• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The King Varian Wrynn With 1300 Faces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
King Varian Wrynn【UPDATE】

:ogre_rage: U know , I'm always waiting for a guy which can make a varian's model , but there is no one until now ... :( ...so it's make me , the very lazy guy , have to make one , the king varian , current has 1306 faces , finished in few hours with 3D MAX ...
my english is poor so i'm lazy wirting english words in this thread . but it doesn't mean to i can't modeling like the famous guy in hive ~
i'll draw the textures by myself if i have free time in recent days...

i just do the model which i want to do , so i don't take any request ...

the king will coming soon ... wish u like him ~

【UPDATE】
Two hours work ...Remade the same scale as Proudmoore in WC3 ...now it looks like a human , not a dwarf ... make a new varian's weapon , not my formly one ... I remained the old version's snapshot to compare with the new one ...:ogre_haosis:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,653
  • 001finally.jpg
    001finally.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 3,405
Last edited:

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
You could easily shave off a number of polygons by making the arms and legs four-sided rather than six-sided. Ditto the cape and the back of the head, polygons should only be used to describe the bare minimum amount of detail and leave the rest to the texture. Also, the neck looks kinda short, even for King Gorilla Varian.

Otherwise, looks good. The pauldrons are sweet, indeed :)

Level 5
You could easily shave off a number of polygons by making the arms and legs four-sided rather than six-sided. Ditto the cape and the back of the head, polygons should only be used to describe the bare minimum amount of detail and leave the rest to the texture. Also, the neck looks kinda short, even for King Gorilla Varian.

Otherwise, looks good. The pauldrons are sweet, indeed :)

4 instead of 6?! that would make it look ugly, and just to save 1 or 2 KB in the model file.
LOL I hate the people who think low polies are better than beauty.

Level 51
4 instead of 6?! that would make it look ugly, and just to save 1 or 2 KB in the model file.

Well, you're right, and false. For simple models like a footman it would be shure a good idea to make the hands like suggested above, as it would be used very often in a map normaly. As for the Varian model, it is no problem, as you said, when it has more faces, as it is going to be used proabably 1-3 times in a map.

Level 49

Mhm, and now, give me one example of a WC3 hero who has 6-sided cylinders for arms and legs instead of 4-sided ones.

...It simply looks better as it fits better in-game.

Level 5
Mhm, and now, give me one example of a WC3 hero who has 6-sided cylinders for arms and legs instead of 4-sided ones.

...It simply looks better as it fits better in-game.

its not the polycount that makes it look like it fits the game better, its the shape of the unit, the proportion of the chest, head, legs , etc...

A well shaped unit with a considerable polycount looks really good -_-

And the heroes have only 4 sides because detail was something wc3 couldnt have, it was launched in 2002, by that time not every computer could handle the game, just like sc2 when it was launched

Level 18
i would recommend arthas w/ sword animations if you arnt making your own

i'll use proudmoore's animation ... so i made the same scale between two kind of models...
the arthas with sword animation will lower his head to look the book when he cast spell animation ...
i wont make new animation this time cause i'm lazy and i'm not good at making the cape's animation ...

Level 21
Hey paladinjst, the texture looks like a really promising start! The polycount isn't much of a big deal, but you'd be surprised as to how much detail and performance you can have in a lower poly mesh. It's an art of its own.

As for you, HeroSlayer, please refrain from inserting your "knowledge" about modeling when your only submitted model is a WoW rip. Also, it is ill-advised to uphold a disrespectful tone to those who are much more experienced than you.

Level 18
Hey paladinjst, the texture looks like a really promising start! The polycount isn't much of a big deal, but you'd be surprised as to how much detail and performance you can have in a lower poly mesh. It's an art of its own.

As for you, HeroSlayer, please refrain from inserting your "knowledge" about modeling when your only submitted model is a WoW rip. Also, it is ill-advised to uphold a disrespectful tone to those who are much more experienced than you.

thanx ... i'll try my best to do this work ... i made the UV in only one texture so that to limit the file size . i'll draw the very counts of the details to fit the WC3 style ...

Level 6
Fewer means less, right? Custom means that you made it yourself, right? So if you don't make your own textures, but change the ones someone else made - that's just not right! :))

Level 18
thanks u guys and i'll fix it what u had said ...i made him the same sale with proudmoore ... and like derolin said , maybe the neck and shoulder got somthing wrong

{EDIT}
and actually i had made the neck ... but the cape covered it ... maybe i should move the cape's vertex

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
No; You should move the head up, a lot.

the shoulderpads should be moved down since he was using the admiral's model as a base.

longer neck might elongate the texture.

problem is, Varian had gigantic shoulderpads in WoW so I don't know how you're supposed to keep his proportions looking WoW and WC3 at the same time. especially with those 1300 faces

Status
Not open for further replies.