• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Reset Ability Cooldown for Item

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello Hive!
I have been working on a new item on my map which provides a passive aura and has a use to reset the Hero's ability cooldowns. Everything is working fine except for 1 thing, when the hero uses the item, the items cooldown is also reset, making it too OP and broken. Is there any way to put the item on cooldown via trigger?

Here is my simple trigger for reference:
  • Reset Ability Cooldowns
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Uses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to |cffff8000An'shel, Ring of the Perpetual Void|r
    • Actions
      • Unit - Reset ability cooldowns for (Hero manipulating item)
Thanks in advance.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Reset the cooldowns for the unit and then instantly (or as soon as possible) use the item again to put it on cooldown. This second use does not reset ability cooldowns.

You might need some form of instancing system to keep track of which item uses are from the player and which item uses are to force the item cooldown.

Level 5
Reset the cooldowns for the unit and then instantly (or as soon as possible) use the item again to put it on cooldown. This second use does not reset ability cooldowns.

You might need some form of instancing system to keep track of which item uses are from the player and which item uses are to force the item cooldown.
Hello there!
Thank you for responding to my thread!
I tried your idea and the second use also resets the item cooldown as well. So how would I instance it like you suggested?

• Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to |cffff8000An'shel, Ring of the Perpetual Void|r
    • Actions
      • Hero - Order (Hero manipulating item) to use (Item being manipulated)

Level 5
I did such a behaviour by droping the item with the first action, then doing the cooldown reduction and at last regain the item, worked for me.
Hello there!
Thank you for replying to my thread.
That is an interesting suggestion but it has a couple of flaws.
-Its not seamless. (You will see the item dropped on the floor and leave inventory for a split second)
-If you're clicking around, the Hero will cancel the order to automatically pick the item back up, leaving it fair game for anyone else to pick up.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
-Its not seamless. (You will see the item dropped on the floor and leave inventory for a split second)
-If you're clicking around, the Hero will cancel the order to automatically pick the item back up, leaving it fair game for anyone else to pick up.
I assume he means to use triggers to teleport the item out of inventory, reset cooldown, and then use triggers to teleport the item back into inventory. No delay or orders involved.

That said I recall it being infinite loop prone as the item might automatically be used again? I forget the problem with such a method or if it only effect a different event.

Level 5
I assume he means to use triggers to teleport the item out of inventory, reset cooldown, and then use triggers to teleport the item back into inventory. No delay or orders involved.

That said I recall it being infinite loop prone as the item might automatically be used again? I forget the problem with such a method or if it only effect a different event.
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to |cffff8000An'shel, Ring of the Void|r
    • Actions
      • Item - Move (Item being manipulated) to (Position of (Hero manipulating item))
      • Hero - Give (Item being manipulated) to (Hero manipulating item)
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I tried it and it worked!
Thanks to you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.