• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Warcraft 3 overhaul now live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
here are some Screenshots I've taken to compare.
If you would like to help out with a few building and doodad models to completely finish this let me know so I can give you the teams contact info.
Warcraft Rebirth mod

Oh and the way the MPQ works all you custom campaign makers who used vanilla assets. Your entire campaign just got a default facelift. @Turnro

Adsz.16.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.56.59.55_zpstpatzdr6.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.01.55.76_zpskhgpppyz.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.01.55.76_zpskhgpppyz.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.06.31.21_zpsgf3xbf8t.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.09.04.87_zpsbske3vjy.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.03%20-%2020.26.37.50_zpsdqowemf9.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.09.42.78_zpswq1cytzv.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.07.18.15_zps2vb2bm6h.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.03.55.96_zpssn5frasq.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.19.00.14_zpszigtnt6z.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.11.34.87_zpsqzgaoemj.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.03%20-%2020.26.51.87_zpsz8hgoz70.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.09.07.20_zpsgpifs4be.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.04.43.44_zps0haavvph.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.10.58.70_zpshrjgwjfu.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.05.22.52_zpsbip3lcjc.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.09.52.05_zpsuit8lbl0.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.05.57.05_zpsdvtu5ndh.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.14.27.49_zpskfjopx0n.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.03.18.07_zpsdo4qpabw.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.14.48.96_zpsqaza0ozx.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.03.26.07_zpsxo0quizl.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.16.58.28_zpsaqa3pii0.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.16.42.100_zps2hzsxtsd.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2020.02.24.17_zpsknfrcyjv.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.26.19.33_zpsz0vhusah.png

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.28.44.03_zpsxuwtxlzd.png

Last edited:
Level 11
Neato looking. Main criticism would be that everything seems to have been desaturated. The colors are much darker and muddier than the original.

Other than that, it's roughly what I'd expect the eventual remaster to look like.

Thanks to all of you guys , I'm the co-leader of the project , if any modelers are interested in helping us please contact me ( we are kinda left alone by our own team ( Armies of Azeroth ) so only me and Orapa is doing models right now, also you can let me know about bugs the things you dont like etc.

Level 21
I respect the amount of work you put into this.
Judging from pictures like the fifth, i think a WC3 remaster might actually work.

On the other hand, with increased model quality comes increased lag and even weird stretching issues, at least when several hundred units are on the screen.
That forces maps to limited army sizes, at least until Blizzard intends to update the engine.

edit: while at it, they might as well get rid of that 12 unit selection limit...

Last edited:
Level 14
Notice how all the Colored dragons are designed differently instead of recolor blobs

Oh and the team is needing Modelers and people to design Tilesets and doodads ASAP.

Get some credits in this game changing Warcraft Mod.

Level 14
It's the armies of Azeroth SC2 mod to facelift the game
The Warcraft 3 Version is called Warcraft Rebirth

What I have is much more polished thean the screenshots

heres a video

Obviously some doodads still need to be made and some things get scrapped and remade again.

Level 14
The standard Infernals look better. The "high quality" ones look like a StarCraft II Marauder skin... I am guessing that is their World of Warcraft design? In any case it just looks wrong for Warcraft III.

You're looking at the infernal from the side view. They look like this but felfire. The orange fire was an oversight thats fixed

Desktop%20Screenshot%202018.06.04%20-%2019.14.48.96_zpsqaza0ozx.png

8a04N8C.png

Frankly I think keeping them looking like a pile of blocks is what would look off if you've been looking at the gameplay shots I've done.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Those infernals look like strange golems... What makes the Warcraft III Infernal so iconic is its over the top flame effects. After all it is meant to have permanent immolation!

Look at the Warcraft III Infernal. Every joint is emitting a huge demonic flame the size of a body part. It literally looks like the stone it is made of is on fire. Its toes and claws are also the same bright flame colour giving the idea that they burn everything they touch. Certainly not something I would want to stand near as its very proximity would likely set me on fire!

The HD version looks so tame in comparison. Like a plain stone statue with a tiny bit of demonic energy empowering it. It is also appears to have hands rather than claws and its feet have no toes at all. The sort of thing one would want to put in a display case next to highly flammable objects rather than in a battle field to burn everything to pieces.

Be aware that Warcraft III terrain is not mipmapped, likely due to its use of a texture atlas. As such higher resolution terrain textures can suffer from aliasing artefacts once the texel density exceeds more than 1 texel per display pixel. This is generally why the 256x256 and 512x256 textures are sufficient. Higher resolution ones may start to show visible aliasing in the distance, especially with oblique shots. This is also why StarCraft II used an entirely different terrain system allowing terrain to be mipmapped and hence support higher resolution textures.

Level 14
Why were we asked to help if you're simply just using WoW models though? Seems like you'd need someone who can do skins so that you can make WoW fit WC3 more. There's a clear quality and style clash whenever they are used in a WC3 setting.
models are done were asking for help for doodads and tilesets at this point almost everything is done.
Infernals are Golems... If you want a more traditonal look default Golems provide the pile of rubble. You're judging it from an editor still and not in game on the fire effects. take a look at Stratholme to just how much more impressive fire has become in Rebirth.

Yes the new Models would clash with WC3. Except EVERYTHING is being redone you can't judge the models on a blank world editor map and think of the WC3 setting. everything is being overhauled.

Go watch Prologue 5 of mine on youtube and just watch Murlocs run fight and idle for example. Even animations are overhauled and it works perfectly.

If you want a direct Vanilla Warcraft with sharper default models thats more then likely going to be exactly what blizzard delivers with their blizzcon announcement this year if all the work on Wc3 this year is any indicaton. It's going to more then likely be exactly like the Starcraft Remaster. But any engine upgrades or memory upgrades the game uses is whats more looked forward to.

Last edited:
Why were we asked to help if you're simply just using WoW models though? Seems like you'd need someone who can do skins so that you can make WoW fit WC3 more. There's a clear quality and style clash whenever they are used in a WC3 setting.
We are not taking wow models and making a mod we are using assets from wow and hots to make fitting models , or use sculpts , we only have one sculptor he cant do everything also we are making a wc3 remake not wow in wc3 , I spend one hell of time on my models check my buildings , revenants of the mod and let me know if you can find them in wow , check hydras , boars , acolytes, necromancers, stromreaver orcs , liches and tell me they are from wow or just reskins , I take this as an insult

Level 22
Overall this is a huge improvement in quality, but it seems that the style is heavily suffering from the changes.

The infernal as pointed before.. I'll add onto it that the current model being inspired by the WoW model was probably not the best idea.. From what I know WoW players didn't like the change in comparison to the Wc3 one, and I wouldn't be surprised if Wc3 players are even less happy about it.
Also not liking the Tauren model all that much, seems like you focused a lot on the fur texture and not so much on the team coloring and how this model would be distincted between the teams - also keep in mind the latest update with 24(?) I think players support and all the new & similar colors..
Some of the buildings also seem to have no team coloring at all and look completely neutral (night elven altar as an example).
Peasant remake is my biggest disappointment so far, you removed all the goofy-ness of the character and made him look like a regular boring guy. It's been a thing since Wc2 that peasants and peons look silly and have a lot of character in the design.

These are just my thoughts, good work nonetheless.

Level 14
We are not taking wow models and making a mod we are using assets from wow and hots to make fitting models , or use sculpts , we only have one sculptor he cant do everything also we are making a wc3 remake not wow in wc3 , I spend one hell of time on my models check my buildings , revenants of the mod and let me know if you can find them in wow , check hydras , boars , acolytes, necromancers, stromreaver orcs , liches and tell me they are from wow or just reskins , I take this as an insult

Think too many people are just stareing at the Models and thinking only models.

Everything is being redone

Animations , spells, doodads, tilesets, buildings, units, treasure chests, E V E R Y T H I N G.

If people want exact 100% 2003 Warcraft then Play the Remaster when it comes out or ignore the MPQ. I feel the games entire FITTING transformation speaks for itself in the shots I've been taking.

@Dr

Yes but look at the Style of Archimonde and Kil'jaeden (wingless) or the Bulk of Doomguards or the Draenei for results in keeping with the traditional art style.

Honestly I think Rebirths Archimonde , Kil'jaeden, Dreadlords, Doom Lords makes WoWs Legion versions look terrible.

Think too many people are just stareing at the Models and thinking only models.

Everything is being redone

Animations , spells, doodads, tilesets, buildings, units, treasure chests, E V E R Y T H I N G.

If people want exact 100% 2003 Warcraft then Play the Remaster when it comes out or ignore the MPQ. I feel the games entire FITTING transformation speaks for itself in the shots I've been taking.
My only goal is to make wc3 remaster everything like they were in 2003 but with 'new' wow style 'HD' style thats all , I'll never ignore any wc3 design and replace it with a wow one thats what other mods do but we only cared for wc3 style nothing more even if it is so much cool ( though nothing is cooler than wc3 so... )

Level 14
My only goal is to make wc3 remaster everything like they were in 2003 but with 'new' wow style 'HD' style thats all , I'll never ignore any wc3 design and replace it with a wow one thats what other mods do but we only cared for wc3 style nothing more even if it is so much cool ( though nothing is cooler than wc3 so... )
This mod is essentially the Mass Recall SC1 remake For SC2

Except it's on the Exact same game and shows just how powerful the WC3 engine and editor is

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
First off, I hope they don't make a Warcraft III remaster like they did with Brood War getting many art assets to match StarCraft II's instead of increasing the quality of the original ones.
Secondly, this mod is more like the StarCraft remaster but with even models looking more like a newer version of the game than the original ones being in HD. Yeah, it's kind of like Mass Recall.

While I appreciate the work, I'd rather have an HD mod and if possible with models having more polygons.

Also, here Illidan is not blindfolded anymore even if in the icon it's still the same.

Level 14
This mod IS armies of Azeroth it's the same team @deepstrasz
just a small 5 person group from AoA decided to bring it where it should of been in the first place

what... illidan is blindfolded. It's his Fel Eyes from Sargeras when he first became a demon hunter before getting a nice prison. But as you can see Rebirth team didn't think OH lets make all his Tattoos Green as hell too. something from the old interpretation that was far superior

Last edited:
First off, I hope they don't make a Warcraft III remaster like they did with Brood War getting many art assets to match StarCraft II's instead of increasing the quality of the original ones.
Secondly, this mod is more like the StarCraft remaster but with even models looking more like a newer version of the game than the original ones being in HD. Yeah, it's kind of like Mass Recall.

While I appreciate the work, I'd rather have an HD mod and if possible with models having more polygons.

Also, here Illidan is not blindfolded anymore even if in the icon it's still the same.

I agree with illidan issue I will make a better model for him , actually I made one but I'm too lazy to make it's portrait ( cause internet is full of illidan's I mostly like doing stuff that is not that popular :p )

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
what... illidan is blindfolded. It's his Fel Eyes from Sargeras when he first became a demon hunter before getting a nice prison
That's WoW. I'm talking about The Frozen Throne. Watch the intro and the cinematic scene just before the ending. There is no scene (even ingame) where Illidan shows his eyes, not to mention green.
I agree with illidan issue I will make a better model for him , actually I made one but I'm too lazy to make it's portrait ( cause internet is full of illidan's I mostly like doing stuff that is not that popular :p )
It's not whether it's popular or not. It's whether it's good or if it matters or not.
I agree though, many games I have not played because of them being so popular, of the newer ones I mean. I'm sure this is double edged. Some of those games are really good while others are just for the crowds.

Level 14
That's WoW. I'm talking about The Frozen Throne. Watch the intro and the cinematic scene just before the ending. There is no scene (even ingame) where Illidan shows his eyes, not to mention green.

Very true maybe yourarthas can show us the "newer" illidan? Maybe I'll bug him to do the portrait
Night Elf Campaign is a week away from being recorded.

Level 14
I much prefer your model with the blackened tattoos
Try to add his blindfold art for detail from TFT. I would do away completely with the Gliaves Panda art. Unless you want to redo his Non demon model too.

You can tell they put a tone of effort into his TFT model. Compared to RoC I think hes the only unique model in TFT since Blood prince, Crypt lord, Witch Doctor, Banshee Ranger, Beastmaster, Warden are all shared.

They worked hard on Arthas too as seen in the finale battle but just kept him on his RoC model for campaign.

latest

Illidan_WC3X.jpg

Last edited:
Level 26
models are done were asking for help for doodads and tilesets at this point almost everything is done.
Infernals are Golems... If you want a more traditonal look default Golems provide the pile of rubble. You're judging it from an editor still and not in game on the fire effects. take a look at Stratholme to just how much more impressive fire has become in Rebirth.

Yes the new Models would clash with WC3. Except EVERYTHING is being redone you can't judge the models on a blank world editor map and think of the WC3 setting. everything is being overhauled.

Go watch Prologue 5 of mine on youtube and just watch Murlocs run fight and idle for example. Even animations are overhauled and it works perfectly.

If you want a direct Vanilla Warcraft with sharper default models thats more then likely going to be exactly what blizzard delivers with their blizzcon announcement this year if all the work on Wc3 this year is any indicaton. It's going to more then likely be exactly like the Starcraft Remaster. But any engine upgrades or memory upgrades the game uses is whats more looked forward to.

Well, my point was this. For the update of graphics, you would need an equal update to the terraining by a significant amount. The changes to the terrain have been minimal, while the quality of the models has increased immensely. Because of this, it creates a sensation of a quality clash that is hard to get over. That's generally why people tend to reskin high quality models so that they fit the style of the terrain more. In regards to doodads, I don't know what type of doodads you need. The only thing I can say is that I remember fladdermasken made a couple of wonderful tree models that would be far superior to what you have in those screenshots, which would match the level of the models more. Now, in regards to the Uther and Jaina upgrade, look around them, the clash is obvious. Also, there appears to be a little of a scaling issue. Uther looks like a giant. I'd scale him down by about 10-20%.

Now, you said something about a murloc scene in Prologue 5. Could you link me? Also, I watched that youtube video. There is a couple things that I think need focus. If you would need models for anything, new portrait models would be a good investment as it would be the greatest cause of the sensation of quality clash after terrain. But if you can get those and an experienced terrainer helps you to bump up the quality level of the terrain, you should be fine. The tree models also clash, with both units and the terrain. So I would have to request a list of things that need work, expectations, etc.

As for infernals. I find that despite having flame effects, without a texturing to make them closer to the WC3 infernals, it will just look off. Now, these are simply my own personal opinions and you are free to take them as you will. You guys are free to feel insuled, granted I did not intend it as such. My point was merely that a long list of people was asked to help, but now how. The request was "Help us make models". I don't make textures, meaning I could not match WoW models.

Last edited:
Level 14
Minimal? Have you even seen northrend or stratholme tilesets

By all means join the team one guy all alone is doing tilesets.

Just watch how murlocs move in general or idle.

If your cant see the differences god help you.

Im still not seeing the clash if anything heroes blend more then the environment then ever. Maybe play it before you judge it on still shots or the videos you couldnt of watched

Three people are doing this alone making EVERYTHING. Uther is the same size as everyone instead of wide stretched out unit.

This is a 2018 remake not a remaster. The exact same stuff with higher resolution will come from blizzard. Play that with the exact same look it had in 2002 just like SCR

Last edited:
Level 22
I don't think anyone here is diminishing the accomplishments you guys made with this work, we're just giving our feedback and critique.. Opinions differ and so does taste, so some things discussed should be taken as such and you shouldn't be upset over someones opinion.

For instance I like the trees, and I kinda like the texturing of the ground for most part, in some areas it seems a little dull though. I also can't pin point exactly what my issue is but there's something I don't like about the shadows. I also pointed out before that the overall style is not exactly matching the original Warcraft 3, so it's not coming off as exact remake since the style is being sacrificed in some cases for the increase in quality. This is something I'd disagree with Minimage on, exact reason why I like the current trees is that they fit and look like they are Warcraft 3 remade trees not remastered. And in regard to this I pointed out my biggest issue being the lack of character in the new peasant model, peon kinda also - original Warcraft 3 and also Warcraft 2 emphasized on the character design of these units, while your new model in this case isn't a remake but completely redone in your own style (which reminds me more of Age of Empires).

The overall issue I have with the visual appeal of the models and textures and everything is the color palette, currently it's a lot more plain than Warcraft 3 was. This makes it kinda hard to focus on units since they tend to blend in with the background. There's also some buildings with major lack of texture quality (fountain of health, arcane sanctuary, gryphon aviary.. as some examples)

Compare your scenario screenshot where Tyrande meets Archimonde with the original one, the original one has actually better setting, more visual attention is brought onto the characters (especially the important ones stand out), there is visual depth effect on the trees - foreground trees being normal color while the distant ones are fogged.. On your screenshot there's barely any difference in color of the foreground trees and the distant trees.

I understand you are working with a small team of 3 people, but small teams should be good for keeping quality consistency.. Which is kind of not present here. (comparing model of Uther with Fountain of Health big big difference)

I wish you all the best with this project and give you this feedback with good intention, so please take it as so. I do admire your skills as modelers and texturers and I admire the work you've done so far - it is impressive.

Level 14
it's plainer simply because u dont have bright flashy team colors displaying. This is for the most part I would for me personal use. Here are some comparison shots I just took out of Tomoraiders new CotF ICC.
Perhaps there is something with shadows because it does look darker in the new version but to say units don't blend with enviroment like some people is odd.

I Would say the new dragons alone are worth the tradeoff on infernals

Keep in mind Blight hasn't even been reworked yet.

Frost%20old_zpspfcdnoiq.png

frost%20new_zpsswv6jtvx.png

Front%20gate%20old_zpsxo8urhex.png
Front%20new_zpsxgpogaz9.png

banshe%20old_zps038j6bk7.png

banshe%20new_zpsub4v3usv.png

Level 22
it's plainer simply because u dont have bright flashy team colors displaying. This is for the most part I would for me personal use. Here are some comparison shots I just took out of Tomoraiders new CotF ICC.
Perhaps there is something with shadows because it does look darker in the new version but to say units don't blend with enviroment like some people is odd.

I'm saying they do blend in with environment. Here's an example from your screenshots:
KU2WY7L.gif

The issue with units blending isn't exactly present here since the tileset is so much brighter than the units, however the units look almost like it is nighttime outside. Compare the new Kodo with the old one, it has no highlights.. On a darker terrain they will blend in a lot.

The new Frostwyrms again are better in quality of polygons and such, but they don't have the white highlights the original had that made them stand out as units, on your recent screenshots the frost wyrms blend a lot with the background and are much harder to distinguish than the original ones.

It's not just about teamcolors, there's overall lack of highlights.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Could it be the textures were made expecting a decent lighting model?

Warcraft III uses an absolutely broken lighting model where by sRGB textures are treated as linear RGB by the graphics engine and linear RGB results are shown in sRGB space. Since this lighting model looks bad as it is wrong, Blizzard boosted lights to try and compensate. Hence Warcraft III has absolutely terrible dynamic lighting, even for a game without a HDR shader.

Hello people , i am tileset maker for Warcraft 3 Rebirth/WAA for wc3 engine . I will talk shortly about models , since discussion has been made here , but my interest is tiles,trees,rocks and doodads .

About models and why are they dark , its cause many models have normals caused by mdlvs modeling , or wrongly ripped , also wc3 process models way worse than some modern engines . When i saw high polly model conversion isnt fully possible on engine and causes crashes i was kinda dissapointed...

About crashes testing its weird - Mpq replacement cause crashes for some custom maps that uses original wc3 models . But on other hand almost fully wow maps that are large can be played . Is it some kind of sync between maps and mpq ? I dont know...Also theres 2 gb ram problem ...

About simply porting wow or hots inside mod - that is total lie(its just some critters and 2 creep models) and its kind of insult to modelers that worked very hard .Also dont forget that mod has been made by fans

Level 14

Warcraft III uses an absolutely broken lighting model where by sRGB textures are treated as linear RGB by the graphics engine and linear RGB results are shown in sRGB space. Since this lighting model looks bad as it is wrong, Blizzard boosted lights to try and compensate. Hence Warcraft III has absolutely terrible dynamic lighting, even for a game without a HDR shader.
Probably considering these were mostly initinally made for Sc2

It is actually about this lightning issues , shadows are so bad in wc3 and we cant directly fix it , textures are actually all nice for a wow like or a sc2 like engine BUT we have to reduce their quality to save ram otherwise game wont be able to read them

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
A lot of excellent work has gone into making this remaster, and it shows. Impressive. While I personally am just not a huge fan of "Wc3 with better graphics" (for a number of reasons), I know many are, and this'll be right up their alley.

That being said, I think you should excuse some of us our confusion (about whether any were WoW models in the mix, or why you've only updated the models & not the doodads/terrain/etc)... Your initial post was heavy on screenshots (all the cool new unit models) & light on actual detail:
upload_2018-6-11_11-54-49.png

There's... Nearly no real information here. Give us some background, some context, link to the original stuff, post the names of the other guys working on this, explain What Has Been Done, What Is Being Done, and What Is Next. (much of the stuff you have posted since being questioned, but never went back to fix the first post)

Having read that in the very first post would have, I believe, helped you avoid a lot of the contention & confusion. That is, after all, what the First Post is for. : )

~~~

Good luck!

Level 14
A lot of excellent work has gone into making this remaster, and it shows. Impressive. While I personally am just not a huge fan of "Wc3 with better graphics" (for a number of reasons), I know many are, and this'll be right up their alley.

That being said, I think you should excuse some of us our confusion (about whether any were WoW models in the mix, or why you've only updated the models & not the doodads/terrain/etc)... Your initial post was heavy on screenshots (all the cool new unit models) & light on actual detail:
View attachment 299838

There's... Nearly no real information here. Give us some background, some context, link to the original stuff, post the names of the other guys working on this, explain What Has Been Done, What Is Being Done, and What Is Next. (much of the stuff you have posted since being questioned, but never went back to fix the first post)

Having read that in the very first post would have, I believe, helped you avoid a lot of the contention & confusion. That is, after all, what the First Post is for. : )

~~~

Good luck!

Almost all the tilesets and doodads have already gone through a major overhaul. thats pretty much whats left to finish.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Probably considering these were mostly initinally made for Sc2
Oh the reason they look flat and without highlights would be due to no normal map. In Warcraft III surface textures were baked into the diffuse texture as that was the only texture available. However in StarCraft II surface textures are separated between diffuse and normal to allow more detailed lighting simulation. Without baking the normal onto the diffuse for Warcraft III the textures will look very flat and without shading at all.
have to reduce their quality to save ram otherwise game wont be able to read them
Please elaborate? As far as I can tell Warcraft III has no problem using large textures.
Wc3 remastered would hopefullly fix 2gb Ram limit issue or 1.30
Unlikely.

Also 1 GB of memory is sufficient for 256 different 1024x1024 textures. Larger textures than that are not necessary and will visually make little difference in standard viewing conditions.

Until recently both Heroes of the Storm and StarCraft II had no problem running in 32bit mode with a 2GB memory limit. It was only after the third expansion with StarCraft II and around 2.0 with Heroes of the Storm that x86-64 builds became mandatory. Even still that was most likely because Blizzard stopped caring about the 2GB memory limit of x86 to focus on performance in x86-64 builds.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So you're simply wrong.
No I am not...

It is likely Warcraft III uses 4 byte BGRA. This means 1 pixel is 4 bytes.

A 1024x1024 image thus takes up...
1024 * 1024 * 4 = 4,194,304 bytes = 4 megabytes (assuming magnitudes are 1024 as opposed to 1000)

1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes

1024 / 4 = 256 images.

Now what I did not calculate in is the mipmaps which take an extra 1 in 3. However I already did since I specified the limit as 1 gigabyte leaving 1 gigabyte for game state, models and mipmaps. 1 gigabyte of mipmapped textures is ~333MB. This leaves around 650MB for game state, far more than Warcraft III recommended at release.

It is worth mentioning that StarCraft II and Heroes of the Storm use compressed textures. These usually have a compression ratio around 1 in 4. Hence they get 1024 different 1024x1024 textures per gigabyte of memory, again with the 1 in 3 extra needed for mipmaps.

Or if you really want to be pedantic, Warcraft III gets ~192 different 1024x1024 textures per gigabyte of memory including mipmaps.
Well wc3 can read them but for example lets say each model uses 2 mb full resolution texutre, and now lets say we got 800 textures , 2 x 800 = 1.600 mb ram usage , plus high polies and some common game data and the result is simple nearly no map can be played
Warcraft III only loads that it needs. It has always had this problem with some custom maps since Warcraft III had to run on just 64MB of graphic memory on systems with only 512MB of ram installed. On such systems many custom maps that decide to load absolutely every asset used to crash with out of memory errors, or perform impossibly slowly due to page faults.

If you really want a solution, campaign for real time compression support to be added rather than the entire game be made x86-64. This is how StarCraft II worked around a 2GB memory limit for so long as compressed textures are 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 the size.

No I am not...

It is likely Warcraft III uses 4 byte BGRA. This means 1 pixel is 4 bytes.

A 1024x1024 image thus takes up...
1024 * 1024 * 4 = 4,194,304 bytes = 4 megabytes (assuming magnitudes are 1024 as opposed to 1000)

1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes

1024 / 4 = 256 images.

Now what I did not calculate in is the mipmaps which take an extra 1 in 3. However I already did since I specified the limit as 1 gigabyte leaving 1 gigabyte for game state, models and mipmaps. 1 gigabyte of mipmapped textures is ~333MB. This leaves around 650MB for game state, far more than Warcraft III recommended at release.

It is worth mentioning that StarCraft II and Heroes of the Storm use compressed textures. These usually have a compression ratio around 1 in 4. Hence they get 1024 different 1024x1024 textures per gigabyte of memory, again with the 1 in 3 extra needed for mipmaps.

Or if you really want to be pedantic, Warcraft III gets ~192 different 1024x1024 textures per gigabyte of memory including mipmaps.
Warcraft III only loads that it needs. It has always had this problem with some custom maps since Warcraft III had to run on just 64MB of graphic memory on systems with only 512MB of ram installed. On such systems many custom maps that decide to load absolutely every asset used to crash with out of memory errors, or perform impossibly slowly due to page faults.

If you really want a solution, campaign for real time compression support to be added rather than the entire game be made x86-64. This is how StarCraft II worked around a 2GB memory limit for so long as compressed textures are 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 the size.
Yes , I know this is the meaningful explanation of stuff , though alot of people plays wc3 for custom maps , I'lld have no problem I'm a melee guy but Azeroth Wars for example uses >1 gb itself in vanilla wc3 and cant be loaded with the mod , that was really disappointing to me cause I really love this map

Status
Not open for further replies.