• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why do you hate DOTA..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
Who said that its harder to make strategy in DotA than in melee eh?

Win a match against a Korean then you can argue with the statement.
->Win against a korean in any e-sports/e-game and you're definitely a pro

Technically speaking, nobody said it, but there were some spots where people said that DotA requires a huge amount of skill. Bunch o' crap. I learned to play DotA through melee maps, and it's obvious why. ^^

Level 25
Wow what a pro! So you are not helping your team's creeps at all! Interesting!

I don't even have words for this.

I don't want to be offensive as allways, but that's an epic fail of view to a game. It's AoS, not arena, kill mobs, or play another game.
Define ruining your lane? So destroying towers while creeps are tanking is bad?

Lots of nonsense and jibber jabber

I will not even try to discuss with you, who is claiming to have an insight within the gameplay of dota, but in reality know nothing at all about it. You don't even understand the most basic of basics of dota, and a discussion like this is pointless.

Not really, because wc3 is not like most games which has a main scenario + skirmishes... In wc3, every map can be viewed as a different game unlike in those other games in which all of the maps are just the same game with different terrain...

Its like wc3 is an older version of custom game engines like Unreal Engine... And the wc3 campaign is like the very first game made to run using that engine...

Level 9
Not really, because wc3 is not like most games which has a main scenario + skirmishes... In wc3, every map can be viewed as a different game unlike in those other games in which all of the maps are just the same game with different terrain...

Its like wc3 is an older version of custom game engines like Unreal Engine... And the wc3 campaign is like the very first game made to run using that engine...

Not really. WC3 provides much less possibilities, because of many restrictions like 3 resourses, interface (even u can change pictures). It is a game base, not just a graphic+physic engine as UE.

Vunjo

Level 14
Yes, I am the one not seeing DotA in a right way, while you are just doing arena stuff there...
I guess we will leave it as it is. We have 2 completely different ways of views, it's pointless to fight.
Oh btw:
Killing creeps -> Massing your ally's creeps -> Destroying towers -> 500 gold
Yap, it's pointless to get 500 gold, and to feel free to move around that spot without getting seen if you are invisible.

@Adiktuz, Yeah, I guess that's correct.

Level 25
eb6.jpg

I know I said I were out of this thread.

I be leaving now.

Level 16
Wow what a pro! So you are not helping your team's creeps at all! Interesting! DotA is officially an Arena map for you.
I don't want to be offensive as allways, but that's an epic fail of view to a game. It's AoS, not arena, kill mobs, or play another game.
Define ruining your lane? So destroying towers while creeps are tanking is bad? So much of the argument...

When I was reffering to the tactics, I thought of heavy maths equations, not some "I feel like we can go Rosh now, wanna do it guys?". Judging by the timing, and macro, melee maps are much more harder, and require greater amount of skill. Win a match against a Korean then you can argue with the statement.

EDIT: @Adiktuz
Indeed, I cannot equate it that way, but let's then look back to the logic, more specific, point of this thread. Other than some bad things, which could be lag cause, terrain, object editor, anything that is made in map, there is no really reason to hate a map, don't you agree?
I mean, we can hate either authors, or people. You can't blame a file/document. =)

I have to say that I agree on the roles part (most of it), but some Intelligence heroes are based on dealing damage, while even some tanks can do a better job in it.

Lets start off by saying that was a super cute heavy math equation. Fuckin' lolled at that heavy shit.

Lets take an actual look. Killing a tower gives 500-600 gold. Killing a creep gives an average of about 50 gold. 10-12 creeps = 1 tower. 4 creeps spawn every 30 seconds. If you can kill a tower in 90 seconds, then go ahead and don't last hit. You also have to be sure YOU are the one getting the kill, or else tower is worth just 200 (4 creeps = 30 seconds). Anyone who can take 9 towers in 90 seconds apiece gets my fuckin congratulations. That's 810 seconds, or 13.5 minutes.

In 13.5 minutes you would have to kill 9 towers to equal 13.5 minutes of the last hitting perfectly. If you have EVER played DotA you understand that is not only completely ridiculous but also impossible.

Also your arguement of "Win against a Korean" is incredibly racist you little shit.

@Drizzt Your arguements might be more convincing if you knew the language or had played the game recently. Really judging by a 5 year gap? Fucking pathetic.

Also you cannot claim that all custom maps and melee have same skillset. Being pro at melee doesn't mean you can play any custom scenario that isn't altered melee. You two dipshits proved that with your views of last hitting.

Also Vunjo, I responded to your 12 shitty little against DotA arguements. Don't know if you saw them or not but it was pretty pathetic and you should probably leave this thread before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

Level 18
Lets start off by saying that was a super cute heavy math equation. Fuckin' lolled at that heavy shit.

Lets take an actual look. Killing a tower gives 500-600 gold. Killing a creep gives an average of about 50 gold. 10-12 creeps = 1 tower. 4 creeps spawn every 30 seconds. If you can kill a tower in 90 seconds, then go ahead and don't last hit. You also have to be sure YOU are the one getting the kill, or else tower is worth just 200 (4 creeps = 30 seconds). Anyone who can take 9 towers in 90 seconds apiece gets my fuckin congratulations. That's 810 seconds, or 13.5 minutes.

In 13.5 minutes you would have to kill 9 towers to equal 13.5 minutes of the last hitting perfectly. If you have EVER played DotA you understand that is not only completely ridiculous but also impossible.

Also your arguement of "Win against a Korean" is incredibly racist you little shit.

@Drizzt Your arguements might be more convincing if you knew the language or had played the game recently. Really judging by a 5 year gap? Fucking pathetic.

Also you cannot claim that all custom maps and melee have same skillset. Being pro at melee doesn't mean you can play any custom scenario that isn't altered melee. You two dipshits proved that with your views of last hitting.

Also Vunjo, I responded to your 12 shitty little against DotA arguements. Don't know if you saw them or not but it was pretty pathetic and you should probably leave this thread before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

Epic win

Since when does kill stealing creeps turn an AoS into an arena map eh? You still kill creeps and support your own creeps, you just do it at the right time...

It's just like in a melee map, you wait for the right time to strike and you don't rush to the enemy's base right at the start do you?

Even in an arena map, you wait for the right time to use your skills and not just bash them all out at your target... Or at least you would do so if you're really on the game, if not, you're either playing just for the sake of playing or you just want to leave everything to your hero...

Vunjo

Level 14
1. If you don't want extra gold from towers that's your problem. It's extra gold, not farmed gold.
2. If you are unable to last hit creeps if you start at 100% of it's health, again, your problem. At least DotA is made in that way so you can still finish it off (It's sort of balanced, the hero's damage and the number of creeps times their damage).
3. Quit blaming everything on me if you don't have valid arguments.

@Adiktuz, stealing creeps is not helping, or if it is, it's just 1 or 2 hits from mobs, which clearly don't help much. I can't call it supporting creeps.

EDIT: About arena map thingy, what do you call a map, where you farm gold by finishing off creeps, and then use that gold to kill heroes? Angel Arena is the perfect example of such map, but in there, you one hit kill the creep most of the time, but it turns out the same.

And for those who don't like striking creeps at all, there's DotA Tournament/Fun Wars.

It is their strategy so let them use it... It's our freedom of choice...

Don't tell them that it is wrong to do that because there is nothing wrong with it... Telling them that they are playing it the wrong way is nonsense... There have never been a "right" way to begin with, just a standard... People improvise and that is what makes games exciting...

Also, a game or a map can really have more than 1 genre... As far as I'm concerned, DotA have long been an AoS/Arena hybrid and not a pure AoS... Or I think its better to say that Arena type gameplay have always been a part of AoS maps since the basic idea of an arena map is someone controlling a hero fighting against other players... and that idea have always been a part of AoS so it's no wonder if people prefer to focus on that part first...

Last edited:

Vunjo

Level 14
Correct, but it does affect me if players with low amount of gold are in my team. This isn't the situation like I said, so I am wrong here. But, even though there's no right and wrong way, there are better ways than another, in this context, the more profitable way. I still agree with your statement, and it's 2. time in this thread, because it's an argument that is correct.

Level 15
1. If you don't want extra gold from towers that's your problem. It's extra gold, not farmed gold.
Attacking towers probably isn't a good idea until you're level 7+. Then again, what do I know? You're just the super genius of this thread who everybody has agreed with and obviously knows everything about DotA.

2. If you are unable to last hit creeps if you start at 100% of it's health, again, your problem. At least DotA is made in that way so you can still finish it off (It's sort of balanced, the hero's damage and the number of creeps times their damage).
Why would you purposefully handicap yourself by auto-attacking instead of last-hitting? That's like pouring a bunch of salt into a wound before you let it heal. Sure, things might be okay in the long run, but you'll experience a lot of unnecessary suffering and not enjoy it whatsoever. Additionally, it might actually hinder your success longterm...

I guess we all forgot that your discourse in this thread is the pinnacle of argumentation.

About arena map thingy, what do you call a map, where you farm gold by finishing off creeps, and then use that gold to kill heroes?

DotA.

Level 3
eImtoR you can say what you want, but esports is a dumb thing. A big one.
I don't have any problem with football basket etc, because people that get money from that can do something more than bashing buttons.
I mean, you compare Edson Arantes do Nascimento (Pelè), to some esports pro guy?
I can't see how are people interested in esports. I mean, these guys are the new modern idols? We came from Jim Morrison, Ian Gillan, Maradona, to these guys?
If you think that the dude who sang Jesus Christ Superstar and In Rock is less cool than some esport pro, then man, i'll stop to argue with you.
It's not subjective, it's objective. Point.

Level 9
Why would you purposefully handicap yourself by auto-attacking instead of last-hitting?

Guy, who said you can't stop auto-attacking and last-hit another creep, then if no more almost dead creeps you go auto-attacking again - not just idling and wasiting?

I don't have any problem with football basket etc, because people that get money from that can do something more than bashing buttons.

I don't have any problems with somthing more intellectual (and almost everything is) then just running around with ball and throwing it at something/someone.
If you thing puhing buttons is main work of guy playing in EVERY game - you are really wrong. What about... for example HoMM or JA series?

Level 16

@Adiktuz, stealing creeps is not helping, or if it is, it's just 1 or 2 hits from mobs, which clearly don't help much. I can't call it supporting creeps.

EDIT: About arena map thingy, what do you call a map, where you farm gold by finishing off creeps, and then use that gold to kill heroes? Angel Arena is the perfect example of such map, but in there, you one hit kill the creep most of the time, but it turns out the same.

And for those who don't like striking creeps at all, there's DotA Tournament/Fun Wars.

You obviously didn't understand my post, or my last few posts. It's funny because you never directly respond to anything I say because I make you look like a dumbass.

I will continue to blame you for being an idiot if you obviously don't know how to play the game and continue to post in this thread. I posted valid arguements. I destroyed your "heavy math". I offered a rebuttal to all 12 points you made and you didn't respond to me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Leave this thread before you make an even bigger fool of yourself. You've already proved you don't know anything about the game you're hating on. Just stop.

Level 9
Killing a creep gives an average of about 50 gold. 10-12 creeps = 1 tower. 4 creeps spawn every 30 seconds.

Are you sure u'll last hit every creep? Expetially when there are 4 players on your line (you, 1 ally and 2 enemies).
Btw, he never dirrectly respond and usually misunderstands, you can look at thread of his orpg map.
And why I should play a map which I find borring? I don't think its main idea has changed for me to rejudge it as I find every aos and almost every arena (exept blades n gore) borring.

Level 16
There are also instances when more then 4 creeps spawn in a wave.

If you are good at the game, only one player will try to creep score in a lane on a team. This is usually the carry. The other player harasses, denies, pulls, grabs runes, wards, ganks other lanes, and grabs a few creep kills.

A good player will get about 6 cs/min (not including denies). 300 gold/min it'll be 2 minutes to make up 1 tower kill. 18 minutes of 6 cs/min will be all 9 towers. Basically you would have to take all 9 towers in under 18 minutes to equal it. That's still impossible

When you do the math, you will realize that focusing on towers instead of creeps is both idiotic, and pointless. Now please type at me again in bad English and tell me I'm wrong.

Level 9
Guy, who said you can't stop auto-attacking and last-hit another creep, then if no more almost dead creeps you go auto-attacking again - not just idling and wasiting?

Have you just skipped this? And I didn't say you have to focus on towers. Don't blame me for Vunjos ideas, please. You can quote my post where I told that if I'm lying.
Btw I thought this is thread to dicus why people dislike dota, not for dota tactics, am I wrong?
And I don't understand what do you want to do here? Are you going to make everyone playing dota? All the world one by one?
Also by the way I was meaning I haven't played it a lot this 5 years, I didn't want you to think I haven't played it at all.

Last edited:
Level 9
I just do not think that this should be discussed here. If any1 want to talk about strategies and etc he can find/create a suitable thread and do it there. This thread is just for ppl to tell why don't they like dota. I'll stop posting here cuz it is useless

Vunjo

Level 14
@Jazz, Who are you to tell me I can't play? If I was a kid right now, I would challenge you, but it won't solve any of our problems.
I have no reason to reply to someone's post who thinks he's better than someone who can earn more gold.
Besides, nobody can apsolutely prove me wrong, in the part when I said about terrain. Visibility modifiers exist for a reason, there's apsolutely no reason not to make a beautiful terrain. I am terrainer myself, and I know these things.
This is where I end with this thread.

Level 22
eImtoR you can say what you want, but esports is a dumb thing. A big one.
I mean, you compare Edson Arantes do Nascimento (Pelè), to some esports pro guy?
I can't see how are people interested in esports. I mean, these guys are the new modern idols? We came from Jim Morrison, Ian Gillan, Maradona, to these guys?
If you think that the dude who sang Jesus Christ Superstar and In Rock is less cool than some esport pro, then man, i'll stop to argue with you.
It's not subjective, it's objective. Point.

No one is saying that esports has reached the fame and importance that football or some other sports have reached. (Although in Korea SC and China War3 it is the same - a national sport. Read the articles where they became national sport War3 for China specially).

And obviously other sports take a lot more to be good and on a world level, talking about physical exercises, gawd knows how much of that, so it is explainable (like athletics).

However claiming that is dumb is dumb by itself. That is like saying that Chess is dumb, does anyone force you to watch it or play it, or your OPINION is the truth? I'm sick of such noobs like you who don't like something, don't play it, suck at it, therefore it's dumb. Seriously, go make maps and stfu, clueless one.

Level 3
No one is saying that esports has reached the fame and importance that football or some other sports have reached. (Although in Korea SC and China War3 it is the same - a national sport. Read the articles where they became national sport War3 for China specially).

And obviously other sports take a lot more to be good and on a world level, talking about physical exercises, gawd knows how much of that, so it is explainable (like athletics).

However claiming that is dumb is dumb by itself. That is like saying that Chess is dumb, does anyone force you to watch it or play it, or your OPINION is the truth? I'm sick of such noobs like you who don't like something, don't play it, suck at it, therefore it's dumb. Seriously, go make maps and stfu, clueless one.

errr

Attachments

• stillmad.jpg
    stillmad.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 136
Level 16
@Jazz, Who are you to tell me I can't play? If I was a kid right now, I would challenge you, but it won't solve any of our problems.
I have no reason to reply to someone's post who thinks he's better than someone who can earn more gold.
Besides, nobody can apsolutely prove me wrong, in the part when I said about terrain. Visibility modifiers exist for a reason, there's apsolutely no reason not to make a beautiful terrain. I am terrainer myself, and I know these things.
This is where I end with this thread.

204466-albums4802-picture57582.png

You ARE a kid. Where's my challenge?

Next off I can tell you that you are awful based on how you think about the game. If I said I'm a chess player, and my strategy is kindof a suicidal rush, that should cue people in immediately to the fact that I'm awful at chess (I'm not awful at chess it's this thing called an analogy). Having no lane control basically means you will lose.

I especially lolled at this:

I almost forgot about your "heavy maths". With no last hitting, tell me how you would earn more gold then me?

Haven't we already gone through this? A visually distracting and flashy enviroment draws player attention away from gameplay. It works well with incredibly boring RPG's, but not so well with DotA. Have you ever played DotA 2? Not only is the terrain distracting as shit, but it actually lags out my computer. I don't want Icefrog to import 50 models just for terrain, to slow down loading time and lower my frame rate. I don't give a shit what it looks like, it just needs to exist for me to play it.

Also you're a really great terrainer - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/193162-albums3861-picture36047.html
I mean you even get the rolling shores and everything! Tell me more about how you "know" these things.

And yeah you should probably end your involvement in this thread. You waste not only your time in writing your posts you also waste everyone elses in having to have them call you an idiot.

Haven't we already gone through this? A visually distracting and flashy enviroment draws player attention away from gameplay. It works well with incredibly boring RPG's, but not so well with DotA. Have you ever played DotA 2? Not only is the terrain distracting as shit, but it actually lags out my computer.

-->I agree with the DotA 2 thingy, the "goodness" of the terrain actually makes it harder to see the heroes and the paths itself (at least on the dire part)

Level 9
If you don't know - terrain is functional, for example - if something attacks unit who is standing above it or is moving - there will be some chances of miss. If terrain draws your attention - replace all terrain tiles in war3x.mpq(i don't remember exaxtly, may be in another .mpq file) by black squares

Terrain of DotA IS functional, for DotA 2, the tiles are a bit of a nuisance really...

Also terrain in map is not just the land itself, it includes the whole environment meaning it includes doodads and such... and I believe changing war3x.mpq won't affect DotA 2 dude... I think it was pretty clear that the terrain draws attention part pertains to DotA 2 not to DotA...

Level 9
That's a Wc3 function, and does not apply to moving, only above you.
No, look in game constants in world editor, there are both this constants.

@Adiktuz
This is a thread about dota, not dota 2. So I was speaking about dota. If doodads draw your attantion - u still can replace them with something like black boxes to see passability. I mean in WC3.

@DrizztDoUrden: The conversation beforehand was comparing dota to dota 2. You'd have to be a fucktard to assume that 'This is a thread about dota, not dota 2' so you can just post a confusing and fucked message which in the end has made you look stupid.

If terrain draws your attention - replace all terrain tiles in war3x.mpq(i don't remember exaxtly, may be in another .mpq file) by black squares
And you clearly have no fucking idea what they are talking about. They aren't saying the terrain in Dota (ie. Wc3) is distracting. They are saying the terrain in Dota 2 is distracting.

Then you're not reading our posts... Seriously, read first before you comment... It was clearly written that it was DotA 2's terrain that is distracting not DotA's terrain, and it was only for comparison between DotA's terrain which is non-fancy but functional to DotA 2's terrain which is fancy but not much functional because Vunjo was pointing out that terrain should be AWESOME...

And I wonder how many people can actually do that if ever DotA's terrain was drawing much attention... A lot of those player's don't even know wc3, if DotA's terrain would be fancy to the point that its distracting, then they will just not play DotA... I think IF already realized this so he doesn't try to spam useless FANCY doodads... and oh, I forgot that DotA is almost at the max file size limit, they cannot really actually add much stuff...

Level 9
DotA is almost at the max file size limit, they cannot really actually add much stuff...

It is possible to make a nice terrain without imports. Have you ever played tkok? And the main thing is just to try to get rid of blizzard clifs

k, if that discusion was just a comaprison between dota and dota 2 - why the hell it is going in thread "Why do you hate dota..??"

About people who don't change doodads and tiles (I think every1, including me). I didn't say it is a good or a popular idea (and this 2 things are often opposite, e.g. rogue-likes). I just gave a solution for any map with "too nice" terrain.
And I have never played and will never play dota 2/lol/hon, so I have no idea about what it is and how it looks.

Level 3
How is Dota2 terrain not "functional"? It's the same thing o_O
Also, the terrain doesn't draw your attention man, it does the first time, but if you really go "OOOOH, WHAT A NICE TREE" instead of "shit, i'd better move or that pudge will hook me", then you've got problems.

Its the same reason why DotA has been compared with other maps in this thread... the reason is for comparison... Every part of this thread always revolved around comparison... How do you think can you call a game bad if there is not even a single good game or a set of standards which determine good and bad... most of the valid reasons revolved around some parts of the game being bad so it is clearly been compared to some sort of standard...

Level 16
How is Dota2 terrain not "functional"? It's the same thing o_O
Also, the terrain doesn't draw your attention man, it does the first time, but if you really go "OOOOH, WHAT A NICE TREE" instead of "shit, i'd better move or that pudge will hook me", then you've got problems.

The DotA 2 terrain isn't functional because it is harder to focus on heroes and spell effects. In DotA the terrain is a very bland and monochromatic thing, and the spells/heroes are vibrant and lots of colors. In DotA 2, the terrain is monochromatic and the hero colors are a lot less vibrant. Some of the visuals of the spells are not flashy enough to draw attention because it is actually hard to see it.

Have you ever played DotA 2? Do a few matches and you'll understand why the terrain makes the game worse in DotA 2. I will say it looks nice as shit but it hurts the gameplay. I've had the DotA 2 beta for about 3 months and I just don't play it, it isn't worth it.

Level 3
The DotA 2 terrain isn't functional because it is harder to focus on heroes and spell effects. In DotA the terrain is a very bland and monochromatic thing, and the spells/heroes are vibrant and lots of colors. In DotA 2, the terrain is monochromatic and the hero colors are a lot less vibrant. Some of the visuals of the spells are not flashy enough to draw attention because it is actually hard to see it.

Have you ever played DotA 2? Do a few matches and you'll understand why the terrain makes the game worse in DotA 2. I will say it looks nice as shit but it hurts the gameplay. I've had the DotA 2 beta for about 3 months and I just don't play it, it isn't worth it.

I think it's the special effects on the spell that distracts you, I've played HoN sometimes and it had a shitload of special effects i couldn't find my hero in teamfights.
Dunno, I've never had problems with terrain honestly.
Another problem may be that the heroes are not clearly identified, because they have a lot of details and become one with the landscape, can't tell exactly now.

Level 17
you guys are going too deep on this topic. dota is a fun map because you can pwn noobs. THAT IS WHY EVERYONE PLAYS IT. if you cant pwn then you will hate it. it is the competitive nature of the map that draws players from all over the world. people join a game with the hopes of winning and crushing the opposing team. and the sense of accomplishment gained when winning a game will always bring you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.