• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Roller Coaster

What Do you think of roller Coaster?

• I would try this, And likely play it more then once.

Votes: 69 68.3%
  • I would try this, but i would likely only play it once.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I might would try this, but i don't think i would enjoy playing it.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • This is a horrible game idea, or a horrible game idea for warcraft.

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Updated Map. Roller Coaster Alpha 1.9

In this update i got quite a few smaller things i wanted to clean up.
It has a much better ride experience then in the past, and many cool stats.
I didn't get to work on the core of the game sadly but hopefully by next version.

Updates
Sky
Larger area to build in
Minor Terrain work
Improved Stats For Roller Coaster
Colored Stats
Re did parts and add some functionality to the builder
add functionality to the rider
Re did Physics
Added Things you pass to make it feel like your moving.
Tips (can be turned off)
Revamped Quest Menu.

Request
In This Version, I am looking to continue lowering the learning curve.
If you try the game and can think of any good tips, i could add i would like to hear them.
Or Any Tips you find confusing or not useful i would like to know (current tips).

Plans For next update (End Feb is most likely)
2 Game modes(Free Build, Ai Challenge)
Icons Added to spells.
Fix Rider Cam
Improve Cart, To better ride on tracks

Pending on adding, unsure at moment
Some Basic Music. (can be turned off)
A Basic Tutorial in game, that shows the basics, if you want to use it. (Pending, Might not do this next version or ever...)

Level 12
Correct.

And my goal is not update it more then twice a month. That way if someone tells me something isn't working right, i know that version they are using. ect.

In future versions...
I also did some testing, And it looks like 4 player might be max. Because after about 2000 tracks the game starts to lag a little.
Sorta makes me sad i wanted to allow 1000 tracks per player. but at this point looks like closer to 400-500 tracks per player max.
But maybe in single player on free build i will up it to 1500-2000. Not sure how ill do this...
500 would be able to do most if not all screen shots.

Level 9
You should make it like a theme park game

kinda like Thrillville where you run your own park and have stands and make money and spend money on your theme park.

Have you ever played "Genesis Of Empires" where you have like population but you could change it to visitors and such. I think it would make the game a lot better gives it more chances for people to play the game again. And like have it so for stands it attracts more people and stuff.

Level 12
Hi Everyone. I got a Question. Whats the best way to let the user easily know what it is they Ai want?.
Any feedback would be useful.

Information For Question
I am working on a mode called Ai challenge.
Your goal will be to make a roller coaster that will make the Ai happy.
The Ai will be either a little girl, little boy, man , orc , peon ect.
The Ai will have 3 things they want in a roller coaster.
It will be your goal to get as close to the 3 things as possible.

Code:
[U]10 Coaster Stats[/U]

1. Total Time (In Seconds)
2. Total Tracks (Distance)
3. Average Speed 
4. Fastest Speed (Max speed 522)
5. Largest Acceleration (Biggest increase in speed over 20 tracks)
6. Largest Deceleration (Biggest Decrease in speed over 20 tracks)
7. Average Height Of Roller Coaster
8. Highest Track (Max Height 1500)
9. Percent Of Time On Coaster Upside Down (%)
10. Total Loops

So The Ai will have 3 of these picked. They will have a preference on each one of those 3.
Note: At any time building the coaster you can hit "Stats" Spell, and it will tell you your current roller coaster stats (the 10 things above).

Question
Whats the best way to let the user easily know what it is they Ai want? ( A1, A2, and B. If tell "B" Type Your idea)

A. Tell the user at the start of the round, and then let them click on the Ai Unit, that has 4 spells. That say "1", "2", "3", "All".
If they click on "1", It will tell the user one preference.
If they click on "2", it will tell the user a different preference.
If they click on "3", it will tell the user yet another preference.
If they click on "All", it will tell the user All 3 preferences. (Just like at the start)

How Should it display text from the Ai?
A1. It tells the user by Text on the screen.
A2. It tells the user by going in to climatic mode And putting the text there, And last 10 seconds, or till they hit esc)

B. Other, Any Ideas you think would work better.

Level 12
Interesting , already a step ahead of you , currently they do that. But i don't like the idea to use the command line, as many games i forget about the commands in the command line. I think ill make it so you can click on the person, and click on 1-3 or 4 things as spells And it will tell you. But basically the same idea. If it strikes your fancy i can also add it to the command line.

The next version should be coming out soon. not tons of update but icons, and a few fix's and perhaps the Ai challenge mode. its mostly done i just need about 2-4 more hours of work on it to finish it up.

Level 7
this project sounds so cool, im just wondering is there any place where i can see how far this project is going :)

So i just tried the map and here is what i think about it

The idea is great and i know the map is not done and you are planning alot of other things

The colour of the track is not needed and when you ride a roller coaster in first person view you can only see blue (if the track is blue ofcourse)

I played the real roller coaster and i know that its impossible to make a exactly warcraft like map, but this map is really good and reminds me about the building thing in RC

the models is a little bugged, example some times the wagons wheel are under the tracks, and i think you need a new model to make the ride turn instead of just turning around the ordinary track model.

Level 12
this project sounds so cool, im just wondering is there any place where i can see how far this project is going :)

Thanks, Try the first post look under game modes. Thats my goal. 4 player game with 3 game modes. 4 player is what my goal is , i don't know if it can be that much or if it has to be less or can be more. My test suggest 4 player will run just fine.

So i just tried the map and here is what i think about it

Ok Lets see what you think.

The idea is great and i know the map is not done and you are planning alot of other things

This is very true.

The colour of the track is not needed and when you ride a roller coaster in first person view you can only see blue (if the track is blue ofcourse)

The Color of the track, isnt needed? Well thats why you can turn the colors on or off. They sure help me when i am building a coaster. But are they really "Needed" No, but they help me build. So they are useful for some people.

First person view you can only see blue. Well I not fully understand. i know you cant see the other tracks going up or down. blue or what ever color they are depending if the colors is still on. This isnt a trigger issue as much as i have no idea where you should be looking. so i have you look the same angle as the cart is looking.

Any suggestions? Should you be looking at center of the track ahead of you instead? but when you are going straight you would almost be looking down. So not sure how this can be done better, but i am sure it could.

I played the real roller coaster and i know that its impossible to make a exactly warcraft like map, but this map is really good and reminds me about the building thing in RC

Well To tell you the truth i never played roller coaster trycoon. But it was the idea of that game (making coasters) i thought could be a fun project to make. So i cant really compare them as i dont know much about it. But i am sure many of the same things will be the same. like the AI i am finishing soon.

The truth is i started this project, because i enjoy making systems. And i wanted to prove that the gui as it is overall worse then jass in about every way, is that its still powerful enough to make a game like this, and in a small amount of code without noticeable lag. The code is bigger then i had planed, but with so many things going on, it cant be helped much.

the models is a little bugged, example some times the wagons wheel are under the tracks, and i think you need a new model to make the ride turn instead of just turning around the ordinary track model.

This is due to not so much to the model but my lack of trigger skills. I know its possible but i am not quite sure how to make the model rotate from going to angle 0 to angle 15 with out just switching the units. Currently i go from a unit that isnt rotated, to a preRotated unit that is 15 degrees rotated. I know its possible, but i am doing the best i can.(Fell Free to help, by sending me in example of how this could be done) :)

And even with that, the model is still going from angle 0 track to angle 15 track all of a sudden. That might not even help alot. But i agree it needs some work, and i plan to make it a little better then currently.

Level 17
The truth is i started this project, because i enjoy making systems. And i wanted to prove that the gui as it is overall worse then jass in about every way, is that its still powerful enough to make a game like this, and in a small amount of code without noticeable lag. The code is bigger then i had planed, but with so many things going on, it cant be helped much.
, you definitely proved it, this system is really amazing for Warcraft 3 engine.

Level 12
Update Version Alpha 2.0

This update is mostly a visual update.

Added Skin To Track. (looks all wooden now, more warcraft like)
Almost All new Icons.
Better Tool Tips. (They still need some work)
Added Hot Keys.
Better Tips.
You now speed up and slow down 50% faster. And start off faster. (It doesn't feel so slow anymore)
Coaster Stats Updated
Fixed Some Bugs And few more minor updates

I was hoping to show the Ai, this version but its not quite right yet, You should be able to expect it next version.

Things likely to come next version.

AI Challenge should be done.
preview picture.
All Grammar To be gone throw.
Several languages supported.
Rider Cam, adjusted and one more camera added to it.
Fix Cart to better ride on tracks. (This Needs to get done, i just keep avoiding it)
Flags on every 5th to 10th track.
Sound effects.
Also Hopefully anything and everything that needs to get done before i can start mulitplayer.

Other Ideas i trying to do
Allow coaster to go over water and different height Terran, but as of yet i am failing, badly at this.

Also Added lindenkron to the project group, as he made the wooden skin that is now in the game. I also added Daskunk to testers, as he give me alot of of good feed back, many of hes suggestions will be done next version though.

Level 12
Want to give me a simple demo map or a link to instructions to make it go 1000 speed?

Ya i know the cams got issues. Too many things has issues. I trying... :)

I also didn't mean to leave on the Ai Challenge because its not done yet.

Thanks for feed back though.

Level 12
All Planed, I am a slow map maker thats all. By end of next month this should be mulitplayer. and the end of month after that, have customizable features so you can give your coaster a theme.

but one step at a time. (Dang so many steps and i walk so slow... Maybe if i just fall down the stairs i will get this project done sooner...)

Level 12
I Tired, But warcraft Doesn't work in a way to make it easy for me to do this. If i change the height of the terrain, and i tell my unit to fly 1000 height. and it gos over lower Terran it fly's lower.

In other words if fly's 1000 above current Terran, and not only that makes it hard but the really hard part is that when Terran changes it gos in a hill, that is invisible in game but in the pathing for height is there.

Ill bet i didn't do a good job of explaining. but This is something i have tired and will continue to try, but i got plenty of other things that need to be done first anyway.

Level 11
there is a native for getting the locationZ (yeah location only :< )

native GetLocationZ takes location whichLocation returns real

and for getting the units height to an absolute height is

JASS:
(LocationZ-Z)

and no u can have units under the terrain in wc3

Level 12
Element of Water

Very impressive, but could be done much better in JASS
The GUI Speed isn't in issue as of yet, and ya jass has a few functions that could make this easier.

Basically i am saying, thats nice... but i am here to prove that the GUI has plenty of speed and fucitonality for this game. And ya i could do this with one model and make the cart near perfect with some change in the code. but thats not the gui thats me not having the skills enough to do it.

Jass can do alot, but the gui can also. My goal to show the power of the gui. I am doing this by keeping the amount of code near the same size as jass, without having noticeable lag, the total time making the project being near the same as jass, and showing there is plenty of functionality in the gui.

Besides game shouldn't be judged on there language or there cleanness of code, but of how fun and well they run. in till i see someone make a better roller coaster game in jass...then the the language proven best to make roller coaster games so far would be GUI, not jass.

Anyway i understand you are just saying what you think, and i do agree jass has more flexibility and speed, and in after you learn it can be easier (To most) to write code in. But that doesn't mean the gui isn't powerful and easy to use.

3rgytr54
That would be great, the cart model(s). The biggest thing that should be done soon that i got no plans of getting done. Keep in mind that it would be great if the cart could have a empty model, one with a boy girl, man lady, warrior orc, and a peon. Thats what i am hoping for, if not show me what you got when you get it, as its likely better then whats currently there.

Slaydon
Planed, but Not sure when as its got to come after a list of things i got planed. But its very likely to get done, if i continue to work at the avg pace i have since the project started.

As for the car, it looks cool,but if i get the cart i am looking for, it may be able to add cool skins with flames on it on it for different themes. but i am of now having a hard time figuring out how to have many skins for one model. with out importing the model serverl times with the skin already set to it. In other words currently its much harder to deal with in code and takes more room in the program then it would need. Anyway this will have to wait as other pressing matters are coming first.

Ciebron
Thanks for the information. Could prove useful, (Not sure i understand them fully yet). but not sure it will for my hills. as i don't know the start height of the ground. warcraft will just say zero correct? I mean if i till a bird to fly 100 height over high or lower terrain it will only fly 100 height over the terrain its over, but how do i compare the heights of the terrains. I need a way for the bird to fly over both but not change its position in air, even if is or isn't over high ground.

Lord_of_sausage
No worries, Mr Lord of sausage if i get dead ended working on that part ill com back trying to see if you can find anything about the example you were gonna try to find.

Side Note
Next Version will Very likely have terrain and mulitplayer and perhaps even the ai. The Ai is near done but i decided to put that on hold and move to working on mulitplayer. I had to rewrite most of the project for mulitpalyer but i knew this was going to happen. As of now, my current build 4 players can build, but none can ride. It just takes me some time, and i also tend to spend much more time playing on warcraft then working on warcraft maps.

Thanks for the information. Could prove useful, (Not sure i understand them fully yet). but not sure it will for my hills. as i don't know the start height of the ground. warcraft will just say zero correct? I mean if i till a bird to fly 100 height over high or lower terrain it will only fly 100 height over the terrain its over, but how do i compare the heights of the terrains. I need a way for the bird to fly over both but not change its position in air, even if is or isn't over high ground.
Your answer to that is in JASS :p. This stores in tempReal the height of the terrain at tempPoint:
  • Custom Script: set udg_tempReal = GetLocationZ(udg_tempPoint)

Level 10
This project aint died. Rover is busy with school. So is most of the team. He is doing this in the time he has free so not everything can get done soo quick. Mapping takes time just enjoy the current demo. Also Water Please STOP posting crap saying jass is better. GUI has just as much as jass does and can be proven by soo much lengths. Dont come in here advertising about jass n shit. O ya rover I'm looking for everything you need for next release.

Level 12
Updated
This is a 4 player Version. But I haven't had alot of time to test for bugs. It should run as good as the 1 player version.

(update may look small but was not easy....I hard to pretty much rebuild the game, so it will work for as many players as i want...)

Last edited:
Level 12
Nope, Not really. It would add another layer of complexity to the project.

I had this working before but took it out. Players have hard enough time as is, my goal is to make it easy for the average user to play. Even if i have to tare out a few things for there own good.

At Last a update!

Version Alpha 2.4

* Pick between 3 track models (1 New, and the old model brought back)
* Change the color of your tracks
* Cart Model Added
* Rider Camera Reworked (Much Better now)
* Fixed Coaster Stats
* Question Mark Unit added, to help new players to expert players.
* Loads of tweaks.
* All known Bugs Fixed.

Link To Map Here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.