• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Terrain upscaled by AI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I was very frustrated with how the terrain textures looked in the original warcraft on a big screen, so I processed the textures with neural network to upscale it twice - you can see the result in the attached screenshots.

P.S. I wanted to put it in hive resources but didn't find a proper category for that

Some textures compare before/after view

Download MPQ

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_111122_231528_01.tga
    14.1 MB · Views: 90
  • WC3ScrnShot_111122_232147_01.tga
    14.1 MB · Views: 19
  • WC3ScrnShot_111122_232706_01.tga
    14.1 MB · Views: 12
  • WC3ScrnShot_111122_233015_01.tga
    14.1 MB · Views: 12

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am not sure if the quality is worth the large increase in video memory used. Might at least require using DDS with DXTC compression to try and keep it under control.

Terrain tiles might have issues with aliasing at higher resolutions as they do not use mipmaps when being rendered, likely to avoid tile bleeding.

Level 4
I am not sure if the quality is worth the large increase in video memory used
That's right, the hardware requirements are going up. However, if you have more or less fresh vga you will have the necessary memory reserve for this.
I test it on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile in 2K resolution + render edge where i enabled all improvements except post effects and fps still was high.

Might at least require using DDS with DXTC compression to try and keep it under control.
does warcraft engine know how to work with this?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
does warcraft engine know how to work with this?
Yes. They seem to have dropped first party BLPs entirely in recent versions, with all textures being DDS with some sort of DXTC compression even when it does not make sense for them to be so. BLPs in custom maps are still loaded.

By the sounds of it you are using a legacy build of Warcraft III? In which case be aware that some legacy WC3 versions had problems with BLP textures larger than 512 in any dimension. Very old legacy builds would out right refuse to load such textures. More recent legacy builds would still load the texture but drop all mipmap levels with a dimension wider than 512 pixels. TGA textures should load up to any resolution, but these have very poor compression so generate impractically big files for high resolution textures, and I am unsure if they have mipmaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.