• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warcraft: A New Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Yeah we had some (well several) issues with the forum/hosting, activity and what not and lost a lot of work when it went down. You can submit ideas via the website www.wclotd.com, our fb page or moddb (and obviously this thread).

I don't know about the trees, I have basic copies but I'm not sure of their final when twif 'gets back' - I'll pester him to post something up - I personally thnk they could do with community tweaks ;)

For reasons regarding to your website Grey, I suggest not making the forums entirely flash based. It discourages users to stay and navigate your site. You can keep it simple and remove the flash framework for faster loading times. Though this issue does not pertain to me, but it may to other users with a slower connection. Not only that but loading the flash and waiting can get pretty annoying, even though it only loads about 0-2 seconds.

Other than that, keep up the good work. I am always checking it daily for any updates.

Level 20
Oh - well to be brutally honest it's sad even calling them 'forums' - It's not intended for anything more than idea submission - and the forums themselves aren't actually flash - the site is in a whole - and there is nothing we can do about that without making another site from scratch, it is a 'flash site' in a flash frame. Ultimately if/when we get bigger and more geared toward a release a proper forum can be erected* and a non-flash site either to replace the current one or compliment it.

I do realise it's annoying and it means a lot to know at least one person uses it for updates ^^

I only hope I can put some more up very very soon.

*This would be a great area for the 'community' to help out with - feel free to make 'wclotd' forums, wikis or similar fan sites - if it's nice, active and has a fair bit of content we'll even make it official - The above are all things we'd like to do but all require time better spent on actually developing the game/mod, so if anyone wants to try their hand at it - your more than welcome and we'll supply information/resources directly when we can to support such followings ;)

Level 6
That's a nice project you have going on, if you guys need any im more than eager to help :), perhaps throw in some concept art like those 2 i've made after reading this post.

grenadier 001.jpg

mok'nathal 001.jpg

Level 20
^This.

Always nice to see some support and those concepts are actually pretty kick-ass, I like the concept of the first and execution of the second. We'll find a use for them no doubt!
How would you like to be credited, via your hiveworkshop username?

-> Still waiting on TWIF's 'email' ?

Level 20
THE GOOD
Well, 2,400 (+1) replies.
Thanks guys, girls, people, ponies ;)

THE BAD
TWIF has been absent from skype and his time on hive has dropped drastically for coming up to a month or so now.
I've also been unable to get ahold of TWIF at all in the last 48-72hrs.
While this is nothing to be particularly alarmed about - I still haven't received his techtrees, so progress on that side of things is uhh... well... honestly? Null.

THE DOWNRIGHT UGLY
He's not the only one we've lost contact with, I've not seen Roarman on Skype or the Hive for quite some time now and he had the latest version of the 'map' and it's data structures, systems and similar. I'm hoping TWIF has a copy, but if he doesn't or just never comes back (lol?) - Umm.

Yeah, blame it on bad organisation. I think a lot of the team have just lost interest, although few will openly admit it.

Were not dead... yet.
So no f*kin haha, fail posts thankyou very much. I'll consider them spam and report them as such :p

FINGERS CROSSED...

Level 20
^Bump.

UPDATE

Nothing major, we just have a mobile version of the website now.
It's nothing fancy but it gets the job done for anyone who fancies checking up on our progress while on the move.

http://m.wclotd.net
or you should be automatically redirected from www.wclotd.com to the above (assuming your using an iphone, android etc).

The mobile version isn't flash, so any browser on any device should be 100% compatible!

Level 20
Right sadly, were really looking for more practical roles at the time being.
That's not to say we won't need writers but the melee portion of the game comes first and we have very little need for lore or background story until the game reaches a playable/releasable state.

However I appreciate the offer and will gladly return to it when the need for more writers arises.

I wouldnt mind taking a look at the progress. I'm always willing to help.
I'm pretty handy with GUI work. I have some experience in creating heroes, custom buttons, a few custom abilities, terrain, etc. Just general stuff.
If you're interested in hearing some ideas, send me a PM.

Edit: Also maybe look into getting an online database to store the latest map.
That would save single people from owning the latest copy and going inactive.
Also.. maybe see about people making their data etc into mods and just copy+pasta the data afterwards.
Spreading the map always leads to leaks.

Level 20
We have a dropbox folder as of a couple of days ago, that's working nicely as before like you said it was rather problematic when a user with lots of data we needed was away for a while.

I won't lie, the situation is pretty dire at the moment so most if not all physical help we can get is much appreciated! I'm away this weekend but if you guys are indeed up for it, I'm happy to talk next week sometime.

Do you have Skype or does hive pm/email work best?

Level 5
Well, the way I see it is that if you can't do the practical things done (yet) then do the writing. When the editor doesn't screw up I could do things. Mmmph, I might try my hand at doing something ...

Level 10
Well, the way I see it is that if you can't do the practical things done (yet) then do the writing. When the editor doesn't screw up I could do things. Mmmph, I might try my hand at doing something ...

There's no point to waste time a resources with "the writing" if they can't get the practical things done. The problem is they have dozens of people lined up to fill the writing/lore positions because everyone wants to make up a story about what happens after Wc3: TFT. The problem is a story is completely useless if there's no game to back it up.

I think that's the point Grey is trying to make. They really need people who can help actually make the game right now, then they can worry about lore and story.

If you would like to go and start up a storyboard for the campaign, then please do; I'm positive they'd be extremely grateful. However, don't expect anything to be used or considered in the near future as they are far too concerned with actually getting this game up and off the ground.

Level 5
There's no point to waste time a resources with "the writing" if they can't get the practical things done. The problem is they have dozens of people lined up to fill the writing/lore positions because everyone wants to make up a story about what happens after Wc3: TFT. The problem is a story is completely useless if there's no game to back it up.

I think that's the point Grey is trying to make. They really need people who can help actually make the game right now, then they can worry about lore and story.

If you would like to go and start up a storyboard for the campaign, then please do; I'm positive they'd be extremely grateful. However, don't expect anything to be used or considered in the near future as they are far too concerned with actually getting this game up and off the ground.

Well, what the hell is getting the game off the ground then? Is it importing some WoW models and changing the model of a marine? The writing pretty much is integral because:

1) You can't do the campaign without the writing. The end. You can't just make a mission out of nowhere.

- And thus, since this is Battle.net 0.2 -- say goodbye to the multiplayer aspects (for the moment at least).

2) The writing is the heart and the soul of the project.

3) You just don't get anyone to fill the project roles. To be honest, this project is kind of being marketed like a fan-dream; I mean, well.

4) 'Wasting' resources is pretty-much if you're a cynic who is going to abandon-ship on the project if you think its heading nowhere, kind of like an allegory to a guild in WoW, ironically enough.

5) You don't jump into the practical things straight away. A film without a script... et cetera. Of course, you can do an outline and ad-lib/improvise whatever; but you do need some kind of outline.

Listen; I don't know your project very well or intimately, so my judgement isn't valid, I know that. Only the superficialities of the project are really visible to me. I don't know what the project is really doing or what its current goals really are. I would be interested in doing something that wouldn't just be relegated to the writing. Anything that is Editor-related (but god, not data) and not art-wise. If I knew that the team members were committed and dedicated; then I would support this project even if it took two decades to make.

"There's no point to waste time a resources with "the writing" if they can't get the practical things done. The problem is they have dozens of people lined up to fill the writing/lore positions because everyone wants to make up a story about what happens after Wc3: TFT. The problem is a story is completely useless if there's no game to back it up. "

This, this this this this this this THIS

Since the start this project has been plagued by an overabundance of people filling positions that if anything are fluff and a lack of people to do the actual practical work that actually turns the fluff into something people can play. Art and Lore are nice, but without an actual game they are inherently useless.

Level 20
Thanks wolf, that put it into perspective for me;

Were trying make a mod/game, not write a book.
Sorry but the lore comes second in this and I say that after originally joining this project as writing director so... trust me when I say it's the way things have got to be done and the way they will be done.

Level 5
Yeah, but what is the 'practical' side of things? I'm a bit confused here. If art is impractical, then shouldn't the only real thing needed to get the game running is to create and adjust units, then -- unique models would be impractical. I dunno, I'm just confused. I don't know. If you explain the project I would help out.

Level 20
Guys please, enough.
Yes it's a damn site more work than you can imagine - just ask Richie Rich, TWIF and others who've worked on the data :/

If it were that easy we'd be done by now ;)
As for your application, I appreciate it but right now - I'm afraid to take anyone on, I don't know where the project is going to go from here with TWIF absent I have a lot of the major decisions riding on me and while he trusts me to make them I want to take my time and ensure I'm happy with outcome.

I'll most certainly add you to the list and your not alone Soliloquy, I just said the exact same thing to someone else who applied over email.

In a nutshell: If I said yes you'd have nothing to do, so what's the point?
When were back on track I'll be in touch ;)

Level 12
Haha, it's the same damn thing as with Europe: The Art of War. Incredible ultra WOW shocks of RUSHING ideas and work, to some time of... Passing out. Until the project for some reason comes up AGAIN AND WITH LOTS OF UPDATES AND TEASERS AND ALL until it goes off a bit again... And so it goes. Happens with all the big, to-be-sucessful projects. Also, Grey Nightmare, you are just really nice. And I see Terminator is on a distinguished road :D

Level 13
progress updates won't start reappearing
They will come though, oh they'll come ;)

Not if i can help it!
Here are a few WIPs and such:

Rexxarlowpolywip.jpg

Here is Lowpoly rexxar, not textured.

Rexxarhighpolywip.jpg

Here is high poly rexxar, i have actually done more armor on him but my zbrush can't take more than 30 million polies so it crashes :3

Iconshow.jpg

Here are some icons called attack, holdposition, stop, patrol and move in no perticular order. I think i'm going to remake the stop icon i'm not very satisfied with it.

Now i have to go mow my lawn before it starts to rain.

Level 20
Why so late?

I shan't list all the reasons but here are a few:

-> It's exam season (haven't we heard this one before)
-> TWIF is absent and is still unsure when he'll be able to return (IF he returns at all).
-> Were due a reorganisation of how we manage the team and project development, it's a bit messy at the moment - we need to decide whose in charge, whose still with us and then we need to replace several members and hire a few new ones (replace those who left or aren't in contact, were not kicking anyone).

All the above plus more should be over/done/sorted late June, early July (in an ideal world).

We'll probably re-open recruitment and heighten advertisement before we start heavy work again - were going to ensure our management plans stop "this" from happening again, if that means a few weeks without work, so be it in the long run I'll be glad we took the time ;)

@Sasuhkun - Thanks, your support as always it is most appreciated :wink:

@Walle - What can I say? I'm speechless, utterly speechless. In a good way.
A very good way. At times I feel your the only reason we've made it this far. Good job man, good job. :thumbs_up:

Level 12
For some reason I do not like wood on those icons, but except for that they're fine. I do agree with remaking the stop sign, for the shield looks a bit... Twisted somehow. And I don't really have to say anything about the WIPs, do I? (+rep! :D)

No problem at all Grey, after all, spending some minutes of the day cheering up good people on a good project is the very least I could do. (Least I could do HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. If you got that then you know a very nice webcomic. Still.)
Also, +rep for being a excellent manager and planning things ahead so that this pauses won't happen again and because I just like giving endless streams of +rep for people that deserve it.

Level 20
UPDATE

So I said you wouldn't see one until Late June/Early July - I lied.
Well no I didn't, but we've decided you deserve a little heads up on what's going on.. so here it is, it's really not much but it's news nonetheless.

gnomey.png

So the image isn't upto the usual standard of our concept art - nor is it finished.
That's because I began to draw this one (I don't plan on 'finishing' it either, we have more important stuff to do right now) - but yes for those of you who haven't guessed it's a gnome, which already confirms one thing (despite our protests against wow content lol - lore whores claim to the fact they appeared in the 2nd Warcraft? - As for this particular gnome, is it a unit? Is it a Character? Only time will tell...

See Walle's post haha!

Now I've not spoken to Richie in person for a while now but I'm led to believe he just finished doing the base data for many more Orc units, I'd wager were on tier 3 or late tier2 right about now, but don't take my word for it. All in all progress in this department is slow but he's doing the best he can and we love him for it ^^ and little progress is better than no progress so.. we can't really complain!

Now... On a side note, this is kind of embarassing but when did we last mention heroes to you guys did we tell you about the 'Updated' system? I don't think we did and a quick flickback reveals nothing - Heh at least this gives you an idea of how disorganized we are. I know TWIF planned on showing you just before he went MIA - Unless anyone states otherwise I'll presume he didn't and write up something about that very soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.