• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

StarCraft II Galaxy Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Nono, there's a 3dsmax plugin. Meaning I'm sure 3dsmax users that also happen to be programmers would be happy to make Blender plugins, Milkshape plugins... Whatever the hell you use.

Level 2
Unfortunately, I don't use any of the common game modelers, like Milkshape or Fragmotion... I use Carrara for my 3D modeling and animation work, and I doubt there'll ever be a plugin for it... What'd be useful is if the editor could import Direct X models (.X) or use something like FBX for importing. At least for animated models. Then for static models/doodads, something like OBJ or 3DS...

Level 2
But they arent trying to please people who use obscure programs. people have to adapt to the program given, they shoulden't have to adapt to us. (cuz the pwn ofc)

What type of model file do they use with sc2 models ooc?

.X is a DirectX model and is by no means obscure, and FBX is pretty much a standard for 3d modelers. And lots of programs can export to either one of them or both of them, so they're not obscure.

Level 12
No, in patches, if it's found that there's something Galaxy can do that GUI cannot, a new GUI function is added. They really want to support modding.

However, yes, if you know Galaxy/C well then it's much, much faster.

Level 12
I can guarantee they will. Why wouldn't they? It was on one of their units that existed in one of their BETA builds, no doubt they'd keep that function as it would be extremely helpful.

yeah, and apparenty you can have multiple missile launch points, and you can stagger launches beween launch points ect. so for instance: if i have a tank with a main gun, a machine gun and a pair of mini-rocketpods. i could make it so that he could attack once with the gun, twice with the machine gun (2 attacks in .50 seconds) and it could fire a rockt from one pod, and then .50 seconds later, i could fire antoher rocket from the second pod. all on a rotating turret. and all part of 1 attack sequence. PWNAGE.

Level 12
The above sounds badass. But what if they all fired, using this cool pattern... At the same time? It's like 5 units in one, and they can all attack separate units.

Level 19
Yes, SC2 will invent whole new methods. If you have the beta like i do, uve seen the zerg unit Brood Lord. that can shoot missles and the missles regenerate around him like a blood mage and the missles are actually units that deal damage on impact and keep attacking, That can bring whole new ideas to everything on the game alone, along with all the other tactics that sc2 will bring.

Level 12
Well, the way the ray is designed, it has no use doing that, but other units like a hellion should be able to do that; we'll have to see. Plus, there's the attachment things, and if you attach units to the head of another, and the base moves, the others will move but will still be using their attack.

Level 5
There would be no point in putting out the map editor if they disabled the object editor and trigger editor. Why would Blizzard want people to just make terrain maps?

I will make this prediction. People who were into Starcraft 1 but never got into Warcraft 3 or Warcraft 3 modding are going to be pissed. I only got into War 3 modding about a year ago, and it is way advanced over Starcraft 1. Most SC 1 modders couldn't make the transition over to War 3.

War 3 modders are going to jump right in. Everyone else is going to have major problems. You will hear complaints that the "interface is horrible" that "it is too complicated" that the Galaxy Editor just "sucks" because it is going to be too steep of a learning curve for many people.

Level 12
This is true. And I'll write many of them, if I get the time to. ^_^

I'm not sure yet... Has it been discovered that the pictures on Sc2mapster are fake, or that they're actually what Sixen claims them to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.