• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [ReDuX]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
warcraft? what warcraft?

lol do you HAVE to make everyone look bad.

wait? it's not 1942?

enough with the one liners, onto criticisim....... ummmmm.... hmm let me see...... AHA!
the ,map lags A LOT right after starting (initializing everything for shure) i wouldn't mention it except a game i played employed a secound (after default) loading screen wich seemed to reduce lag. i think the game was called...... you know what, i'll let you find the name.

BTW you should add jet fighters to the game as a superb fighter bomber (better than fighters but acts as a dive bomber too) there were only two countries that actually employed jet fighters near the end of the war (Germany with the 262 (the first operational and most succesful jet, it could outperform ANY allied plane, including the meteor, and also served as a dive bomber, entered servive late 1944, and if the luftwafe had more (quite possible) than it could have given germany aerial superiority) and the united kingdom with the Gloster Meteor (shot down V1's over the channel)) but they still had the potential to revolutionize aerial warfare late in the war, (and almost did)

@Gallin: Yes, they will come out soon.

@Warman: i have temporarily removed the seasonal fog effects, and it is now replaced by a plain white fog. This reduces the initial lag somewhat. But yes, your idea sounds nice, perhaps it would be nice to add a black screenfilter and show that adolf hitler quote on top of it, aswell as the introduction messages. We'll see what James says when he comes back.

About the jets.. sorry. It's a waste of model space imo, and it doesn't contribute other than to imbalance. Also, it shows up a bit too late in the game.

Level 6
=(

lol still great. of course, if you have a lot of triggers and stuff that initialize the moment the map starts, you can shift some of those so they start 1 secound into the game (so it doesn't bog down the computer as much)

Level 13
@Gallin: Yes, they will come out soon.

@Warman: i have temporarily removed the seasonal fog effects, and it is now replaced by a plain white fog. This reduces the initial lag somewhat. But yes, your idea sounds nice, perhaps it would be nice to add a black screenfilter and show that adolf hitler quote on top of it, aswell as the introduction messages. We'll see what James says when he comes back.

About the jets.. sorry. It's a waste of model space imo, and it doesn't contribute other than to imbalance. Also, it shows up a bit too late in the game.

Let's see it.

Weekly Updates

Sorry for the little doubble post, but here comes this weeks updates!

*Asian theatre introduced
New building models together with the new lovely grass textures makes for a very atmospheric setting, here shot by the Mekong river, in the outskirts of Phnom Penh.
attachment.php

*New airfield model
Goblin periscopes no more, with this highly detailed model.
And it's only 50kbs in size!

attachment.php

Attachments

• worldedit121 2010-03-28 05-30-20-73.png
    worldedit121 2010-03-28 05-30-20-73.png
    831.5 KB · Views: 223
  • War3ModelEditor 2010-03-28 15-35-53-97.png
    War3ModelEditor 2010-03-28 15-35-53-97.png
    193.4 KB · Views: 232
More Updates!

Logistics system revisited:
*New logistics system, including supply lines.
A new capturable structure have been added to the map: the steel mill.
Steel mills are spread very scaresly on the map, with only a few on each continent, and usually on places far from nearest town. Current locations are Kiruna (Sweden), China, and eastern Russia.
Once a steel mill is captured, a supply truck will set of two times per income cycle and set course for nearest factory owned by the player who is occupying the steel mill. If the truck reaches it's destination, the player recieves a gold tribute. If however, it doesn't, half of the gold cargo goes to the player that destroys the supply truck.

Unpassable rivers and bridges/bridge classes:
*Bridges added as strategical asset.
Rivers are now deeper than before, providing very few means of crossing. Instead, players will have to hold control of bridges to uphold their natural frontlines.
Two classes of bridges are available; Large, and Small.
Large bridges are simply wider, and more capable of transporting more troops in less time. Those will have a larger role in further updates (just wait and see!)
Bridges work just like in regular warcraft, they are always neutral, and cannot be captured in the same way as cities, only occupied.

War never ends:
*If your battles stretches beyond the natural ending in 1945, so does your technological progress.
In 1946, new tech units will be available for the final escalation.
This will include V2 rocket ramps, and other exotic units.

New unit upgrades:
*Purchase new arnaments for your soldiers to increase their combat efficiency.
In 1943, you can now choose to upgrade your units to wield T2 weapons.
This is how the chart looks:

Soviet: Tokarevs for Millitas, and PPSH for Infantry/Commisars.

German: Gewehr for Millitas, MP44 for Infantry/Officers.

American: M1 for Millita, BAR for Infantry/Officers

Japan/China uses Soviet weapons
Britain uses American weapons (so far)
Minor Axis uses German Weapons
Minor Allied uses American weapons (will be british, if i make those)
Italy uses German weapons

Last edited:
Haha, sorry, that has been fixed. I'm not very good at german.

half a page of info, and i get comments on spelling. lol. ;)

EDIT: I have been testing out the map some for balance, and i've done the following observations:

*One Light Tank can kill up to 4 Soldiers.

*One Heavy Tank can kill up to 6 Light Tanks.

*Two AT-Guns can kill a Heavy Tank.

*Two Medium Tanks can kill a Heavy Tank.

*Four Infantries can kill a Heavy tank with two units lost, but hell, it takes time. (this happens only because the AP rounds are practically useless against unarmored units)

*Light Tanks and AT-Guns are evenly matched. AT-Guns are superior in damage, while Light Tanks are superior in attack speed.

All comparisions are based on 1v1 encounters, so one Heavy Tank could for example not take on six Light Tanks at the same time.

A short Q/A on the AT-Guns:

[Q]: What role does the AT-Gun have?

[A]: In the early game, AT-Guns are the poor mans counter to Light Tanks. In the later game, they will be your natural counter to Heavy Tanks.

[Q]: Why should i bother building Light Tanks, when the AT-Guns are so much cheaper?

[A]: The AT-Gun may be evenly matched with the Light Tank, but that's about it. In the early game, infantry will be your most common enemy, and against those, the Light Tank is far superior. They are faster and more agile, and have explosive rounds aswell as faster firing speed. It would only take one or two soldiers to take down an AT-Gun.

Last edited:
Level 13
Well bridges be destroyable? A strategy that can be very cleverly used. Perhaps send some men in and destroy some bridges further into the enemy territory and he cants get his men to you easily

Can you make like two modes one where its the normal and than one free mode where you could un ally/ ally anyone you wish?

are there two Americas?

No, bridges will not be destroyable. Cause if they were, everyone would just destroy all their bridges in the first part of the game, and mass defences at the natural crossings. or maybe then mass air later on, or whatever.
You can build pillboxes and AA-Gun enplacements in this game however, aswell as plant tank mines (has timed life), so you will have no problems fortifying your bridges.

And yes, there are two americans, one in the pacific, and one on the european theatre.

At the different modes.. i like it!
Although, i still like the existing system with dates serving as tech requirements, but you could have a game mode without all the historic events, and with free ally/unally.

Level 14
WW2 is the coolest era there ever was and ever will be there was so much war >:D
lol only because you didnt experience it (neither did i ofc) and you havent heard of WW3 yet >:D

No, bridges will not be destroyable. Cause if they were, everyone would just destroy all their bridges in the first part of the game, and mass defences at the natural crossings. or maybe then mass air later on, or whatever.
You can build pillboxes and AA-Gun enplacements in this game however, aswell as plant tank mines (has timed life), so you will have no problems fortifying your bridges.

At the different modes.. i like it!
Although, i still like the existing system with dates serving as tech requirements, but you could have a game mode without all the historic events, and with free ally/unally.
imo bridges should be destoryable and rebuildable. like if you destroy the bridge, just in case, then you might be screwed yourself. but if you see the enemy coming towards you, then you can delay them by blowing it up. maybe even the mines would be enough to blow up the bridge?
although i understand why it is necessary, i always hate it that the mines have a timed life. there HUGE amounts of ww2 mines left in world even today and they still cause problems. they dont have timed life irl :) but i think you cant do much about that. just a thought of mine.
btw it would be very much like the germans to just contruct a new (portable? XD) bridge and get over with it quick (blitzkrieg ftw).

about the steel mills: the one in russia should be definetely in the ural mountains.
will you make working machines use oil too, or just the production? do the factories have to be supplied with the actual resources needed for production or will you leave it like rts-s usually have it (including w3)? will there be any swamps (and or other impassable terrain)?

id love the different modes. and this project rules.

hey karland, i just finished the outlines of Estonia :)
Thanks for the feedback, that's the kind of response i want. Mines will have a pretty long timed life, and infantries will have a very narrow "true sight" so that they will be able to detect them. If i skip the timed life, wc3 would propably be totally overloaded by mine spam, lol. It wouldn't even be fun, since building tanks would be a waste.

The rivers in this map are relatively short, since the map is pretty small, and bridge layers would be pretty vain. It just wouldn't pay off.

Thanks for the steel mills tip (if other people want to have their countries look correct - give me tips like that!), and no, the operation of the machines will be free. I don't want to smother the player in micromanagement.

Finally (i can give more answers later today), terrain will have different buffs, like natural cover, harsh climate, difficult terrain, etc. that affects your units - those also differ depending on what type of units they are. Tanks are not affected by cold, but instead suffer more from difficult terrain.

Level 14
hey! i got a good idea :D. you should make that 5 seconds after placing a mine it's ownership is changed to neutral hostile. that makes totally sense, since you are vulnerable to your own mines too, especially if you dont remember where you placed them xD.
i like mines xD

Level 13
hey! i got a good idea :D. you should make that 5 seconds after placing a mine it's ownership is changed to neutral hostile. that makes totally sense, since you are vulnerable to your own mines too, especially if you dont remember where you placed them xD.
i like mines xD

I agree with this idea. But perhaps be able to make a little sign or some sort that can be seen by all that you have to build if you want to know where it is.

Hmm.. i don't think that is very practical. The purpouse of laying a mine field is to dig in your base, not to get yourself blown up. That would only be frustrating in my opinion. You have to keep in mind that sometimes your units live their own life, and start chasing after enemies on their own, and that would make mines quite a problem.
But i will keep it in mind though, maybe i'll test it and see how it works.

Well.. not when you can use one infantry unit to make the enemy batallion kill themselves on their own defences. In ww2, soldiers understood not to step on their own mines, especially when they planted them 5 seconds ago.

The worst thing i know about warcraft, is when your army rants off to follow some worker that just passed by, only to take a few shots from their towers. Let's not make that any more annoying.

I just implemented the tank mines into the game, and i must say - they look FANTASTIC!
It's such a glory to see a tank battalion cross through a field, while suddenly being surrounded by bursting dirt pillars from exploding mines.

This is how the mines work at the moment:

*Mines are placed by engineers, and have a 30 second cooldown.
*Mines have a 10 minute timed life. (more than enough)
*Infantry units can spot mines, and does not trigger them, nor take damage from them. (we'll see if i'll change them to take damage)
*Two mines will kill a Light Tank, three will kill a Medium Tank, and 4-5 will kill a Heavy Tank. A Heavy Tank can cross through an entire mine field while still being in drivable shape.
*Mines do AOE damage, 80 in the closest circle (75), 40 in a larger circle (150).

I have also completed the V2 rocket model, will post images later on.
The finnish front has been reinforced by a few tank mines. Those mines are static and have no timed life.

Well, there was a kind of minesweeping vehicle, which had padded tracks and spinning chains on arms, that was used for clearing mines, but.. i don't like the idea.

People will just be able to place mixed mines in a mine field, and then infantries will not be able to clear out tank mines, and minesweepers will not be able to clear out anti-personel mines.
I want AT-mines to be a reason to train infantry units, and to be a cheap way for the foreseeing player to counter tank massing.

Level 6
thats why infantry are imune to mines p.s. anti-personel mines aren't all that effective in the larger scale because infantry divisions are large, and mines are small. the biggest effect of anti-personel mines is that it slows them down (wich is also achieved by barbed wire (might wanna add this))

Level 14
:D
barbed wire could be a chain of units (place with some spaces) that have slow and tiny damage aura. or only slow. maybe they should only work for infantry?
if you are going to make this, you might want to ask tips or ideas from someone who is making (or has made) some kind of wall system (like chilla_killa for aoe:wc3).

That is actually a nice idea :)
If barbed wire is to be used the same way as regular walls, they would just be destructable blocks that you put in chokeholds or in front of bunkers.
If they are to use auras, hmm.. i think that is infact what would give the most strategic opportunities, since you could bombard them/machinegun them down while they are snailing towards you.

If i would use the first however, i could make it so that they are of a different target type, so that you for example would have to make an engineer place a satchel to blow them up, or to "attack ground" with a siege unit in order to get past them.

Anyway, someone asked when you will get to play the new version; there are a few things i would like to get fixed first, namely:
*Replace all tank units
*Completely implement the steel mill system
*Reterrain all the cities in europe

But if you want to join in to beta test it someday, send me a message and i will contact you all when it is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.