/

The second option is one I haven't fully explored yet. I did some experiments with it a while back though. The Warcraft III movies (HumanOp, HumanEd, etc.) are all in video formats (.AVI), as gorillabull mentioned. This is pretty neat--it means that you can use Warcraft III as your own AVI player. Plus, this method is a lot easier than making a stream of clips + audio, and in may have better results.

The means of playing a cinematic in game are through this function:
  • Game - Enable/Disable Cinematic
However, it only fires on "Quit Mission" (or at least the one I used did, I haven't checked them all). In JASS, it is:
JASS:
function SetCinematicAvailableBJ takes boolean available, integer cinematicIndex returns nothing
    if ( cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_TOP ) then
        call SetOpCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_T, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "TutorialOp" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_HOP) then
        call SetOpCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_H, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "HumanOp" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_HED) then
        call SetEdCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_H, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "HumanEd" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_OOP) then
        call SetOpCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_O, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "OrcOp" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_OED) then
        call SetEdCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_O, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "OrcEd" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_UOP) then
        call SetEdCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_U, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "UndeadOp" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_UED) then
        call SetEdCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_U, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "UndeadEd" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_NOP) then
        call SetEdCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_N, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "NightElfOp" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_NED) then
        call SetEdCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_INDEX_N, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "NightElfEd" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_XOP) then
        call SetOpCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_OFFSET_XN, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "IntroX" )
    elseif (cinematicIndex == bj_CINEMATICINDEX_XED) then
        call SetEdCinematicAvailable( bj_CAMPAIGN_OFFSET_XU, available )
        call PlayCinematic( "OutroX" )
    else
        // Unrecognized cinematic - ignore the request.
    endif
endfunction
As you can see, they check their boundaries. They don't want you to do something silly. :p However, the functions "SetOp/EdCinematicAvailable()" and "PlayCinematic" are still available to us.

Anyway, there is still a way to play the cinematics in game through the above technique by adding it to your Movies folder.
  • Get the AVI file.
  • Rename your AVI file to have the extension .mpq. In my case, I made it WOTLK.mpq. Make sure you actually changed the extension. It should not be WOTLK.mpq.avi.
  • Paste it into Warcraft III\Movies.
  • Use:
    JASS:
    call PlayCinematic("WOTLK")

If done properly, when the player quits the mission they should see the AVI file under "Movies\<name>.mpq". In my case, "Movies\WOTLK.mpq".

Just note that there is quality loss when Warcraft III loads it. It'll use palette compression (because of this, you may want to pre-compress it since having it in "HD" won't really help since it is later compressed). However, it is certainly watchable quality and it does the job just fine. Obviously, this isn't very practical for the people playing your map to do, but it is at least good to know that it is possible.

EDIT: Also, if you want custom captions (subtitles) then check out war3.mpq\UI\Captions\. For example, HumanOp.txt will have a declaration like so:
Code:
00:00:38:13        00:00:42:13        We've received reports that the orcs are regrouping.
The code on the left (I assume) is the start time for that caption, and the code on the right is the end time (I assume, again) for that caption. I'm guessing time is measured in Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Milliseconds. The code on the right is the text to appear in the caption. You may be able to import a custom caption text file under the path "UI\Captions\HumanOp.txt" (depending on which cinematic you're overwriting). <p> breaks to a new line. The text will be centered on the screen.

Last edited:
Well thats's the thing maybe I also should've said this but I also need the .avi file. I already knew sort of how to start the problem was whether I could just put it into the warcraft 3 cinematics folder and then play it using the trigger you mentioned.

So yeah a request change could someone please give me the .avi file of the original warcraft seasons of war trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.