• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Player gets disconnected 1-2 hrs into game, what can cause this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Playing Erebus against Crabby_Spider on a LAN seems to go fine until 1-2 hrs into the game. He gets disconnected and I sometimes get lag before he does. We usually play with 2-4 AI. There are no coding leaks that we're aware of; could it be the AI scripts?

Looking through the forum it seems that Jass and leaks are the predominate causes of disconnects, which I don't think is a problem. We both use windows, although I have windows Vista and he uses windows XP.

Here's the link to the map, it's open source.

I haven't heard about any problems online from other users.

//\\0o//\\

Level 3
I believe you are experiencing a server split.

Server splits can be caused by either flaws in the map code, or problems with the host. The difference is that with the same sequence of steps, a map will always split, whereas host based splits are determined by high level domain issues that are erratic and uncontrollable.

server splits are very random, code that can look correct but can cause server splits.

Level 14
What do you exactly mean by disconnection can you describe to us what happens when it does?
I might see what I can do if so.

1-2 hours into the game Crabby_Spider will be dropped from the game. He gets the "You have been disconnected" message and is no longer in my game (I host). Usually only 1-2 AI still remain. We are connected via wireless router with me in the adjacent room.

I can continue playing, but Crabby is longer in the game. Sometimes I get lag before he disconnects. Today I didn't get any, he was disconnected for no obvious reason.

I'm not sure if this is because of a small memory leak, or connection issues between my laptop and his PC.

I don't believe there's a server split, he can't play the game after it occurs. He has no option but to exit.

//\\oo//\\

Level 3
Well I have no idea... beacuse if triggers were leaking then there would be gradual lag but from what I gather from your previous posts he seems to just disconnect 1-2 hours.

Checking but I'm not sure if it's entirely the maps prob and also if it where a server split(Game desinc right) it would be caused by a miss used get local player and I've been in one a very long time ago on the internet those having no need to continue to continue with or without a host those therefore not player not knowing the host has left.

edit: Checked and all that I seen was the trigger build that needs improving a lot and though because this is an old game as you've said there was a short lag before your bud disconnected and that is most likely due to those the triggers meeting up with each other all at once there creating a short lag and enough to disconnect with wireless lan...
Also a usefull trigger is using the a custom string at the end of once only use triggers the string
'call DestroyTrigger(GetTriggeringTrigger())'
that destroys the trigger wich is causing useless memory leak like for example a trigger with an elapse time or map initialization that isn't going to be used again you put this at the end of it to remove the useless trigger after use single use.
Just remember to use indexing with variables to reduce the uselessly long triggers and also you can use loops to lower the size of the trigger.

Just remember when it comes to triggering make it as officiant as possible and if possible try to replace those every .03 event triggers if posible as they create lag as well.

Last edited:
In that part I was just explaining what would happen if the game would desinc but instead in his case the game crashes with a bit of lag before hand and has no dialog.
Also I just remembered another reason why it would do this that I remembered. It could also be caused by something corrupted in the map like a tiny file for example a unit or an imported image. If it where an image you may want to check if it where not corrupted by checking the icons file size to see it it where 0 kb and if viewed in anyway it would do what you explained. The other one as said unit can also be caused by an ability being corrupted by it being used or by simply a unit being placed on a map while the map is running in Wc3 or an event happens like an example a unit dies or selected.
I think you get the point I'm getting at with the whole corrupted file thing but it only effects custom made things or something imported or may even be the Wc3 being corrupted but may take a while for you to find out what it is that is causing the problem so keep aware:).
Also I've had a problem like this myself but I resulved it by being cautions myself and deleting and recreating it or re importing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.