• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Warcraft 3 Sandbox Balancing Map

Level 2
Hello everyone,

I've recently been brainstorming an exciting idea that could revolutionize the gameplay experience in Warcraft III, and I'm eager to hear your feedback. Is this possible with the WC3Editor? Let's dive in.

The Concept:

Traditionally, balancing in Warcraft III has been solely managed by Blizzard. But what if we could change that? Imagine a custom map where you place all units and buildings on a simple layout. Here, every unit and building can be modified in terms of their main stats—health points, movement speed, attack speed, defense, abilities, and potentially even unit size, among others.

This customization wouldn’t require the WC3Editor. Buildings could be adjusted to determine which unit is created, the speed of creation, and more, all based on the standard values from Blizzard’s melee maps. Once you've set your version of balancing that you believe enhances the melee game, making it more fun and balanced, you can simply hit 'save' within the custom map. On the backend, all current or a defined set of maps with your new balancing will be published, complete with descriptions of what has changed and why.

Testing and Community Involvement:

To really put these rebalanced melee maps to the test, we would need a matchmaking platform like W3Champions to partner up with the project, integrated with a "most popular" version of "WC3Sandbox" or something similar. This platform would allow the community to decide, based on popularity, which version they prefer for competitive gaming and also give the possibility to host tournaments etc.

Your Role:

This initiative offers a simple way for those who are not familiar with WC3Editor to engage in the rebalancing of the melee game based solely on metrics. Through community-driven matchmaking, every player has a say in determining the most enjoyable and competitive versions of the game.

I am excited about the possibilities this project could bring and would love to get your input. Do you think this could work? What features would you want to see?

Level 39
This is conceptually a cool idea I guess. I don’t mean to just be a rude skeptic here but this gives off massive “draw the rest of the owl” or “step 3: ???, step 4: profit” energy:
This customization wouldn’t require the WC3Editor. Buildings could be adjusted to determine which unit is created, the speed of creation, and more, all based on the standard values from Blizzard’s melee maps. Once you've set your version of balancing that you believe enhances the melee game, making it more fun and balanced, you can simply hit 'save' within the custom map. On the backend, all current or a defined set of maps with your new balancing will be published, complete with descriptions of what has changed and why.
Do you have any idea how this would be accomplished? I do and it appears to be a massive amount of work. Modifying OE data is one of the easiest/most direct things you can do with the WE (and requires literally 0 knowledge/experience at all), so I don’t see why bypassing the general concept of the WE altogether is appealing.

Trying to build a workflow to kludge a campaign file full of melee maps together to share OE data seems a more worthwhile venture. How often are people in the melee community really jonesing for easier ways to modify melee maps? (Genuine question, I don’t interact with melee.)

Level 2
Hey thanks for the reply. No I think I work to much and everything must be "draw the rest of the owl" written. In the End I just would like to create a Custom Map in which you can balance the meele game in an easy way. And also wondered if I could do it as a side hobby since I think it would be a nice project with a cool spin to the game.

What do you mean by a lot of work? ^^

I am new to W3Editor but I studied Computer Science and coded before(if that helps), but kinda got of it at work.

Thanks again for the info's so far

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I think you should contact the makers of W3Champions as that has already established itself as a successful alternative to Blizzard's Warcraft 3. I'm not sure if you've heard of it but it's basically a private server for playing ladder games which also addresses and fixes many other issues. It uses the latest Blizzard patch, but it also has it's own custom maps that have triggers for -voting and floating text to display gold mine worker count as well as denies.

My point is that if you want the community to design it's own patches then W3Champions would likely be the best place for that. I'm actually very surprised that they haven't already tried to do so, seeing as how players complain about a lack of support from Blizzard and then complain whenever they do get a patch since it's generally off the mark. They're using a community driven platform that could easily create it's own balance patches in a matter of minutes, but I suppose the dev(s) either don't want the hassle of managing balance themselves or are worried about severing the player base even more with poor decisions.

Perhaps you could spark the idea, it usually only takes a handful of driven people to really bring these projects to life.

Last edited: