• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wild West ORPG Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
New update :

-A check point system : You rez at the nearest safe area (like a town, a scoutpost...) or at the entrance of the dungeon when you die. You must wait "2x your level" seconds to rez when you die.
-I delecte the UI and let the basic UI.
-Severals bugs fixxed.
-I compressed the triggers, I delecte more than 100 triggers! The gameplay is more smoother.
-Working on the item for the druid's companion.

Level 4
Progress :

-A new playable area : that include her monsters, new items, a new quest (coming soon)..., new screenshot coming soon.
-All heroes bugs are fixed, they now work propoerly.

I'll create a second dungeon in the second area. This dungeon always changes when you reload a game (my aim is to creat a dungeon like diablo 2). It means the rooms changes, monsters have not the same position (and the boss too)...
I have some ideas to do it, but it will long to code and creat that.

Level 4
Progress :

- The quest has been added.
- New items, map is playable now up to the level 20 (for 15 with the gnoll dungeon).

I had exams during the last week, I didn't work on the map. Currently, I have time that I need to continue it.

Screenshots :

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cursed area 1.jpg
    Cursed area 1.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 290
  • Cursed area 2.jpg
    Cursed area 2.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 327
Level 4
So hows the map going?

Here the exact progress of the map :

All items are created for all classes up to the level 20.
All heroes and all spells works properly (100%).
The new area is created, but I not the second dungeon. I need time to creat the system and I'll publish the map before.
There is now the begin of the story line in the new area. It will progress with the development of the new areas.
Quest for the new area are created (that dosen't include the 2nd dungeon).

The map is now playable for 6 players. I dosen't increase the difficulty of the map, I have not 5 other players to test it and I need feedback.

Currently I track bugs, I want update a map that tempt the player to continue and discorver all the content.
I'll update the new version in 1 or 2 days I think.

Level 4
After severals tests on garena with others players, I found (and fixed) severals bugs :

-The load bug is fix, before, when you load an heros, you canno't choose skills or stats points.
-The backpack missing bug for player 4,5 and 6 is now fixed.
-You can not anymore use offensive spells on allies (by scavman).
-You can not attack allies anymore.
-The bug that removed all spells of cleric when you choose the spell regain is fixed.

New additions in the version 1.2b :

-I'll add a repick system.
-The life point of the backpack will be hide.

I hope update the update soon, I think it won't take more than 3 days.

Level 4
The version 1.2 is now update. Go to the first post to download it.

-Some others bugs have been fixed, like the loot problem with the first boss of gnoll dungeon.
-The gnoll dungeon boss dosen't attack during the casting time.
-The cooldown of holyrain is up to 25 seconds.
-Other classes can't now takes orbs.

Level 31
Yea, this leaks like crazy.

I got a black screen from a few minutes of play.

Fix yo leaks

edit
crappy save/load system... can't save full backpack + inventory and absolutely massive codes... if you used another one, you could easily cut the size of codes in half.

So yea, if you have like 10 stacks of potions and type save, nothing'll pop up because of thread crash

Half the time you don't pop up with your gear and it says that you can't hold double of the same item (on load).

Half the time when you buy an item, even with an inventory, it'll pop up with the can't hold double of the same items error. Fix your equipment stuff =P.

Can load multiple times, thus duping items and farming gold

Can load multiple times with reset to lumber, thus maxing out everybody's abilities

Loading sometimes makes abilities not show up (can't buy any abilities)

And again, I must stress the masses of leaks

Also, it continues to make ability shrines on load/repick... someone repicked every class and then loaded up their character and got like 300 lumber and got a few abilities from cleric, warrior, etc... >.>. Remove the current ability shrine before making a new one.

edit
suggestions, move to Encoder

-> http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ickstart-guide-saving-loading-encoder-196496/

That way you have smaller save/load codes and what not. That framework in tut will also fix ur -load problem.

You should reset the codes due to all of the bugs, but first fix all of these bugs =).

And good hero design, aye ; P

Last edited:
Level 4
Yeah, the save/load system is my pet peeve.

I import the script and I just saved items/abilities... in the script to be able to load it.
I'll take a look to your link and take hours to make a bugless load system. I think without a good save/load system, people would flee from the map.
You found bugs that I didn't suspect the existence oO.

Thanks to had tested it, I hope you found positive points. +rep :D

Level 31
I'll take a look to your link and take hours to make a bugless load system

Don't spend hours making a bugless one, just do the quickstart guide thing for installing Encoder. Encoder has already been proven to be bugless and does everything you want it to do ; ).

If you would like a tutorial for actually creating a save/load system >.>...

here
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/jass-ai-scripts-tutorials-280/saving-loading-192851/

And yea, using BigInt in that to create your own save/load system will ensure that your codes don't crash the thread from being too big.

Level 31
List is incomplete.

You need to include what types of equipment each class can equip =).

Also, keep in mind that without knowing what shrines you are using for the heroes and where they are placed, I won't be able to create them when loading up a character.

For shrine placement, I need coordinates for each player. If you are using multiple shrines, I need the shrine ids for each hero type. I also need the ids of whatever you are using in the shrines, whether they are units or techs.

Keep in mind that you should not post this list up on here, or people will be able to look at it for cheat packs. I suggest you delete that attachment asap and put it into pastebin and pm me the link.

Once you have the updates ready, I should probably have your save/load done within 24-72 hours =).

Level 4
Some one is still following it o_O?

I stopped development since I tried to fix save/load system with Neshtarus, but I realesed that I haven't the skill to do a good map, so I despaired to do something playable.
I played this map with players and I saw it is a poor another Orpg.
Furthermore, I looked into other Rpg topics, and serliously, I don't think I can compete with them.

It is not a question of lack of time or motivation, but it is a question of lack of capacity.
An Orpg is for avdanced user of W3e. I'm able to creat terrain, items, triggers and spells, but not a good global system who works perfetly and that do the difference between a great orpg and a basic orpg.

Level 12
Well, I wasn't really following it. I was just checking up on it after a super long inactivity from the Hive.

But your map honestly has a pretty solid foundation, I would admit. The triggers are messy and it leaks, but nevertheless, half the users in Hive don't even understand what a variable is, which in my own eyes, your map is still pretty decent.

I think it's unfair that you're comparing your map with someone else's, especially one done by and incredibly hardworking team of epic developers. Doig that, you're just undermining your own potential with pessimistic views. What your map looks like in comparison to one of those mainstream giant maps like DotA or AtD doesn't really matter. It's what, from a standalone audience perspective, looks like. And I tunic your map it pretty swell. In fact just as swell as a big map since it has the potential to be something great.

Level 31
Keep in mind that I only offer to do save/load for maps that I enjoy. That says a lot about your map. Most maps, especially ORPGs, bore me.

Would I have offered this to the Gaias project? Hell no.

I enjoyed your map and wanted to be able to play a good working version of it, so I brought up all of the issues that needed fixing to you and etc, that way you could fix the map up and then expand on it.

Your map made me nostalgic of old games like FF7. You just don't get that in other wc3 maps.

Your map really does have a lot of potential. A lot of the systems need to be completely redone and the terrain needs some serious work, but if you upgrade it, you'll get something great ;P.

I'm not saying that I'm going to help you recode it and redesign some key parts and etc, that's way too much work ;P. I'll just help you with the thing that a lot of mappers really struggle with, the save/load ;).

Level 12
See? Even the Nestharus, the ultimate Hive coder and the sensei of scripting lines among Hivers, would, in comparison to a mainstream giant map like Gaias, help you out despite this map, with little or no recognition among any Warcraft communities and probably only has a reputation among this little thread, being a pretty much mess.

But despite it being a mess, the essence of it, the idea of a playable map set in the Wild West, is actually a good idea. So even if you can't terrain, trigger or whatever, your map, confined to only you and maybe with a help of others, not some jazzy "professional" mapmaking group, can make this into a great map.

Level 4
Thanks for support guys, I didn't thought my map have any potential.

Well, I stopped development when I was transforming variable into array variable, to :
1°) Reduce size of the map and make it more fluid.
2°) To have a solid base to creat a save/load system as Nestharus adviced me.

So I learned what was an array and how to use it and I did it. From now, when I'll encounter a problem, I'll check hive's forums and pass some hours to understand what is wrong and "upgrade" my skills.

I remember I have a (huge) idea for 2nd dungeon : creat a dungeon like diablo 2 who change every time between two crossing. I have really motivate to find solution to do it and creat it, it is a challenge for me, creat something original.
I was despaired about the lot of work to fix variable and triggers, but now, I up my sleeves and I do it. And then I'll creat the dungeon.

It will takes (don't know if the third person take a s in a future sentence :D) time to take to find my marks, and I'll continue the development.

For terraining, and trigger leaks, I'll ask some help to improve quality of the map.

You remotivate me to do it, thank you^^.

Level 12
Well, jolly good of you to do so.

Just remember one thing: How you make your map is up to you. Using non-traditional methods of Warcraft modding and asking for help is fine, although it may not be in other people's eyes. But this is your map, your rules.

Level 4
Ok, I looked at the script and I remember what exatly i stopped.

Well, I am now working where I stopped, to prepare a proper place for the save/load system. I must change the whole part of the script, but now I have enough motivation to do it in a split second :D.

And then, once time it will be fixed, I'll take pleasure to creat a dungeon as you never see in a war3 map ^^.

Level 4
95% of the script is in gui :D.

I coded some spell in jass (when I tried to learn it), or some script I imported.

For gui part, I'll search a topic about leak in the hive forum to see which leak come again frequently. Lot of little mistakes in script must slow the map and I think huge part of it is about locations ans spell triggers.

Level 4
I save the map, I close the editor, I loggin and I see this post.
I am just going to post too, that is timing^^.

Well, I recoded all spells, and it's work on single players.
I will test in multi when the map will be ready and creat a checklist of bugs.

I have thinking about 2 things before start the second dungeon.
First, I'll recode all quest system to change it :

Before : when a player taked a quest, all player had to do it.
But when a player took the rewards, only him received it (each players must took the reward separatly).

Now : A player take a quest for him and not this team, all player must speak to the npc who gives the quest to have it. This will prevent abuse (exemple, a lvl 20 help a lvl 1 to xp with a high lvl quest).

For the reward, it is the same, each player have to claim it.

Normely, quest will be save and a player couldn't redo it.

The second idea is something new. I'll try to make a presentation image, on load screen. And an image to replace the minimap (not in game, but in waiting room).
For the moment , I have not a specify idea, suggestions are welcome :D

Level 4
Yes, I have many ideas about features. But I didn't mentionned it cause I have lot of works with recode and after the second dungeon. It won't be realesed for a moment :x.

So, I share it now and I classify it by degree of probability of implementation :

- Yes I have precise scheme in my head for the second town.
It will be localised close to the graveyard area. It would be like a ghost town :
dilapedated houses, deaths trees, empty stables... (like a marooned town after a goldrush).
Some "surviving" people and still living here and it is a safty place. You will find new equipment and items of course, but they are not determinated.

In the south, I'll creat a highter level area, the sand desert. The environment will be constituted by sand dune, cactus and why not a nomad camp.
This area will be clearly oriented to the old west.

After, I have an idea for high moutains, but it is too far... I have not a determinate idea of it. Just it will be up to a moutain^^(likes rocky mountains).

About global terrening : I don't know when I'll improve it. I think when the desert will be created. But I'll try to move the environment more realistic, in short, a quality old west terrain^^.

Level 4
Another thing... why don't you try doing most of the save/load on your own and ask me to help you with the harder parts?

I wrote this interactive save/load tutorial, so you should be able to pull it off ; ).

Thanks for the link, I'll try it to imrove the map^^.

And your language? Do you need help on that?

Do you mean writing english?
If it is that, yes. How you can see here, I have not a good english writing and that penalize the storyline.
If it is about coding language, no for the moment.

About working : I can find sometime one hour per day to work on the map. One hour is nothing, I am on trigger and... damn, 45 minutes I'm working on it.
On week ends, I can spend more time, but not enough to have a good progression :x, and school holidays are now the past...

About quest system : It is created, I'm not using it for all quest in the map.
After that, I need to test it in multiplayer mode (It's works in single player, but in multi... I don't know).

Level 4
Quest system is update.
I think 75% of the recoding has been completed.
Now, I'll reworked secondaries systems like dungeon system or resurection system.

When it will be done, I'll try to fix this save/load system and then fix the leaks.

I'll update the new map here when laggs problem will be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.