• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Proving Grounds: Fast Paced and Action Packed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
The Proving Grounds
Competitive Arena

Reinventing the core gameplay of arenas to bring a new level of competitive PvP based on twitch and reaction based skill. The arena is round based and the end of a round is designated by the death of all enemy heroes. Winner of 5 rounds wins the match.

Gameplay Preface

We have done away with arenas of old that require a player to grind creeps before waiting for "duels" for any real action. Our gameplay is completely devoid of downtime and is a complete action packed arena. To ensure a high level of action and competitiveness we follow these simple rules:

• All abilities are twitch based: In that they MUST be aimed and CAN be dodged
  • No cooldown is longer than 15 seconds
  • There are no manacosts, only temporal limitations
  • There are no items
  • There is no leveling
  • All heroes divide into simple classes: Tank, support, DPS
  • All abilities can be classified as "skill shots"
  • All hero abilities are enabled from level 1
  • Team based objectives and strategy in a small arena
  • Fast paced combat and rounds
  • All heroes have at least 1 projectile ability
  • All heroes have at least 1 escape/quick move ability
  • If a hero is pushed into or knocked back into deep water -> they die
  • Every hero has 5 abilities -> simple to learn, difficult to master
  • Deeply engaging announcer helps intensify flow of the game
The Why?
>>>Shorter cooldowns allow for a more "active" feel of a hero. You spend more time casting and dodging then you do waiting for cooldowns or mana

>>>Each hero is distinct and plays a role in the team. This comes as an "upgraded" feel to the Warlocks gameplay as every player is more unique instead of a spam-fest DPS character.

>>>With no items or leveling, there is no need to grind and spend ludicrous amounts of time killing AI controlled opponents and more time ganking and gibbing

>>>With no items or leveling, all heroes are always on an even playing ground - The Proving Grounds

>>>All hero abilities being enabled means your hero is the epitome of their nature and plays the way it is intended from level 1 (Compared to waiting till leveling your ultimate to be viable)

>>>3vs3 is the sweet spot for quick, action packed yet strategic team based combat

Heroes
Below follows a tiny sample of completed and implemented heroes for a better gauge of how the gameplay feels:

The Ancient
Support

• Gift of the Forest: Fires a projectile which on impact with an ALLY will make the target invisible for TWO seconds and heal for 100 HP [9s cooldown]
  • Nature's Wrath: After a TWO second delay, entangling roots pop at target area holding enemies for 2.5 seconds [6s cooldown]
  • Nature's Roots: The Ancients descends back into a Wisp and is able to freely move and is invulnerable for 3 seconds [10s cooldown]
  • Ancient Judgment: A projectile which will collide with its first target, healing allies or damaging enemies [5s cooldown]
Infernal
Tank

• Doom: The Infernal drives its fists forward damaging any enemies in the area [2.5s CD]
  • Inferno: The infernal recomposes itself, lifting back to the sky and comes crashing down soon after damaging and stunning enemies in target area [7s CD]
  • Chaos: Fires a projectile that damages enemies and on impact will also heal the Infernal for a small amount
  • Unbreakable Shield: The Infernal becomes invulnerable for 1 second (Great for deflecting missiles that are about to hit you) [6s CD]
The Arena
Obstacles will block projectiles
Smaller arena for faster paced combat
Being pushed into the outer deeper waters will instantly kill your hero
attachment.php

Where Are We?
  • Terrain: 100% Complete
  • Heroes+Ability: Enough complete for viable play
  • Balancing: Up in the air
Currently Working On: Hero Selection System
Next: Ranking system, Achievements, and Continued Beta Testing
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Looking for feedback, criticism and support :grin:

Also looking for Beta Testers

Attachments

• ARENA.JPG
    ARENA.JPG
    415.2 KB · Views: 316
Level 15
Any particular reason people are not interested in this project?
Its an awfully interesting project, but we want some screenshots of what you have done (other than terrain).

Warlocks and its genre of maps always had a wonderful concept- those with skill wins. Those without loses. I really love playing such maps, and I look forward to this button mashing game :)

BTW, do all the heroes share the same hotkeys? That may be better for such games, since having to remember the hotkeys may take some time.

Level 2
Yeah for sure, the hotkeys are actually

Q W E R F

Where I tried to keep a common theme between all of them.

F is usually the main projectile
E is usually the escape/utility spell

and Q is usually a secondary projectile or melee attack depending on the hero.

I suppose I'll update with a few screenshots showcasing some more heroes.

We did a beta test last night, few bugs here and there but most of the players found it really fun.

Some expressed the need for more heroes (we are at 6 right now)
And others expressed the need for another game type.

Any ideas on other game types? Maybe a CTF or King of the Hill variant?

Level 4
Need any modelers, skinners, icon makers, etc? I couldn't help you on the first one (except very simple things). Just wondering what you need at this point.

Well you could do a theme were the point is to hold a "node" to gain points under a time limit. Like there's 2 - 4 scattered across the map, and when a player can hold it uncontested for like 10 seconds, it turns to that teams color. As long as it's that teams color, that team gets points every second. The object would be to get the most points in the end by holding the nodes the longest. You could also make a point goal instead of a time limit.

Level 2
@Fluff: I would love an icon-maker on the team. Most of the time the Blizzard icons + THW icons just do not cut it. As a result theres a bit of overlap now.

@Wherewolf: Yeah I was actually thinking something similar.

I've done a mega ton of beta tests last night, and even developed a small following game to game. Seems like a lot of people do appreciate the map and I will put up screenshots after tonight's test again.

Definitely seriously considering the idea of having multiple arenas in one map, and you rotate randomly between them for every round. Each arena would have its own game mode situated with it.

Anyone have any cool ideas for arenas and any associated enviornmental hazards?
In addition to game mode or hero ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.