• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Transferring variables and some more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I've played the Bonus Campaign of TFT and amazed on the multi-map system. (Thrall carried his items, experience etc. to another map and BACK!) My question is: what's the limitations for transperring information between maps? For example, I store some numbers in some variables, like another type of unit attribute like Charisma or Luck or whatever... can the unit carry these variables to another map and back?

Another questions: Can these "multi-maps"(sorry, don't know a better word) be played in multiplayer?

What's the best method to let the game remember a lot of numbers for a long time? For example the above mentioned unit attributes.

(I need this info because I plan a new unit attribute system heh..)

Level 5
I've played the Bonus Campaign of TFT and amazed on the multi-map system. (Thrall carried his items, experience etc. to another map and BACK!) My question is: what's the limitations for transperring information between maps? For example, I store some numbers in some variables, like another type of unit attribute like Charisma or Luck or whatever... can the unit carry these variables to another map and back?

Another questions: Can these "multi-maps"(sorry, don't know a better word) be played in multiplayer?

What's the best method to let the game remember a lot of numbers for a long time? For example the above mentioned unit attributes.

(I need this info because I plan a new unit attribute system heh..)

The system you see in the Orc Bonus Campaign uses a feature called the Game Cache, if I recall. The Game Cache stores various things including variables or even whole units (items included, I think) which you can reload when you like. I would suggest investigating this by yourself to find out its capabilities and limitations, or reading a tutorial. However, this isn't available in Multiplayer (else we would have been saving heroes in this manner for ORPGs a long time ago).

The multi-map system uses a number of trigger commands, possibly under the Game section. I don't believe these are available in multiplayer, either.

Level 32
Some existing tutorials on game caches include:
This tutorial will tell you how to move units and other things from map to map. Remember that Game Caches can not be used on Battle Net, and are almost only ever used for campaigns.
This tutorial describes a specialized use of the 'Save Game and Load Game' and 'Save Game and Change Level' triggers that were originally demonstrated by Blizzard in the Orc Expansion Campaign that came with the Frozen Throne WCIII expansion, and later were released for public mapping in WCIII Patch 1.13. This tutorial assumes that you already have experience and a good understanding of the WCIII World Editor, and have some experience with advanced triggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.