• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rise of Empires - Europe: Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I decided to focus on a new project, besides my middle earth diplomacy map, and here is the basic design of the terrain.

I made it using a satellite map of Europe. Most of the flaws occur because of either the poor resolution of the map, the fact that it is being translated onto a grid based program (world edit) and of course, my own flawed interpretations.

I would like some feedback, let me know what is inaccurate so I can fix it.

Note: Some things were purposely modified (such as the shallow straights between certain landmasses, this was done so that ground could reach every point on the map).

Again, any feedback is appreciated, thank you.

Updated picture as of 4/3/07.

I have made the trees much smaller, and started to re-add them throughout the main body of my Europe. I am coming up with nothing, however, in so far as what to place in Russia, besides trees. Suggestions would be loved.

Attachments

• Europe.JPG
    Europe.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,119
Last edited:
Not even so bad (this reminds me when I was making europe maps for other games).

Well, what I would like to correct:
Scotland is leaning too much to Ireland
Italy's boot height should be increased to make the France smaller
Why is the lake at San Marino?
Consider to make island of Malta (even though it will be too small to be useful)

This is only a small part of the progression. The real challenge will be making mountains, lakes, woods, cities, ...

Level 3
Okay, I've made most of the suggested changes, mountains and forests and stuff are already being added en mass (Italy, France, and Spain, regions are fully complete and looking beautiful. The map is 256 (long) by 192 (tall). Will post more screens in an edit by the end of the day.

Edit: First post picture updated, 1:49 PM EST

Last edited:
Level 6
He could scall everything on 0.5 or smaller, so he could get much more space.
Then zooming the camera near and it could be a possible idea.

I dont realy like those european maps, caus u would need atleast a 900x900? for enough space to build on. Maybe in Wc4^^

Level 3
o_O

I think I'll use that idea to make almost everything very tiny. Buildings and units, at the least. The river width cannot be fixed because of the WC3 grid-based limitations. I will probably be re-adjusting the size of the trees. And as for the "it's too flat" comment, well, 'it's not done' is my response.

Good ideas with the minimization of units. Keep suggestions coming. Picture updated.

Level 3
TY both, some changes made.

Can't make Scotland much more hilly because it is encroaching on the water (deforming the landmass), but have done some bump mapping. Added some slices of greenery into Scandinavia, mostly along the coast and speckled a portion of the rest.

Still working, might get another screen by the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.