• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Searching for map name!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Well, I was too lazy / too unmotivated to create a map myself so I decided to choose one of Hives' templates.
I decided to choose Heinvers Peacefull Valley.

I modified it ( just noticed he does not say in map description whether he allows modification, but because it is a template map it is okay as long I give credits, I guess) to make it fit to my own ideas.

But, one thing I am lacking is a game-name.
( Pls note map terraining isn't finished yet!)

I thought about a name some time, but the only thing that came to my mind were things like 'Eternal Fall', 'Destiny Choosers' and 'Fall Valley'. Yeah, they sound obvious lame.

But, of course, I have to give you a bit information about the multiplayer map before you and I can think of a name.
It is supposed to become a ~Freelancer map in which you have a Hero ( no revive) of a selected race. Currently I am working on Human and Undead, but I have ideas for Elves and ...yeah, for Elves.
BUT, additionally to your race, you choose a profession that decides over your gameplay. For example, as Undead you can choose between Necromancer and ... *I haven't developed others*
So you are not limited to your race, but to your profession. Your profession decides about not only your gameplay, but also about your tactical options. Obviously, the village you can see in the screens won't support any Undead that want to kill them.

If I had to compare it to other maps, it would be a map similar to 'Founders of the North' ( pls notice the little map size in my map! ( see template for this))) and 'Wilderness Survival', but it would be more focused on Life and Survival instead of building a town or something. You can craft, build and if you find a wife, get children that can help you.
You can create your own gameplay due to a free to choose alliance system. Only limits are between AI-Village and some Player-Races.

Well, I could continue writing but I think it is enough for a short brainstorming ( can you say this in English ?). Feel free to add suggestions for the name of this Survival/RP/RPG/LoaP Map.

Vale%20of%20Blossoms%20Screen%20%235.jpg

Vale%20of%20Blossoms%20Screen%20%232.jpg

Vale%20of%20Blossoms%20Screen%20%233.jpg

Vale%20of%20Blossoms%20Screen%20%234.jpg

Vale%20of%20Blossoms%20Screen%20%231.jpg

I think these screens are in terrible qualitity. Therefore I excuse in case it is bothering you. I am still trying to figure out how to do things the best way here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Well, I am a bit disappointed, atleast I expected a comment of Heinvers to the terraine change and some opinions on gameplay.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Ready?

Road to Destiny!

That was my only one I had in mine.

Hm, yes sounds good, but it also sounds really dramatic, doesn't it ? If I hear 'Road of Destiny', I will think about a dramatic action game with blood and battle and death.

But, this map can also feature calm gameplay with fishing, hunting and farming, diplomacy and so on. It is up to each player what way of gameplay he wants to choose ( therefore it gives a good base for RP, I hope).

Not sure whether your suggestion really fit this game.
But anyway, I am more than glad that you help me!

Level 2
I have a few names, but this is indeed a pretty difficult name to consider :)

The Calmer Side of War
Nature of Man
Peace of Mind
The Peace of War

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Fair point. This is pretty difficult. Most of these suck IMO but I tried.
Thank you for trying :)

Nobility
Knighthood
Prosperity
Prestige
-> I am not sure about these as you can also be Undead, High Elves, Night Elves, maybe Demons one day. Those names only fit Human-only maps, in my opinion.

Feudal Lords of _____
-> same argument, an Undead as Lord ?

Rivalry
-> hm, simple, but misleading as it provoke that the map is about battle ( there are less people thinking of diplomacy and calm life in wc3)

Fate of heroes/leaders
-> Hm, makes your Hero greater than he is. Heroes are supposed to be mortal beings and not great Leaders that are nearly invincible.

Thirst for prosperity
-> well, sounds interesting, but it also determine gameplay, doesn't it ?

The name of the place?
-> Vale of Eternal Fall ? Would you play a map that is called like this ? What do you think if you hear this map-name ? I am unsure because many great maps become uninteresting because their title does not express their gameplay.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I have a few names, but this is indeed a pretty difficult name to consider :)
I understand it is really difficult with limited information :(

The Calmer Side of War
The Peace of War
-> hm, that sounds good, but focus a bit on war/makes think of war, doesn't it ?

Nature of Man
-> hu, there is also a female available ^^

Peace of Mind
-> Oh, I like this one, but due to the fact that you can also engage battle ( for example, Undead against a Human Player/the Village), it is not expressing battle-opportunity

I like your variety of ideas, would be glad if you have more ideas! Thanks for help!

Level 2
I understand it is really difficult with limited information :(
No worries :)

The Calmer Side of War
The Peace of War
-> hm, that sounds good, but focus a bit on war/makes think of war, doesn't it ?
Yes, it does. I was wondering if there was a war during the time which the map takes place. You could perhaps mention it if you would use the name, but it wouldn't have to be anything about a war.

Nature of Man
-> hu, there is also a female available ^^
Yes, I know :) But I mean Man as a collective term of humans. Since you have elves and other races, this name would probably not fit.

Peace of Mind
-> Oh, I like this one, but due to the fact that you can also engage battle ( for example, Undead against a Human Player/the Village), it is not expressing battle-opportunity
There can be peace of mind with fighting, still :)

Well, here's a few more I can think of off the top of my head:

- Eternal Fall (Since your location is called Vale of Eternal Fall, just Eternal Fall could be a good name. It's peaceful yet could still include war and battle).
- Life in the Vale
- Life in Eternal Fall

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yes, it does. I was wondering if there was a war during the time which the map takes place. You could perhaps mention it if you would use the name, but it wouldn't have to be anything about a war.
Hm, story isn't really developed now, but it will be rather that you were travelling around the world and you reach this vale and decide to settle down

Yes, I know :) But I mean Man as a collective term of humans. Since you have elves and other races, this name would probably not fit.
Oh okay, I understand.

There can be peace of mind with fighting, still :)
Well, you can debate about that ,)

Well, here's a few more I can think of off the top of my head:
- Eternal Fall (Since your location is called Vale of Eternal Fall, just Eternal Fall could be a good name. It's peaceful yet could still include war and battle).
- Life in the Vale
- Life in Eternal Fall

Well, Eternal Fall was one of my first suggestions ^^

Life in the Vale-> too simple, isn't it ?
-> Life in Eternal Fall: hm that sounds somewhat, doesn't it ? Somehow I like this one, although it is some kind of obvious and simple.

Level 2
Oops :) Didn't see that Eternal Fall was one of your suggestions. In any case, you could stick with Eternal Fall, as it isn't that bad a name :).

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Oops :) Didn't see that Eternal Fall was one of your suggestions. In any case, you could stick with Eternal Fall, as it isn't that bad a name :).

hm , I will think about 'Life in Eternal Fall' and 'Eternal Fall' :)

Thank you a lot!
Maybe I will message you in case I need story, do you also develop quests or is it just limited to stories and poems ?

Level 2
I can try some quests, if you want. It is, after all, just writing a story with an objective and rewards :), shouldn't be too hard.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Suggestions:

- Stick with a single grass color (no orange + green)
- Tint the trees down, they're too bright
- Make the stone roads thinner
- Don't leave village ground too flat, or generally any ground
- Add a Fog (Scenario - Map Options)

For the terraine, I didn't really changed much expect the trees at the moment. I am wondering about the 'sticky' thing, doesn't it give some variety in terraine ? Heinvers used green + dirtygrass and I just changed it to orange+dirtygrass.

okay, I will tint them down, so I just 'change color' to make them look darker ?

There is fog, but it is really weak and bad to see, I will change that.

I will change roads and flat grounds, too.

Thank you for your good advices!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

1. That's the point of him using green + dirty grass, because they match. Just a suggestion, though.

I disagree that they don't match, orange and little grass. I think it creates an atmosphere of Fall, what's the season of the map. In case I would use Heinvers default, it would look more like summer. Using only dirt to orange grass creates a miserable atmosphere of decay, in my opinion.
If you have a suggestion how to change the green-grass-dirt and add a tile that looks more autumn, I would be glad to hear your suggestion.

2. Yes, reduce the RGB colors in the Object Editor

WOW, great advice, I didn't expect it to look THAT much better!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

March of foes
The Fall of leaves
A kings Rise
Conquer
November comes
A day for the solemn
History

March of foes
-> too aggressive, isn't it ? The game is about settling down, and hardly about only waging war.
A kings Rise
-> sadly, there is no king
Conquer
-> there is nth. one could conquer or to say, conquering is not your main goal
November comes
-> why not September, August ? Does not express something except Fall
A day for the solemn
-> but, in case, you are threatened by a Necromancer, what do you celebrate then ? Too positive, sadly.
History
-> that's interesting, quite philosophical, one could interpret a lot into this title

The Fall of leaves
-> well that sounds good! I add it to my personal selection.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

You can try the Village Fall Short Grass tile. (If I recall correctly there is, but it's been so long)

Yes, that's the right tile, but now a new problem occurred: Now the farm fields look really ugly and dominating...
Any suggestion?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just changed Village Grain with Village Fall Grain

Level 4
Woops didnt read your entire post. I just read some stuff about FoTn, necromancy and saw some screenshots. lol

And to clarify, November is the month of spring.

Glad I helped though, I was kinda debating whether or not I should give you the "fall of the leaves title" haha, its cool with rhetoric.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Woops didnt read your entire post. I just read some stuff about FoTn, necromancy and saw some screenshots. lol

And to clarify, November is the month of spring.

Glad I helped though, I was kinda debating whether or not I should give you the "fall of the leaves title" haha, its cool with rhetoric.

Oh, I do know what is November ( Spring ? you mean fall ?)

Oooh, now I get the rhetoric.
Why not, it will cause some smiles, I suppose that is not a bad thing.

Level 4
noooo I mean spring, because fall identifies the end of summer and the beginning of winter. Which means, after winter, begins summer :)

So, "November comes" could be translated to, looking past the hardest part of the year.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

noooo I mean spring, because fall identifies the end of summer and the beginning of winter. Which means, after winter, begins summer :)

So, "November comes" could be translated to, looking past the hardest part of the year.

Wooh, that's a big interpretation. I myself thought about November as a revolution name ( I think some revolutions are called 'November revolution'). But interesting argumentation. Hardest part of the year, or in my map, hardest part of your life, after travelling around you finally settle down. But I think it is may too specific isn't it ?

Level 6
Hey I have a nice bush for this map I think, ripped from wow. I'm pretty sure you're the one who gave it to me actually ^^

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hey I have a nice bush for this map I think, ripped from wow. I'm pretty sure you're the one who gave it to me actually ^^

I probably gave you the link ^^
May you tell me what bush you are talking about ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

•Instinct of Survival (since your goal in your map is to survive and get strong)
•Survival of the Fittest
•Kings Road or Kings Valley(maybe your character wants to be a king someday)

I think the second and third I already heard. About the first, well, it focus on survival, but I think it does not express the RP and RPG elements, does it ?

I decided to open a poll if I reached a certain point of development and then I will add it to the poll.

Thank you !

Status
Not open for further replies.