• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What would you change about DoTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Hey all Zerox here. I just thought of a fun idea. Lots of people like DoTA, and lots of people hate it. I just thought this would be a neat thread to do.

So here's how it works.

Just post what you would add.

For example:

What characters would you add? Would you add new skills? What about the terrain is there stuff there you would change?

Keep in mind this is all just for fun and DoTA probably won't ever change to the things we post here. Anyway have fun. :mwahaha:

Level 15
First of all, I'd have Void make a completely new terrain for it.
Second, I'd remove anything that is just an out-right stun (basically anything that is direct target and has no chance of missing unless you mis-click).
Third, I'd add a damage-slow system like Ninjas on Battle.Net so that it's not impossible to chase.
Fourth, I'd make Aghanims effect everyone, and it would work for all of their skills. It'd be an uber buff for the hero, equivalent to that of investing in items. The cost, of course, would be greater.
Oh, and I'd remove Invoker.

Level 14
It really isn't relevant what I've made myself. I don't particularly want to discuss what I would change about DotA, I only wanted to say that it deserves a full remake considering the stature of the map. The community, for all of its size, deserves at least that much.

Level 12
reduce the durations of some slows, becouse they are waaay to long

make so that all heroes actually require some sort of thinking / skill, becouse many of them are basicly "get high damage and such items + cast 1-2 spells" and then the hero is maxxed out :S

Level 11
Because I do not recognize the Hive as a modding community I want to be associated with as a mapmaker.

Too much logical fail here for me to overlook.

1. Why are you posting here then?

2. Uploading your map here does not automatically associate yourself with the community.

3. I have much less activity on these forums than you, and yet I have uploaded my map here. I wonder who appears to be more associated with the Hive...

4. You think too much of yourself. Really now, is anyone actually following your career? Associations only matter when others are watching; would you be kind enough to elaborate on why you care about your perceived associations?

5. Disregarding the epic fail that is your sentence, why would you post it here? If this was WC3C that would be another story, but here?

Level 20
That didn't really answer the question of where to get your map. And I read it as a whole.

"Because I do not recognize the Hive as a modding community I want to be associated with as a mapmaker."

The two do not connect. There are map makers here at the Hive. And whether your a map maker or not the hive is still a modding community.

I believe what you meant is this:

I do not want to associate myself with the Hive because it is a mod community and I am a map maker not a modder.

Well, first I would balance out the Sentinel and the Scourge, last time I checked, the Scourge had at least 5 more heroes than the Sentinel.

Really? Guess I don't now DoTA as well as I thought I did. XD I'm gonna go count now.

Level 11
I believe what you meant is this:

I do not want to associate myself with the Hive because it is a mod community and I am a map maker not a modder.

Rising_Dusk needs to speak for himself, but I am almost certain that is not what he meant. The meaning was much more sinister and complicated than that...hence my scathing post above.

PS: What he meant (far as I can tell) was that he doesn't regard this community very highly, and thus, does not want to really be associated with it.

Level 14
Karawasa said:
Too much logical fail here for me to overlook.
If you're going to speak about logic (Guess it's more ethos, but still), you should probably avoid insulting a person in your first sentence. It immediately nullifies your point, makes you subject to punishment, and makes you look silly. I will, however, dignify the rest of your post because I do not appreciate your tasteless remarks and want to elaborate.
Karawasa said:
Why are you posting here then?
Because regardless of my discontent with the site as a modding community, I want to help it improve.
Karawasa said:
2. Uploading your map here does not automatically associate yourself with the community.
There is a difference between the modding community and the site community. Surely you recognize that.
Karawasa said:
3. I have much less activity on these forums than you, and yet I have uploaded my map here. I wonder who appears to be more associated with the Hive...
I'm fairly associated with the site, but certainly not the modding community. Please see my above point.
Karawasa said:
4. You think too much of yourself.
I fail to see how you can deduce this from anything I've said.
Karawasa said:
Really now, is anyone actually following your career? Associations only matter when others are watching; would you be kind enough to elaborate on why you care about your perceived associations?
Why should it matter to anyone but myself? I have personal reasons, all of which relate back to how this site is run, that make me not want to submit my work here. I don't see where my career or anything of the sort actually matters to you. You're taking things entirely out of context and blowing them out of proportion, please respect me and don't do that.
Karawasa said:
Disregarding the epic fail that is your sentence, why would you post it here? If this was WC3C that would be another story, but here?
Disregarding your blatant insult, I post it here because I am honest, someone asked me, and I am not ashamed of how I think.

I trust that I have responded satisfactorily.

Oh, and --
Karawasa said:
PS: What he meant (far as I can tell) was that he doesn't regard this community very highly, and thus, does not want to really be associated with it.
You interpreted my statement very incorrectly. I don't like the way the site is run in many regards, nor the way resources are handled. I disagree with the site's submission policies, or rather lack thereof, and do not think it is a suitable environment for my work. Therefore I do not post my work here. I, however, want to help the site and like some people here, so I still post. That's surely legitimate, is it not?

Level 11
You interpreted my statement very incorrectly. I don't like the way the site is run in many regards, nor the way resources are handled. I disagree with the site's submission policies, or rather lack thereof, and do not think it is a suitable environment for my work. Therefore I do not post my work here. I, however, want to help the site and like some people here, so I still post. That's surely legitimate, is it not?

That is surely legitimate, and this misunderstanding is the cause for our exchange. Your original post did not do a good job of expressing your point of view, though I will retract most of my statements in light of your explanation.

I don't agree with your distinction between the modding and site community, this is after all a site about modding WC3.

I will concede though that the opening to my post was poor, and I apologize for it.

Level 14
Karawasa said:
That is surely legitimate, and this misunderstanding is the cause for our exchange. Your original post did not do a good job of expressing your point of view, though I will retract most of my statements in light of your explanation.

I don't agree with your distinction between the modding and site community, this is after all a site about modding WC3.

I will concede though that the opening to my post was poor, and I apologize for it.
I respect your comments here and accept your apology. I must confess that I prefer to avoid such lengthy explanations by succinctly speaking my mind, but sometimes people call me out on it and I end up spending a lot of time explaining anyways. Such is the way of things, though.

You know, though, this is one of the few WC3 modding sites that spends a significant amount of effort and space on matters entirely unrelated to WC3 modding. Not that it is a problem, but I find that many users actually frequent only specific sections of the site. (And if you ever go to chat, you'll find it entirely void of modding discussion) I fear that such a distinction is necessary -- though by no means is its discussion warranted in this topic, so I'll leave it at that.

Level 5
Change it to a snow map, remake all the terrain, new details, some fresh air man.
I would like to see more items, and maybe remove items that isn't much in play, I mean there is more populair items then others.

I would also add more items that has blink and stuff, I know there is one but it's hell expensive, they should give a shop with that kind of more cheap strategic items. Would be really cool.

Remove the ban system that people use, lol I think it's redicilous with that shit, I know it doesen't belong like it's inplented to the map, but they only use the ban program for dota it seems.
and I would like to see custom music in the game.

Level 14
Change it to a snow map [...]
Personally, i prefer the current tileset over a snowy one. If you like snowy terrain that much, use -ts.

[...] Remove the ban system that people use [...]
This has nothing to do with DotA. Its a separate program (refer to banlist.nl for further details) and it is not limited to DotA games only.

[...] custom music [...]
Not going to happen. Its totally useless and wastes a LOT of space needed for other things.

I would like to see the power of stuns reduced by either using a maximum stun time, after which you will be forcefully unstunned and stay unstunned for a certain amount of time, or giving stun spells a chance to fail (or giving every hero a certain chance to avoid stuns).
Slows should be unstackable, or only stackable to a limited extend (a maximum slow percentage).
Other forms of disabling an enemy should also be nerfed (hex, mezz, doom (well, its fine the way it currently is, i think), ...).

Another thing is the bad code....iirc DotA is still using I2H and DestroyTrigger (AND dynamic triggers), both suspected to cause severe bugs.
DotA still uses EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ATTACKED in places where EVENT_UNIT_DAMAGED is more appropriate (and would avoid stupid bugs). I guess theres no way you can fix this all at once, but you should fade out LHV-usage over the course of some updates.

Maybe ill add more things later...

Deaod

Level 17
the only one i can think of that uses Player Unit Attacked is Axe's Counter Helix, and its supposed to be that way. If you turn it into a Unit Damage, it would be seriously messed up :p

Phantom Lancers Juxtapose, Spirit Breakers Aura & his Greater Bash to mention a few.

Hmm, what would i change?

1.remove bloodseeker from the game. That hero just ruins every game he joins.
2.balance it more.
3.reterrain it so that the top and bottom lanes wouldn't look the same, for example a lane with less trees. This means that it would be the place to go for heroes that are weak against backstabbing.
4. Add more and funnier items.
5.Remove Roshan or replace him with another boss that is harder and has cool triggered spells.

Though i doubt Icefrog would change any major things, cuz he is a bitch.

Level 12
ehm, if those were Unit Damaged, Spirit Breaker would be able to bash with Radiance(unless they would dummy-ed it), Spirit Breakers aura could make spellcasters deal extra damage on spells(becouse you cant detect if its a spell that deals damage or if its an attack(unless you use a system which would require you to remake certain abilities very much)) and Phantoms Lancers Juxtapose would be triggered by Radiance aswell, and would not work if you implement the system mentioned before(i think)

in short, they would make Radiance uber-imba, unless you implemented a Attack Damage detect system which would probably would require you to remake some other abilities. And as far as I see it, they arent a major threat to the balance as it is now either, becouse i think the "abuses" have prevented already

Status
Not open for further replies.