• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The New Hive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hello guys
As many of you know I am working on a complete rewrite of The Hive Workshop.

At first I thought of a forum structure similar to the current one, with more separated game sections and resource sections for each game. This would be a good way of continuing the current hive... But now I am thinking otherwise. I wanna deal with the site from a whole new approach.

Facebook is popular because it is extremely social and you can express your feelings in so many ways. I am thinking about taking some of the concepts from Facebook and implementing them on THW.
People should be able to become fans of projects, maps and various other submissions.
Instead of showing peoples reputation count, we will be displaying their amount of friends instead.
We will have the option to "Like" certain events, resources, maps and users.
The chat will be embedded on every single page so you always can get in touch with all other online users.

You could call it HiveBook but I think our current name will suffice.

I am already working on it and I like what I see...

UPDATE: After the 1st of april I don't think this is a good idea anymore ;)

Last edited:
Ralle, I love this idea. I've always liked the social aspect of Facebook and the community of the Hive. And what better idea than to put them together.
I don't like Facebook that much for a few reasons. I don't go on the internet to socialize with people I know in real life. I go on to socialize with people I've never met, complete strangers. I know many of us have added Hive users to our Facebooks in a feeble attempt to capture the essence of the Hive's amazing community, but end up disenchanted and disappointed when they find out that all of their friends on the Hive are creepy. But with this new Hive feature, we can socialize with out good friends on the Hive without having to look at their unsettling faces.
Thanks Ralle, you're a genius.

Well its a good idea but there are some things that are kinda... mmmf...

Chat embedded in evey page? some people don't like the chat... and for a reason... i think we should let people include themselves in aspects of the hive IF THEY WANT... having a chat page is a good idea.

Friends instead of reputation i also think is kindof silly. reputation tells the same kindof thing about you that friends do. frieds are what they sound like... friends... people will be like OMG he soooooo popular hes got 200+ friends! some people are good users but are not popular or hate to be so... please... maybe add friends... but don't make it the only thing to show... either keep rep or don't have anything.... antoehr suggestion is to parce rep into two. popularity and submissions ect. but i'm not one to get into a repfight.

I like... liking (lol), becoming a fan, and subscibing. also make it so people can make easily operated private user-groups. and making chat more acsessible... but DON'T force chat upon us. please... becuase us with our 20 kbs connections wont be able to stand it!

Otherwise i think its a GREAT idea! :D :D Go Ralle! XD

Level 6
Of course it's not a joke. You can even trial it right now...

thehivebook.png

Full size image: http://www.mapcrafters.net/thehivebook.png

Last edited:
Level 14
I don't know about yall, but I think its a terrible idea. Not to try to influence your decision with a dumb childish (NOO if you do it I won't joinn annyymooorreee!!), but if it does happen I won't be coming back.

Level 12
I don't like the idea much either.
I disagree with everything listed (as in i don't like any of em) - except the 'like' - button.

Level 16
I like some parts..

Shamanyouranus has some nice arguments, The World Is Flat also has some nice..
I personally think that it has some nice features.. This way it will become even more of a community..

The rep-replacement could use some fresh Ideas, like the resources.. but then there would be people fucking up and uploading shitloads of resources..
So you would only count the approved resources.. But yeah, then they can still fuck around and upload resources that are only just approvable.. So I would give it some average "grade"..

Well just some brainstorming I did..
Good job and good luck! Im looking forward to seeing some nice The FaceWorkshop previews :D

Level 7
Here are some Ideas I would like to see on THW:

-For the chat...You could only chat with your friends, not the 1200 ones that are online right now, for that, make a chatroom... Oh, wait... We already have one.
And, for God's sake, make a Offline button... 'cuz I would be using it, I think, the most...

-Make it have the number of Friends AND show the reputation. REP is more important to me :D

-FANS? That's a good idea!

-Don't make it look to much Facebook-ish... I like THW a lot more than FB...

-Add more things to THW... I like the Facebook applications... Maybe have some THW applications like: Quizes, Music, GAMES (Yes, GAMES).

-Last but not Least... I don't know what more to say... Have something like notes on fb...

Those are my opinions :thumbs_up:

Last edited by a moderator:
i would hate the rep count being like that
a lot of people would sign on and have fifty friend requests coming in
maybe you can just retain the normal rep and rename it to something and add friends or whatever, i still think that rep should be in the form of mini awards so that it'd be really authentic showing that you are actually not just.. popular

Status
Not open for further replies.