• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft Arcade for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Blizzard has announced that they will be allowing anyone to download the game and play the arcade for free without owning a copy of WoL or HotS. This is only for arcade games and not for actual Blizzard content such as ranked/unranked games or the WoL and HotS campaigns.

Level 21
Me too, it seems kind of weird that if it was a universal law that SCII was better than WCIII in every possible way it seems odd that all standing between those people and WoL is 30$.

Well, currently WC3 thrives through simplicity. It is possible to make good maps without having very much knowledge or skills.
This is what keeps it alive.
Those that have higher skills tend to move on to other game engines, such as unity or even make their own.
SC2 has the potential to be like an expansion to WC3, in that it is a bit more complicated as an environment, but provides more possibilities.
Thus, it's logical that the higher level people would move onto SC2, which would drag down the quality of WC3 maps.
Then it's only a matter of time.
Yes, WC3 would probably not die completely, but it would definitely lose a lot of the modders.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

They try to attract more people to play sc2. And make developing arcade games for sc2 worth the time, as more people would have access to the map.

I'd like more if they made melee more interesting. At the moment even in gold league you need to know builds, and work hard in game to succeed . That's geeky, not entertaining.

Arcade maps, such as tower defenses, squadron for example, are awesomely entertaining and not that geeky. I guess people will love free arcade, yet I think SC2 team should make melee a bit more attractive. Hope we see something like that in LotV.

Level 24
They try to attract more people to play sc2. And make developing arcade games for sc2 worth the time, as more people would have access to the map.

I'd like more if they made melee more interesting. At the moment even in gold league you need to know builds, and work hard in game to succeed . That's geeky, not entertaining.

Arcade maps, such as tower defenses, squadron for example, are awesomely entertaining and not that geeky. I guess people will love free arcade, yet I think SC2 team should make melee a bit more attractive. Hope we see something like that in LotV.

I hear you, it would be crazy if geeks were actually attracted to video games. :p But the StarCraft games are well suited for many players and not as suited for others, even though I'm not a giant fan of SCII I would hate to see it changed.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Making melee game more interesting/attractive = changing the foundation of the games? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Level 24
Making melee game more interesting/attractive = changing the foundation of the games? I don't quite understand what you mean.

Well you speak about making the game less competitive and this is a game that at it's core is very competitive.

Some news just received is that you will be able to play costum starcraft 2 games with all the three races.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Are you afraid it'd make e-sports less popular?

More interesting/attractive = less competitive?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

@Xonok Where did I say so? o_O the miss of entertainment in melee that was. Well duh to what?

Level 21
@Xonok Where did I say so? o_O the miss of entertainment in melee that was. Well duh to what?

At the moment even in gold league you need to know builds, and work hard in game to succeed . That's geeky, not entertaining.

I agree with memorizing builds though, that's not so much about being good, but just doing boring stuff.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I said so, but I didn't complain about it. I complained about the geekiness.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
With the advent of Patch 2.1, we're blowing the doors off the Arcade and Custom Game modes by making them completely free to all players. We'll also be unlocking all three races in Starter Edition to offer new players a more comprehensive experience with StarCraft II. You'll be able to introduce your friends to StarCraft II like never before, and map developer community will be able to grow and flourish with an influx of new players.
I can confirm this is true as it is posted by Blizzard on the official website.

We are also getting all WC3 Orc heroes next year in SC2, at least the models for them. All of them are beautifully re-mastered to fit into the SC2 engine with high poly meshes, multiple layers and beautiful animations.

We are also getting all WC3 Orc heroes next year in SC2, at least the models for them. All of them are beautifully re-mastered to fit into the SC2 engine with high poly meshes, multiple layers and beautiful animations.

Source/link? I just saw the orc models. I didn't know they were doing it for all, I thought it was just rumored. If so, then that is pretty awesome. :)

Level 2
if anyone is going to try this out I highly recommend the mafia game it is a computer version of the party game where everyone takes the of role in a village and has to figure out who the murderer,werewolf or in this case mafia players are before the mafia kills off the whole town, very very fun and works surprisingly well for a game that normally needs physical interaction

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I would recommend trying out Hive Keeper or StarCraft Universe. They are also part of the arcade and show how powerful SC2 really is. Really, you will feel like you are playing a different game if you try them.

If you are a fan of typical zombie survival games then Undead Assault 3 would be a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.