• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map randomly revealed in game (no triggers caused it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Testing Erebus v1.2 Crabby_Spider and I discovered a weird bug. The entire map was revealed to both of us (fog was lifted) about 10-15 min into the game, but no triggers to do that exist in the map. They were removed a while ago. The only changes made were the introduction of a folder of triggers from a test map we're working on. We couldn't find anything that could have caused this.

In gameplay constants the creep guard distance, return distance, and return time to 99999.
There are no visibility modifiers in the game.

Is the map bugged? What causes this?

//\\o0//\\

Edit:
Looking around the forum, I noticed that Selection events cause wierd errors. We do have a trigger with selection events in the map.

Edit 2:
We were playing on a LAN, if that means anything.

Edit 3:
There were 9 AI players in the game. (They can't do anything, used only to ensure random starting location) About 10 min into the game they should be defeated due to all of their units' timers running out [dummy units used to prevent a defeat glitch is removed via trigger]. Upon doing this, they enter cinematic mode (granting vision of entire map). Erebus is a FFA, so no shared vision. As far as I know, you can't do anything with your unts in cinematic mode even if Letterbox mode is turned off, and we were. They were not Defeated.

Last edited:
Level 12
That's indeed bizarre. The only thing I can think of is that upon defeat, the cinematic mode is somehow causing this.

Level 14
We only ran into this problem once.

We added a trigger with Event - A unit is selected to remove a dummy unit placed on the map (no selection circle or visibility radius with a doodad as the model on the dummy). The dummy unit was initially needed to prevent a defeat glitch as a result of having no living units when possessing another unit. (The trigger checks every 2 sec to see if a player is still 'alive'. The hidden hero isn't counted as a living unit. While possession is occuring, the possessing unit 'dies' leaving a 1 sec interval where you controlled no living units until you capture the slave).

We found a better method for dealing with the defeat glitch and removed the Selection-event trigger as well as the dummy units. The wierd glitch didn't occur again.

I'm not sure if the glitch is fixed, or just randomly didn't occur. No cheats were used, no unit has any Far Sight like ability, and the greatest sight radius is about 900 (Beacon).

I'm inclined to think that the AI players with no units, when sent into cinematic mode, were causing a sort of bleed over of the mode to myself and Crabby. We may have been playing in cinematic mode (no letterbox), but I don't think that's possible.

Erebus should be updated tommorow/later today, so if anyone wants to check the coding to see if something else may have caused it, I'd really appreciate it.

//\\oo//\\

Level 14
~Bump~

I don't think the glitch was fixed. I just got a complaint that it occured early game. (Before defeat triggers should go off) I'd appreciate it if a few people would check through the triggers for anything that might cause this problem.

If it turns out the game is glitched, what causes glitches? (I do have V1.1 still)

Here's the link to the map.

//\\oo//\\

Edit: Ap0calypse said this when I inquired about this glitch:

The only thing I can think of is the use of cinematic( / letterbox) mode, which can cause the entire map to be revealed :/

I do use this under the Player Defeated conditions, but I'm not sure why it would trigger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.