• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

World of StarCraft Universe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
[reaction=http://sclegacy.com/forums/images/avatars/terranunits/adjutant.gif]Six months ago, a mod called "World of StarCraft", being developed by Creation, was made public. In spite of the many mods/maps out there carrying the title (one of them by Slaydon, a somewhat well-known member of our community), this one reached an unsuspected degree of popularity.
First of all, its promotion video was removed from YouTube on Activision demand under claim of copyright infringement. Then, the author was contacted by the Blizzard Deputy Council to discuss the details of the map, it seems they were afraid he was developing a stand-alone modification, but RyanWin, as he is also called, made sure to clarify that the map is being developed for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.
Earlier this week, a player-made StarCraft II mod called World of StarCraft and described as a “StarCraft MMO” was featured on a number of prominent gaming news sites, catching the attention of gamers as well as our own. With the name so closely resembling that of World of Warcraft, we wanted to discuss the title of the mod with the developer, and as part of our routine procedure, we contacted YouTube to request the video be removed while that discussion took place. We were also curious about the project and wanted to discuss with the developer what the mod entailed.

It was never our intention to stop development on the mod or discourage the community from expressing their creativity through the StarCraft II editor. As always, we actively encourage development of custom maps and mods for StarCraft II, as we’ve done with our strategy games in the past. That's why we release an editor with our RTS games, and why we feature top player-created content in the custom game search. It's also why we held a contest to spotlight the best community-crafted StarCraft II mods at last year's BlizzCon, and why we’ll continue to improve Battle.net to better showcase player-created content.

Like many players in the community, we’re looking forward to seeing the continued development of this mod, and as part of our ongoing discussion, we've extended an offer to the developer to visit the Blizzard campus and meet with the StarCraft II development team. As always, we appreciate all of the efforts of the talented and enthusiastic mod-making community, and we look forward to seeing and playing what they create using the StarCraft II editor in the future.
[/reaction]The day after, he was contacted by Riot Games (Los Angeles) for a position in game design. He was also contacted by various composers and programmers after that.
So the whole work has been renamed to "StarCraft Universe" under development of the SCU team (www.starcraftuniverse.org seems to be the official website), and a new trailer has just been released. I have never played World of WarCraft, but I've seen videos or screenshots and this trailer shows a gameplay that is quite close to WoW.

Just see it yourself!

Extras:

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It will probably play much like Diablo but with more restricted areas.

Also the fact he has not released public demos of the game generally points towards him making it look more impressive than it actually is. Think of D3 demonstrations, Blizzard had the guts to admit that what you see is all that is working. Yes it has a lot more effort put into it than most maps in SC2 but it has a much bigger development team. The job offers he got were probably due to his celerberty status rather than him being good at making games.

Level 49
GamerCreutz... What?
The SC2 Marketplace is a system that Blizzard will implement in the Heart of the Swarm SC2 expansion pack. It will give map-makers who make extremely complicated, advanced and popular maps the option to force players to pay them a one-time fee to play the map, with some of the money going to Blizzard. It's nothing new, and it WILL be implemented, according to Blizzard.

would they, or have they already, made a Zerg faction? o_O

Blizz seem like.. "afraid" to make a playable char that "has no legs" lol
and SC universe deserves exactly that, chars that aren't all humanoid :>

Well, my project is going to have Terrans of many colonies, 3 Factions for every race.

Also, the most logical idea i could come up with for the zerg are that Infested Terrans and abducted protoss that were used as test subjects were in Zerg Cocoons in Char, being prepared to become a new stealth infection weapon.

When Kerrigan became human, these mutations were forcehatched by the psionic power of one of the test subjects, Auria. She then restored the minds of each one, and they were able to evolve their bodies thanks to the zerg virus. But they would act differently depending on the path they chose to serve. High Templars have minor zerg infestation marks, while Dark Templars have many more marks. The ones that chose the Dark Templar path are able to stealth like normal, but also gain the ability to burrow and move underground, but also blink.

And these are just results. The Terrans and the Protoss consider them as zerg, and the zerg consider them as Terrans and Protoss.

In other words, the local brood mothers on char try to take them out. And all this is only the creation of the character.

My game is going to have 3 races, and 3 factions for each.

For terrans i was going for like Dominion, Kel'morian, Raynor's Raiders,
and for Protoss Conclave, Judicators and Khalai.

For each faction there will be variations of the original. Like, there will be Furinax for the Khalai faction.

Also, each faction gets a boost based on their main class. For example, Khalai will give a boost to High Templar and (Undecided healer Templar) on their mana and mana regen. Dominion Ghosts will be able to cloak longer than Raynor's Spectres, but Spectres get a HP boost.

Aaaaaaaaaand i am done, i got loads more but i don't want to spoil everything.

Level 7
Well, my project is going to have Terrans of many colonies, 3 Factions for every race.

Also, the most logical idea i could come up with for the zerg are that Infested Terrans and abducted protoss that were used as test subjects were in Zerg Cocoons in Char, being prepared to become a new stealth infection weapon.

When Kerrigan became human, these mutations were forcehatched by the psionic power of one of the test subjects, Auria. She then restored the minds of each one, and they were able to evolve their bodies thanks to the zerg virus. But they would act differently depending on the path they chose to serve. High Templars have minor zerg infestation marks, while Dark Templars have many more marks. The ones that chose the Dark Templar path are able to stealth like normal, but also gain the ability to burrow and move underground, but also blink.

And these are just results. The Terrans and the Protoss consider them as zerg, and the zerg consider them as Terrans and Protoss.

In other words, the local brood mothers on char try to take them out. And all this is only the creation of the character.

My game is going to have 3 races, and 3 factions for each.

For terrans i was going for like Dominion, Kel'morian, Raynor's Raiders,
and for Protoss Conclave, Judicators and Khalai.

For each faction there will be variations of the original. Like, there will be Furinax for the Khalai faction.

Also, each faction gets a boost based on their main class. For example, Khalai will give a boost to High Templar and (Undecided healer Templar) on their mana and mana regen. Dominion Ghosts will be able to cloak longer than Raynor's Spectres, but Spectres get a HP boost.

Aaaaaaaaaand i am done, i got loads more but i don't want to spoil everything.

i wish i had starcraft 2 :vw_sad:

Level 22
I never knew Slaydon from here as I don't remember seeing him on the Hive. I didn't know he's a mapmaker but I do play from time to time with him and THK.

As for this RyanWins, I've seen War3/Dota interface, Diablo interface, WoW interface, so it's nothing surprising and as the name suggests and you can see, this is to look like WoW not Diablo. I even think he's using the RPG 3rd Person camera view from this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_dyTVodkk

Oh and yes, some on SC2Mapster are so deep into the editor that they do amazing things I would never use the time to make, as I'm casual and these maybe require a lot of time to study. Considering the amount of works put on this, this will likely cost $ but if you're already into paying for WoW monthly fee you would maybe do a one time payment for it if so eager to play it. Is it going to be one map, crossing between maps, online? Looks good but not my thing, I don't play such.

Level 18
If people do not submit maps to that shitty marketplace they will have to take it out i mean not everyone lives in the NA if you live outside of north america its not that easy to buy online stuff and it would be annoying that you have to go to a bank to buy a fucking map , Blizzard tries to make MODS(will be always mods because they will never be finished , and their always and will always be free (at least before this shit happens) cost they want to get money for the effort of someone else. i know the author will get paid (that makes the author want to put it in the market place) its like their trying to suborn authors to make games paid (first will be some games) but then ALL games will be paid because all authors want money and then people will start complaining at why does blizzard is being a DICK. and even if you live in the NA you find it cool to have to buy every fucking nice map you see? like how it will cost? 5-10 dollars? x Every new map you play = more than what you get per year ._. (they are also forcing you to play more melee and less custom maps so Map makers wont get as good as this dude) yeah its like blizzard Or should I say ACTIFUCKERS(activision they bought Blizzard) master plan

Level 18
Valve definitely has to Make An RTS with an Editor similar to WC3-SC2 editor so we can get out of blizzards shit till activision sells again blizzard to previously owners...

it would also get actibitches hatin on Valve bcuse they steal all what blizzard didnt know how to manage (example: DotA Blizzard never knew what to do with dota like

A)Give Official support to dota pay Icefrog for their great work and help in selling the game and mabe make an exclusive battlenet channel for DotA (so melee and other rpgs would also be played)

B)Lets just sit and watch what happens , do not give support to icefrog , let dota get hosted everywhere so other map makers do not have support for their maps etcetc.. and then when icefrog gets tired eventually he will sell the one of the Mosts popular mod worldwide to another company(valve).

TL;DR, i can't climb that wall, double post, and no, i bet they ditched the idea a long time ago.
Also, use
edit.gif
next time.

Level 34
I used to like blizzard.

After viewing this thread? Not so much
What? I don't think you guys understand what happened. Blizzard took down his original video while they discussed with him the plans and intentions for the mod. The didn't actually discourage, let alone sue, anyone from modding.

Level 19
After reading what the real thread was about (Nah Blizzard didn't sue them), I chose to support Blizzard in this.
Heh this mod is awesome, I hope somehow Blizzard gets to keep this player updating in Starcraft II instead of that (Dirty cheating stealing) Riot Games getting him (And other modder(s) of Blizzard games) and stopping this. Starcraft II is developing fast and this could really help it grow even further, so I do wish it all the best:)
Oh, the video thing would be fine, since word of mouth is still another way to promote it, so yeah, I doubt it'll stop it much anyway.

Level 22
my gawd! I wonder what he eats from time to time just to make such an awesome fuck like this.

I see on SC2Mapster they do other just as awesome things, I assure you, some are just as good. I don't know what made some companies call him for game designer position when he's like many others good at SC2 editor. Or if I'm missing something that makes him more special, it's because im not interested in him or his map lol.

That's why Melee and rarely Storm of the Impreial Sanctum and no problem, that is of course unless Blizzard decide you don't need wins too or any sign of ladder xD

And since Blizzard failed in some of the measures when creating this bnet, as leavers could still leave even though they prevented to cancel game at lobby or similar other issues, I forsee they will fail with the market too - because people will start selling their maps at freedom even if their maps could be nothing special even crappy. Custom Games list will become an Online Store xD

Level 19
Hmm... I wonder if there's a way to solve that lol, I really hope Blizzard would get to profit from it though, without letting other companies steal away their stuff and players. They must've spent really long on Starcraft II and I wouldn't want it to go to waste.

TL; D(id)R

that's all fine 'n' all... but what really made the previous SCs famous was putting 3 totally different races with totally different build/train options and strategies.

My opinion, is that the game should allow the player to create and play with a character that isn't always humanoid. Heck.. I would rather play, stalk, and hunt other players with a Hydralisk than some infestee :/

now i think what's next; "wait.. a hydra, or ultra can't ride a mount, they can't use the items that drop from other factions" and so on..

Really? are you gonna be "scared" of making a customize-able char that "doesn't have legs" like blizzard avoided in WoW? So yeah.. that's my lill rant there

(last sentence wasn't meant for anyone in particular)

Well, to lure you in, i will tell you my plans on my "Infested".

Items customize your actual character. But their Racial bonus is that they can go Full Zerg whenever they want to. Humanoid like terrans get a boost in intellect and spirit, while Zerg get increased agility, strength and stamina. So Healer classes will have to stay Humanoid.

Also, gear you wear will make your zerg change. Ranged classes will get turned into stuff like Hydralisks and Roaches, while Infested Casters' racial gets turned into a 30 second boost that makes them a special zerg, like an Infestor, etc.

Level 17
Valve definitely has to Make An RTS with an Editor similar to WC3-SC2 editor so we can get out of blizzards shit till activision sells again blizzard to previously owners...

Source engine.

Have you seen the kinds of mods people have made for Half Life 2? It's way, way more powerful than anything Wc3/sc2 could create, albeit more difficult to use. But I'd rather a smaller number of quality mods than shitloads of TITAN LAND ULTIMATE DESTINY VERSION 2.45

Level 2
Yes, DR is on the team. He created the custom physics engine that we use.

As far as playing Zerg, I think a lot of you are forgetting your lore. Something we are being very mindful of: The majority of Zerg units become mindless bestial creatures that revert to instinctual behavior once they lose their Overlord/Cerebrate/Queen etc. Thus adding a Zergling or Hydralisk as a playable character makes absolutely no sense at all.

We're holding off on creating any sort of Zerg classes until after HOTS has been released so that we can see how the Zerg lore has evolved. At that point we'll see if playable Zerg characters is more appropriate.

Also, we're not being sued and we have the green light from Blizzard for this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.