• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft II Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
uhm...how can we edit the maps or look at them? we have no editor, right? ^ ^ i don't understand...

MPQ editors can look inside at the files. Sure, you can't edit them very easily, but you can extract .galaxy files and look at the scripts, and I'm sure theres an object data file in there which would be easy to identify.

Level 10
What are the differences between novice and ordinary maps?

Novice maps have destructible's that block the main entrance to starting locations. This prevents rushing. Also, it seems that many "back-door" entries to start locations are also sealed off.

Level 10
blah, for whatever reason I can't download the maps and these don't seem to work either

I put them in Pyritie/My Documents/StarCraft II Beta/Maps, is that right?

These maps do NOT have the original file-names, they were renamed for human readability and to follow the Blizzard map naming convention.

Maps are stored in Cache, ie. in C:\Users\Pyritie\appdata\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net\Cache

Therefore, you would need to get a friend with the BETA to send you a copy of their cache as to have working maps.

Level 22
I asked myself, why is this spreading of SC2 files all over your hdd? Say if you install on drive D: it saves cache in AppData that is on Windows Drive C: while also scattering replays files and map cache in User\Docmunets\Sc2beta\..

Why isn't it like War3, all in 1 folder+subfolders, I hope this changes.

I asked myself, why is this spreading of SC2 files all over your hdd? Say if you install on drive D: it saves cache in AppData that is on Windows Drive C: while also scattering replays files and map cache in User\Docmunets\Sc2beta\..

It better be. The drive where my OS is only has a few gigs left on it, it doesn't need to be filled anymore. The drive where my Beta client is installed has like 30 gigs or something.

Level 9
It better be. The drive where my OS is only has a few gigs left on it, it doesn't need to be filled anymore. The drive where my Beta client is installed has like 30 gigs or something.

How will it matter where the files are stored if they all end up taking up the same amount of space? Hard drive space shouldn't be a problem anymore these days, stop living in the stone age.

Level 12

Because the C:\ drive contains your installation of Windows, along with your Application Data and My Documents folders. If you were to install Windows on your D:\ drive, then StarCraft II would save everything on the D:\ drive.

Level 10
The thread is now updated: it includes the newly released maps and all maps are in SC2Map file-type, and therefore can be opened in the Galaxy Editor.

Level 22
It's so cool - you can fill the whole map with a single tileset without having to manually do it for the whole map. You can also copy+paste terrain from one map to another as if you're pasting units wow.

I dont know if you can copy the whole object data from 1 map to another, there is no export data option.

Level 2
Well i like the maps but i cant wait for 8 player maps or maybe even more players :D and i have a question how do you open the normal maps with the editor i cant find them!

Level 12
They're in the cache folder.
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAMEHERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.Net\Cache
Vista/7: C:\Users\YOURNAMEHERE\AppData\Local\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.Net\Cache

Level 2
thx but im in the cache folder now but i cant find any maps really weird and i really wanna open them with galaxy editor so i can edit them :(

Level 12
Just keep looking. They'll have the S2MA extension. In order for the map editor to read them, DO THE FOLLOWING.
1) MAKE A COPY AND PUT IT ON THE DESKTOP. NEVER WORK WITH THE ORIGINAL.
2) RENAME THE EXTENSION FROM ".s2ma" TO ".SC2MAP".
3) HIT THE "OPEN AN EXISTING MAP" BUTTON IN THE EDITOR AND POINT IT TO YOUR DESKTOP.
4) OPEN THE MAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.