• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Hive staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Now ... what was this thread about again?

Well, just taking a gander at the thread title.. The Hive Staff. More specifically what we, as users, can do to help and what they, as staff, can change, to make the hive a better place and run more efficiently.

It seems as though everyone has gotten more than a little off-topic.

Level 11
If you ask me there is a diference betvean a newbie and a noob.
Newbies are people who are new at something and they admit it. They ask for help and admit they need it. And they should be helped. Remember, all respected users and awsome people on hive and all over the internet were once a newbie. So dont use it as an insult. You were once a newbie.
Noobs are people who are new at something, but say they are "pro" at it when thay actualy are realy bad at it. They dont ask for help. They think they are the best. It should be used to point out theyr behavior and make them relaize it. If it doen't help leave the user be. It shouldent be used as an insult. Especialy not to insult people that are worser then you. Nobody likes to be kcalled a noob, so dont call anyone cuz table can turn easaly and you can be a noob in a blink of an eye.

Sorry for all the grammer and spelling ^^

But lets return to original tread deiscusion.

Level 14
It also seems more that everyone don't want to move a leg to help the Hive's problems, as users.

To me it seems like both the staff and the users aren't doing their part.

Users can't do much for the Hive except for submitting suggestions.

We can set the attitude on the forums and the resource sections. Yes suggestions are good, but we, ultimately, set the mood for the site.

If the general user base is optimistic and helps the staff instead of fighting them at every turn, the staff can get more things done. Or we give the staff constructive criticism instead of saying things, like "The News Batch," are fucking retarded and go on to insult the staff.

That is, I believe, our charge as the users of the site: To set the tone for how interact with each other. The staff can only do so much.

Level 30
Well, just taking a gander at the thread title.. The Hive Staff. More specifically what we, as users, can do to help and what they, as staff, can change, to make the hive a better place and run more efficiently.

It seems as though everyone has gotten more than a little off-topic.
I think it's quite obvious i was kidding ... If the staff needs help, they just have to tell us ... I can help ... but ralle has to unban me from the chat first >.>

Level 14
I was joking too :p sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet. And I have a dry humor which makes it harder. Sorry :)

Level 12
What I said in the "Opening..." section was: "(...) but nobody took the initiative of actually posting the news (...)". Let me translate: people who created a drama about my previous "November News" thread did next to nothing until Christmas week, and I took the initiative of posting it.

The news batch was terribly written? Thank god, we have people like you who like to give constructive feedback...
Moving on. You're the only one I can remember who ever said I degraded the staff. Oh wait, brad said something similar too. Shall I point to his post? I especially liked the part where he answered your lovely phrase, quoted above.
Fortunately for us, not everyone looses their sense of humor when they are stripped of one point of reputation (that insignificant number under your post count)...
Do you really think I'm the only one who thought your post was degrading to the staff? That I was the only one that thought it reflected poorly upon yourself? Don't be so narrow minded. I am probably the only one who actually SAID anything about it. I read Brad's response and we had a nice chat about the whole ordeal. It's funny how many people will agree with me privately, but not publicly. I've talked with a lot of people who agree with me about these things, so don't try to make this out to be some kind of petty revenge, because we both know that I am far beyond that level of indecency.

Mr "Development Director", you should know better.

That is, I believe, our charge as the users of the site: To set the tone for how interact with each other. The staff can only do so much.
If the staff is removed of all responsibility, then who is to blame? The people who have no power? You seem to think that the staff have no power, and if you think it's the users fault for what the hive has become, this shitty result in which we reside, you are wrong. Moderators are supposed to be good examples to new users, and old, as to how they should act and behave on these forums. And a problem is that a chunk of the the current moderators have been setting the worst possible example for them for quite some time.

The only reason nothing is being done is because those with power refuse to act.

Level 36
If you ask me there is a diference betvean a newbie and a noob.
Newbies are people who are new at something and they admit it. They ask for help and admit they need it. And they should be helped. Remember, all respected users and awsome people on hive and all over the internet were once a newbie. So dont use it as an insult. You were once a newbie.
Noobs are people who are new at something, but say they are "pro" at it when thay actualy are realy bad at it. They dont ask for help. They think they are the best. It should be used to point out theyr behavior and make them relaize it. If it doen't help leave the user be. It shouldent be used as an insult. Especialy not to insult people that are worser then you. Nobody likes to be kcalled a noob, so dont call anyone cuz table can turn easaly and you can be a noob in a blink of an eye.

I agree, but I don't see how noobs tie into this discussion.

Level 14
If the staff is removed of all responsibility, then who is to blame? The people who have no power? You seem to think that the staff have no power, and if you think it's the users fault for what the hive has become, this shitty result in which we reside, you are wrong. Moderators are supposed to be good examples to new users, and old, as to how they should act and behave on these forums. And a problem is that a chunk of the the current moderators have been setting the worst possible example for them for quite some time.

It's almost like you glazed over 3-4 posts before where I said the staff and the users are to blame. But assuming that you're a good user a bothered to read what I wrote, I'm going to assume you just forgot.

I was just giving my opinion that we, as users, have as much a responsibility as the staff does and that we haven't exactly lived up to expectations.

The only reason nothing is being done is because those with power refuse to act.
[/FONT]

False. The only reason nothing is being done is because of the staff's inability to agree on anything and people impeding the acts of the staff when they actually agree on anything.

Level 12
The only reason nothing is being done is because of the staff's inability to agree on anything and people impeding the acts of the staff when they actually agree on anything.
You're under the false impression that this is a democracy.

It's almost like you glazed over 3-4 posts before where I said the staff and the users are to blame. But assuming that you're a good user a bothered to read what I wrote, I'm going to assume you just forgot.
I'm sure we can both agree that the problem stems from moderators not doing their job properly. If they don't keep order, and add to the disorder by behaving poorly, then doesn't that influence how the users also act? Or are you under the illusion that moderators hold no influence over the users?

Level 12
This argument has gotten so stupid anyways. Every point you two are arguing has already been covered several times both in this thread and the other one.
I've been saying the same thing in both threads.

I never said this was a democracy?

You really are arguing the wrong things.
You never said it was a democracy, but your statements show that you think that it's one. I'll note your refusal to agree or disagree that the problems we're experiencing on this site stem from faulty moderators.

Level 35
You're under the false impression that this is a democracy.

It is more like a constitutional monarchy...

Still. Arvedui DOES have a point. When ever the Staff does do something, the Userdom revolts! And of course the Administration is also rather inactive in our dealings (as a whole, I often talk with Samuraid these days...not sure about the rest of them though)

Level 12
Faulty moderation stems from faulty administration.
And of course the Administration is also rather inactive in our dealings (as a whole, I often talk with Samuraid these days...not sure about the rest of them though)

So what's to be done about it? An active admin would be able to punish bad moderators, which would be a very good improvement, as long as the admin did his job well. At the moment there is a large bias towards moderators, especially when they do something wrong. They are not being punished for their bad choice of actions. If it's because the admin refuses to do anything about it, then a better admin needs to be put in place.

And being a moderator doesn't mean that you can do anything you want and get away with it, it means that you give up your user privileges in order to help the site progress and become a better place to stay. Moderation is supposed to be a duty to the community, not the hall pass to retardation it currently is.

Level 35
So what's to be done about it? An active admin would be able to punish bad moderators, which would be a very good improvement, as long as the admin did his job well. At the moment there is a large bias towards moderators, especially when they do something wrong. They are not being punished for their bad choice of actions. If it's because the admin refuses to do anything about it, then a better admin needs to be put in place.

It isn't just the moderators who need punishment...

As for admins, we will soon begin that process.

And being a moderator doesn't mean that you can do anything you want and get away with it, it means that you give up your user privileges in order to help the site progress and become a better place to stay. Moderation is supposed to be a duty to the community, not the hall pass to retardation it currently is.

Why should we give up our user privileges for volunteering our time to give Userdom a site that is atleast half way ordered?

We give our time, effort, and usually our own resources...Why should we give up our humanity? The burden would break us and you wouldn't even have any moderators, the site would descend into true chaos, and you wouldn't even want to visit anymore due to the full reign of trolls, spammers, flamers, rippers, thieves, and dotards.

Remember Vegavak, we are users too, we have just given our time to work for the site, and usually it is thankless work, fraught with complaints, and attempts to drag us down so we can be the pinata of a lulz party.

I agree that admins should be more active, but we should not have to give up 'user privileges', which are often times the only thing we have to give us enough of a break to even want to continue.

"Why should kings not be allowed to eat icecream? Why should a crown get in the way of some measure of earthly delights?"

Level 31
Guys, guys, guys.... You are blaming the mods for the wrong reasons.

Mods, you volunteered here. For no pay. Now, pay doesn't exactly mean money. Instead, of money, you get payed powers. So, in a sense, you are getting payed.

Now, that adds a whole new playing field to the equation. So, slacking on the job, is bad. Yes, I said job. Remember, you are getting payed powers. So, when you slack behind the job, or abuse your power, you should in a sense, be fired. So, do what you were meant to do, and do not do what you are not supposed to do, or you should be fired. It's not like "oh, out of the goodness of my heart, I decided to be a mod". No, don't deny it, you became a mod for the power. The power, is your pay. When you get fired, uh oh, what happened to your pay? It's gone. So, do the job well! When the job is screwed, it is indeed, YOUR FAULT. Quit blaming the admins and other crap.

Now, for the admins. You are doing fine. You own the site, so I don't mind about whatever the heck you do with it. You have the right to abuse every person on this site. It's yours. You can rightfully ban every sensible person on the site if you wanted. You may lose some users, but that is under your control.

As for the users, well, it really depends on the user. We get no pay, but we do nothing. So, it evens out. Quit asking for power when you do nothing. But, there are some users who submit a substantial amount of resources to the site. WHO FREAKING CARES? That was YOUR choice to submit models. All you get is rep. Which shouldn't really even be given to you. So, quit complaining.

Level 31
This thread should be closed. The amount of drama llamas here is disgusting.

Mods: Do your job if you want your priveligdes. Quit being drama queens. You work, you get power. Period. No exceptions. Unless the admins feel otherwise.

Admins: I don't care, whatever the crap you do. You have the right to do it.

Users: Quit complaining. Just because you have resources, doesn't mean you get a prize.

Level 12
Why should we give up our user privileges for volunteering our time to give Userdom a site that is atleast half way ordered?

We give our time, effort, and usually our own resources...Why should we give up our humanity? The burden would break us and you wouldn't even have any moderators, the site would descend into true chaos, and you wouldn't even want to visit anymore due to the full reign of trolls, spammers, flamers, rippers, thieves, and dotards.

Remember, we are users too, we have just given our time to work for the site, and usually it is thankless work, fraught with complaints, and attempts to drag us down so we can be the pinata of a lulz party.

I agree that admins should be more active, but we should not have to give up 'user privileges', which are often times the only thing we have to give us enough of a break to even want to continue.
The sacrifice a King is born into isn't ice cream, it's his freedom. He is charged with protecting the dignity of the crown. As such, he cannot indulge himself in most of the things an average person takes for granted. It's virtually the same with moderators, or at least how it's supposed to be.

And by no means am I saying that mods shouldn't be able to have fun. There is a time and a place. Moderators are the very people who set examples, and so far that example has been, "yes i am always allowed to be a retard cause i want to
be
a
retard"

Mods: Do your job if you want your privileges. Quit being drama queens. You work, you get power. Period. No exceptions. Unless the admins feel otherwise.
Emphasis.

Level 11
This tread is getting out of control.

And who care is it with w or v. Whats important is that people understand what I wanted to say (most o the times). Grammer nazy...

Level 11
Well my teacher of Ebglish class sas my dentences are perfict. We had to write a short text about anything. I had grammer and sentences were made perfectly. She didnt red it her self, so I dont know about the spelling. It was bad probablt. And since we were reading it, porhapes I neutraliezed all the grammer mistakes. I often formulate the sentence corectly in my head, but write it (or tipe it in for that matter) incorrectly. Usualy when its long.

Like this post ^^

Level 31
HailFireer said:
I volunteer to be a mod.

A person with the will to help would do it with action rather than speak it out loud.
After all, action speak louder than word.

Saying that you volunteer to be the staff are more likely you are doing it for power rather than helping this site to be improve.

Rest assure the staff would never appoint you a part of them upon seeing this message of yours as they adopt the motto of "Don't call us, we call you".

I have seen most of your post and I do not think you are qualify for the job. Don't feel offense, but this is the reason why I do not think you are qualify.

Most of your post just said "Excellent", "Good", "Not bad" and etc etc. Shall a person being a mod to manage a resources, this kind of review was rather pointless and more to spam. A staff should be more specific by given a valid reason of why it deserve this rating or approval/reject.

As you can see, this is the reason why we doesn't have enough qualify people for this job.

Reviews without proper English can´t be taken serious.

Depends on the condition, it is always recommend to have the English standard to be at least at the understanding level with the lowest typo/grammar error as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.