• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Wizards Manor - Sandbox Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
WIZARDS MANOR

Hello, and welcome to my next idea, which I hope will work fairly well.

You play as a magic user simply known as the wizard. The wizard is a person who practises magic, and in this game you will play as him and build up your arcane skills! There is alot of minigames that help you, but we will start as if you have just loaded up the game with no save.

Stats

At the start, you can put bonus points into stats. They are:

Skill - Your skill level determines the kind of items you can craft. In other words, the higher your skill, the more things are avaliable to you.
Basically if your skill is higher than your chosen item, you can craft it.

Magic - Your magic level unlocks elemental spells at milestones. These spells can enhance certain things or perform tasks faster.

Creativity - COMING SOON (when custom items come into play)

Your stats can be viewed on a multiboard, along with some other stuff.

The manor

Next up, you are shown the manor. There are 3 main rooms, known as the wings, which branch off from a center point, that has a nice fountain in it. There are a further 4 rooms, known simply as the inner rooms.

Alchemy Wing - The wing in which the wizard practises alchemy. More on alchemy later.

Incubator Wing - The wing in which the wizard practises creature creation. More on creature creation later.

Stable Wing - The wing in which the wizard holds the dragons which pull his chariot (I know, I know) which can be fed and matured. Slightly less important, but still fun. Probably not in the first release, though.

Library - The library is where, if you spend enough time here, you can learn new things, such as more alchemy potions. Also stores books which you can buy in later releases.

Dormatory - This is where the wizard sleeps. It can be used to get to certain times (either morning, midday or midnight). Time is important for numerous reasons, as you will find out soon enough.

Teleporter - The teleporter, if supplied with a warp gem, can take you straight to the shops.

Arena - The arena should be where creatures are hatched if the wizard believes them to be in any way dangerous. If they turn out to be dangerous, the enchanted suits of armour will fight them.

Alchemy

Alchemy is probably the first thing to be released and is the easiest out of all of the things you can do. You will first select the potion you wish to create. A recipe will be shown by either a cinematic of the wizard reading it, or an instant message. Next up, you will go to the cauldron and start. There are multiple things you can do:

Reagents - Reagents are needed as the base, and at least one reagent is added at the first step. The wizard has unlimited supplies of some reagents, but others will need to be bought from the shops.

Stir and Broil - Stiring and Broiling are steps that are added to, to be honest, pad out the process. Stirring is normally needed after adding liquid reagents and broiling after solid reagents.

Enchant - Uses an elemental spell on it. This is only used on the more advanced recipes.

Bottle - Bottling the mixture ends the process and gives you one of two items: Failed Mixture or The potion you were creating. Failed Mixtures have pretty much no value what so ever.

??? - More to come soon

For example, to create a 'Flame Cocktail' you need to add a dragons scale and broil, then bottle. Simple enough. Flame Cocktails are easy to make and are used in numerous other things.

Now what is there to do with your finished potion? Well you could sell it at the potions emporium to earn money for new ingredients, or it might be used in another activity, or you could test it on something. You could always drink it yourself, it might give the wizard extra speed, extra skill or some other effect.

Creature Creation

Creature creation, probably released after alchemy is up and running, is a more complicated thing. With Alchemy, you are given strict instructions on what to do, but with CC, you need to work it out yourself. To start off, you need to put the base item into the incubator. This is most likely an egg or fossil. Next, other things need altering.

Atmosphere - Inside the incubator, the atmosphere can be altered. It can be sunny and warm, snowy and cold, dark and spooky, stormy and frightening, rainy and damp, foggy and misty and loads of others.

Terrain - The terrain also needs to be altered. Grass, Sand, Rocks, Water, Ice, even Lava or another animals body.

As I said, the instructions will not read 'To create a vitality wisp, place an uncorked health potion into the incubator in sunny conditions with grass terrain.' It might instead read: 'To create a vitality wisp, place an uncorked health potion into the incubator. Vitality wisps are used to heal organic matter by using solar energy'

Now what to do with your new creature. First off, hatch it if it needs to be hatched and stick it in a cage. You can either sell it to the Creature Dealer, see how it fares in the arena, or keep it for reagents. Vitality wisps give off spores which are used in potions, for instance. Some higher level creatures do peculiar things, such as cause reagents to multiply or change day into night.

Dragon Training

If you find special tomes, you can train the stabled dragons to do two things:

Work - Teaching a dragon to work will get you to the market faster. It normally takes around 5 game hours to get to the market on an untrained dragon, but the time is reduced by 45 minutes for each level, with a maximum of 5 levels. Let me just do the maths...that would mean a fully trained worker can get you to the market in 1 hour 15 minutes, or something near to it.

Fight - Teaching a dragon to fight will allow you to fight your dragon against creatures in the arena - this is the only combat in the game. Every level gives your dragon a new ability:
1 - attack, 2 - fireball, 3 - regeneration, 4 - breath of fire, 5 - rebirth
A level 5 fighting dragon will allow you to fight in special competitions to earn reagents or tomes as prizes!

Shopping

To get to the market, you can either use your chariot, which takes 5 game hours at the start of the game but can be reduced through dragon training, or warp gems, which are expensive but take no time at all. The market consists of 5 shops, which change depending on the time.

The shops are:

Potion Emporium - Buys and sells potions and reagents. Closes at night.

Creature Dealer - Buys and sells creatures and creature parts. Closes at night.

Tome Store - Buys and sells tomes and books (most likely closed in the first version) Open 24 hours a day.

Gem Collector - Sells warp gems. Open 24 hours a day.

Black Market - Sells dark magic items that cannot be sold. Closes during the day.

Day/Night

The time of day plays a big part in wizards manor, as you will see:

Market - You have just seen that a special shop opens at night time only.

Reagents - Some reagents will only work during the day or the night. Also, when the greenhouse is added, some plants will only grow at certain times.

Creatures - Creatures can be nocturnal (sleep at day), diurnal (sleep at night) or everwaking (never sleep/ethereal). This means that they can't perform their abilities or be sold when they are asleep, unless specified (the dream warden, for instance, has an ability called 'dream catcher' that only activates when it is sleeping)

Poltergiest - The poltergiest shows up on random nights to help or hinder. More often than not he will steal reagents or spook animals, but sometimes he will leave trails of the unique 'ghost residue' which can be used in an advanced potion.

Thats it so far, but if you have suggestions or comments, please share them with me. You might think it is a bit childish, but that contributes to its charm I think.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Level 8
I was wondering about that one. I think that it might go multiplayer after at least two of the systems are perfected, but to be honest, some of it wouldn't work, like for instance the night/day system. Some bits would be better or added, like trade between players.

Level 18
I have few suggestions concerning your "Creativity" stat.
1) Are the wizards able to create magical item ?
2) If yes, the more creativity they have, the more item they can create. Basically it shows how far they know how to create magical items and how far they are curious. So a wizard with lots of Creativity will be able to create magical items with more elements (fire, ice, earth, wind basically, but then attributes for item like deadly (give critical), grace (give avoid), bloody (critical), holy (give bonus against undead), Drain (...)). Those are only example and must be reworked.

EDIT: Excuse my dumbness but what is a "Sandbox game" ?

Level 12
what coud you do about multyplayer, singeplayer?
Well my idea is to make a singleplayer map and then also make a second map (small and multyplayer) so like you can create creatures in single player and then save them by some save load system and on second map like fight aginst other real players for special prizes. well thats it for now, if you like it i might think of some more ideas

Level 8
Not a bad idea. If one could save dragons/creatures to fight in another map, that might work out quite well.

Also, alchemy is now a bit different to make it easier for me to trigger. Stiring/Broiling/Watering Down/Emptying now effects INTENSITY, which is the power of the cauldron. It is sort of a mathmatical puzzle, you have to get the intensity to the right amount.
EG stir clockwise = +2, stir anticlockwise = -1, broil = +5, water = -4, empty = 0
So to get 3, stir clock, stir clock, stir anticlock

Level 10
Lol I'm a human dude....nah just joking. I have moderate knowledge in system and spell making. A bit in terrain but I won't recommend myself yet hehe.

Well ok we can work on it both. I am on vacation sort of and I'm currently finishing up a beta on my map. So~ I wont be starting it up yet. But if you want you can start, I'll catch up in a few weeks or so. I've got some new Ideas for the map. Lemme know yours as well.

Level 5
Ok, Im also working on a project right now. Im a moderate terrainer, and a pretty good(I think) system maker in GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.