• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why Durotan refused Mannoroth's offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
As u all know, when Mannoroth offered demonic blood to the orc race, in promise of glory and conquest, all chieftains immediately accepted it. But one of the chieftains refussed, that one was Thrall/Go'el's father, Durotan.
So i ask you why? Did it was a mistake? And would u have accepted the offer if u were in his shoes and why?
Durotan Frostwolf Chieftain
Durotan_TCG.jpg

Last edited:
Level 24
It seems to me that Durotan was the only person clever enough to see through the lies of Ner'Zhul and Kil'Jaiden. The other Warchiefs should have understood that such power does not come without a price.

Besides who knows how it could have affected Thrall he might have grown up to become like Grommash Hellscream and that way he might not have left for Kalimdor and stopped Archimonde.

It's nice to see someone else than me post here for once, I was almost getting used to have monopoly over the WoW forum. :)

Question, why is he green?

Exposure to fel magic. None were spared from this, except the Mag'har who were isolated because of an outbreak of a disease called the red pox. In Rise of the Horde, Durotan starts to notice the shifting colour of his skin before Mannoroth's blood is offered to the orc chieftains. Drinking the blood just accelerated the process.

Level 25
Exposure to fel magic. None were spared from this, except the Mag'har who were isolated because of an outbreak of a disease called the red pox. In Rise of the Horde, Durotan starts to notice the shifting colour of his skin before Mannoroth's blood is offered to the orc chieftains. Drinking the blood just accelerated the process.

Thanks! +rep!

Exactly Hawking, but i also ask; was that a wise choice? Would u have taken the cup if u were him?

I likely would have accepted the fel blood to keep on good terms with the other clans. Being surrounded by enemy orc clans on all sides with nowhere to run on a dying world is not a scenario I'd like to be in. Also, many of the orcs who drank the blood were redeemed in the end, such as Grom Hellscream and Varok Saurfang (who participated in all the attacks against the Draenei). Not drinking the blood only made Durotan a target and if he's not openly opposing the Horde, there's no reason for him to become a target other than because of his morals. I suppose Durotan was pretty damn lucky though because Gul'dan waited until the Dark Portal was opened to act upon the Frostwolf Clan's refusal to cooperate. At that point he had an entire unexplored world on which he could hide his people. At least for awhile.

Level 24
But if Durotan accept the Blood pact, then the timeline will change then
If i was Durotan, i would not accept it.
Actually Durotan will do what he can to save his people, that includes not making his clan turn into bloodthirsty monsters (i think)
Orcs are once not fierce like fel orcs until those demons came

Level 6
I, for one, would have stalled and kept my mouth shut if I were Durotan.As others said, he risked a lot and was quite lucky.

After finding my clan a secluded and very secure home in the new world I would have tried to undermine Gul'dan and stop the mindless bloodshed.

Level 24
I, for one, would have stalled and kept my mouth shut if I were Durotan.As others said, he risked a lot and was kile lucky.

After finding my clan a secluded and very secure home in the new world I would have tried to undermine Gul'dan and stop the mindless bloodshed.

An interesting idea, though I would guess that we don't know everything yet. When confronted with a question at BlizzCon if Thrall and Garrosh would meet their parents and if they would like whom they met Chris Metzen after a little debate replied "Maybe Durotan was being honorable not because he wanted to but rather because he had to be." I for one am very interested in seeing where this turns.

Level 6
An interesting idea, though I would guess that we don't know everything yet. When confronted with a question at BlizzCon if Thrall and Garrosh would meet their parents and if they would like whom they met Chris Metzen after a little debate replied "Maybe Durotan was being honorable not because he wanted to but rather because he had to be." I for one am very interested in seeing where this turns.
Given the entire fuck up story the Horde got in MoP I am fed up with playing the game.

But this new expansion is shaping up to be a little bit more interesting, lore wise at least.

I will sink my teeth all those quests, especially the Horde ones.I really hoped that we would get a Burning Legion expansion and be done with killing Horde races for once.

I hope that the Horde gets to keep the remains of Iron Horde so that the balance is restored.

Level 2
I likely would have accepted the fel blood to keep on good terms with the other clans. Being surrounded by enemy orc clans on all sides with nowhere to run on a dying world is not a scenario I'd like to be in. Also, many of the orcs who drank the blood were redeemed in the end, such as Grom Hellscream and Varok Saurfang (who participated in all the attacks against the Draenei). Not drinking the blood only made Durotan a target and if he's not openly opposing the Horde, there's no reason for him to become a target other than because of his morals. I suppose Durotan was pretty damn lucky though because Gul'dan waited until the Dark Portal was opened to act upon the Frostwolf Clan's refusal to cooperate. At that point he had an entire unexplored world on which he could hide his people. At least for awhile.

They all think in that way when somebody is close to consume the power of darkness. But you can't maintain your control anymore because those stuffs are created for the purpose of soul corruption. The skull of Gul'Dan ,Blood fountain ,Frostmore are cursed artifact that the champions took blindly in order to "save their people and homeland". In fact they sold the soul to the Demons.

PS: The corruption of Blood Elves made them to leave Alliance.

Level 2
No that was Garithos' fault! He was a racist btw.

Nope. The Garithos was the biggest victim in this mess. He and his forces were possessed by the Dreadlords and he was betrayed in one way by Silvanas forces. Lord Garithos paid with life his arrogance in the beginning.
The story of the Blood Elves lies on the destruction of the Sunwell. When dwell was destroyed by the Scourge in Quel'Thalas the High elves have grown ill and "thirst for magic". The dispute between Prince Kael and Garithos meant a little to impact his illness. He willingness made pact with Naga and Illidan to lead his people into new source of "darkness energy".

Level 24
Nope. The Garithos was the biggest victim in this mess. He and his forces were possessed by the Dreadlords

He was possessed after he tried to exterminate all the blood elves not before, Garithos is the monster in this story and there's no way to turn that around. After this the blood elves joined the horde in patch 2.0 because of the actions of Garithos.

The story of the Blood Elves lies on the destruction of the Sunwell. When dwell was destroyed by the Scourge in Quel'Thalas the High elves have grown ill and "thirst for magic". The dispute between Prince Kael and Garithos meant a little to impact his illness. He willingness made pact with Naga and Illidan to lead his people into new source of "darkness energy".

He made a pact with the nagas to save his race and what happened with Illidan in Outland was after Lor'Themar and the other blood elves split from Kael'Thas so there's no way to pin that on the Horde.

Level 2
He was possessed after he tried to exterminate all the blood elves not before, Garithos is the monster in this story and there's no way to turn that around. After this the blood elves joined the horde in patch 2.0 because of the actions of Garithos.

He made a pact with the nagas to save his race and what happened with Illidan in Outland was after Lor'Themar and the other blood elves split from Kael'Thas so there's no way to pin that on the Horde.

It is to be admitted that the Garithos behavior was a monstrous act. But still the blood elves share the thirst for magic and this remain unchanged. Acquiring new source of magic is the main objective of the blood elves regardless the Garithos or anyone that was hostile to the blood elves. Simply blood elves have grown ill and nobody from the Alliance could cure from their illness.

Level 24
It is to be admitted that the Garithos behavior was a monstrous act. But still the blood elves share the thirst for magic and this remain unchanged. Acquiring new source of magic is the main objective of the blood elves regardless the Garithos or anyone that was hostile to the blood elves. Simply blood elves have grown ill and nobody from the Alliance could cure from their illness.

It's true that there are some blood elves like Zendarin Windrunner who are indeed like that but many others are also like Valeera and putting everyone under one branch is not always a smart move.

Level 24
Durotan wasnt as dumb as the other chieftains were.

Not necessarily true, I'm going to quote Chris Metzen from BlizzCon 2013 Q&A and say. "Durotan might have done what he did not because of honor but because he had to." We simply do not have sufficient knowledge of this time period to say for sure.

Level 29
Going with the hint above:
He may have been banned from drinking the blood by the soon-be warlock shamans before the ceremony could occur, because the shamans knew he wasnt as wild and powerthirsty as the other chieftains who would instantly jump on the offer, even if the macguffin of power promised to them would be revealed as 'daemon's blood'. Thus they may have feared that Durotan would ruin their plans in the last minute, but then again i dont know Frostwolf clan's standing in this time period. For such a scenario to occur they must have been the biggest of all clans or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.