• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Petition for increasing the mapsize in multiplayergames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Yes, this would benefit the Warcraft III modding community greatly, it wouldn't really affect the download time since the old easy downloadable maps can still be downloaded fast, it's for people who love to make bigger multiplayer maps which have great quality meant for good computers (Or at times, bad computers like mine, even though I'd still play them as they are really enjoyable).

Level 19
Blizzard would definitely be viewing this in their forum and working on it somehow, even if they're not mentioning it.

lol that wont work because then people will multi say and therefore will not be listened to and may be trolled:p.
Anyhow I don't see it with any use with me as I try to keep my map size bellow 500 kb for ultra fast download time :D.
Other than that I shall support as I can see the benefits for other map makers that require custom models.

Last edited:
Level 19
Some mapmakers could use the extra space to add in some extra content for players who are willing to play even with a high download time:)

Vunjo

Hosted Project: SC
Level 14
well, it shouldn't actually, but i can't rememeber where I installed the first warcraft, so yeah, i will have to look for every pc. But once I do it, i will post on battle.net

Level 7
Hmmm... shouldn't this trick still work?

Force people to download a custom mpq you created to avoid 8mb file mapsizes and allow for 8mb+?

Preload ( force it I guess )
Return Bug ( 1.23 and below )
Local Files?
Avoid using too many things?
Links for MPQ so people can download it?

I hope I am not held responsible for speaking of these but it is on topic at least, I'll try to help support the increase max for Bnet however.

Level 17
I'm going to agree with Midnighters, I see no point in the increase - it's good enough as it is for my taste.

Level 19
The increase would be useful for mapmakers who actually need it and who make decent maps, DotA is one example of those reaching the limit (It is kind of a decent game), a bit of an increase wouldn't hurt anybody, since there's no minimum file size that Blizzard demands, therefore I continue to support it and hope most of you do too:)

Level 19
Please do help us sign this, it'd be a huge step for modders and it kind of does no harm to anyone as all it does is just extend boundaries. Maps can still choose to stay the same size or become bigger, more epic ones.

Level 16
If it helps DoTA, I can already see many people disapproving of this.

Dota has over 100,000 regular players, it is in the DB mod hall of fame, there are regular $50,000 dollar cash prize tournaments, and it is being made into a standalone game.

A crazy amount of people like Dota, even if you don't like it you have to respect the absolute talent that Icefrog has. Even though he only coded about half the spells (various peers and friends did the rest), he is a pure genius when it comes to triggering.

People aren't going to sign this petition just to spite Icefrog. I don't see how you can really "hate" Dota, it would be like hating a movie because it sold too well.

Vunjo

Level 14
A crazy amount of people like Dota, even if you don't like it you have to respect the absolute talent that Icefrog has.

Talent? Dude, he just made good spells, and combined them into every single hero, making heroes fun to play, that's all. No talent at all. The ones who made TKoK, Dark Invasion II, and Diablo 3 wc3 map, they are talented!

Level 19
Many modders have that same amount of talent (Or even more) that IceFrog has too, so I think Blizzard would consider increasing the size limit for their game to develop even further.

PS: Oh, and some of my friends are going to sign it today too:)

Vunjo

Level 14
It ain't confusing, and it's fking hard to make, that's why it's talent. There's nothing that is hard in making dota...
What else can I say, the terrain sux like hell in dota too.
Don't make me start with interfaces...
Cause u know, there's a fact why people like dota so much. If it's not the spells and combinations of heroes, then what is it?

@Vunjo - in our country in which a lot plays DotA (to the point that they think that DotA was the game, and never knew that is was wc3), I believe it was because of the fun factor when they play it with their friends, coupled with the constant updates which just increases the possibilities of developing new tactics... and there's something hard to make which DotA achieved, to be a map which has reached a point of global popularity at par with real games... and don't think that I love DotA, I also ain't like it that much...

anyway, I hope Blizzard really do increase the map size by a bit...

Level 20
It ain't confusing, and it's fking hard to make, that's why it's talent. There's nothing that is hard in making dota...
Cause u know, there's a fact why people like dota so much. If it's not the spells and combinations of heroes, then what is it?

Warcraft 3 ladder sucks. So bad terrain and simple spells and only one mode. It is so bad game. But why do some people enjoy it? Man they must be some retards who cant understand the real mapping. Its so much fun to play epic coded maps instead of simple and fun games.

Vunjo

Level 14
@Adiktuz
-It's fun because of spells and heroes
-It is so popular because of fun + heroes
-It is also popular cause it was made in fkin 2004 when there were no other good maps at all.

But yeah, i get the point.

@Super-Sheep
Can't agree more.

Level 16

You're absolutely fucking retarded if you think DotA is easy to make. Terrain serves an in-game purpose, it's designed for how it affects gameplay, like dog of war tricks, dodging, etc, not how pretty it is. Interface isn't changed so it doesn't waste valuable space on useless shit. The reason people like DotA so much, is because it has an incredible replay value, it's spells are relevant to each other on heroes, and there is a very high skill level (as in there is a wide skill range).

Warcraft 3 ladder sucks. So bad terrain and simple spells and only one mode. It is so bad game. But why do some people enjoy it? Man they must be some retards who cant understand the real mapping. Its so much fun to play epic coded maps instead of simple and fun games.

1. AP, 2. AR, 3. RD, 4. SD, 5. CD, 6. CM, 7. EM, 8. DM, 9. RS, 10. DU, 11. SP, 12. XL, 13. OM, 14. SC, 15. LM, 16. MM, 17. TR, 18. VR, 19. RV, 20. OI, 21. SH, 22. AA, 23. AI, 24. AS, 25. ID, 26. NP, 27. NT, 28. NM, 29. NB, 30. NS, 31. NR, 32. PM, 33. MI, 34. FR, 35. MO, 36. RO, 37. ER, 38. SO, 39. ZM, 40. CP, 41. WTF.

41 different game modes to choose from is definitely not one, and you can even mix and match most of them. Again, terrain looks shitty for a reason. It serves in-game purpose, and if it was flashy it would be too distracting in professional play. There's also another thing called "Quality over Quantity". I would rather play something that is extremely simple and fun versus something that is a technilogical masterpiece and not fun (Sidenote, DotA is a technilogical masterpiece and INCREDIBLY fun). You play video games for fun dumb shit.

Talent? Dude, he just made good spells, and combined them into every single hero, making heroes fun to play, that's all. No talent at all. The ones who made TKoK, Dark Invasion II, and Diablo 3 wc3 map, they are talented!

It's funny, because no matter how talented those mappers appear to be, it's Icefrog who gets the multimillion dollar budget to produce a real game out of his idea. I'm not saying it's wrong to think DotA isn't fun. I don't like the sonic the hedgehog games but I don't flame people out for liking them.

I think it's really funny how stupid some people are. How is there any mapper more successful and talented than Icefrog? Are you suggesting it is simple chance that DotA became the most played map on wc3? Natural Selection could be applied to wc3 maps. The best and most adapted maps become played the most. The maps with nothing special or interesting about them, aren't even hosted on b.net. For instance, that map you made, I've never even seen it hosted.

This thread is about something important to maps. If you want to argue about DotA, I'm up for it all day, every day, however, this isn't the right place for it.

Guys, listen to this, then admit that TKoK or Diablo 3 wc aren't as cool as DotA

Level 19
Every game takes some time to make, but eventually most will turn out to be well if the modder is pretty serious about making that map.
Anyways, back on topic, more people are signing the petition! We can really hope for it to happen:)

Vunjo

Level 14
@Thyrael sorry, but I gotta post 1 more post about dota thingy :p

@Beef You are fucking retarded n00b mapmaker if you think dota is hard to made. Look at about 20 omnislash spells on THW and most of them are made by newbies. Also, there are other spells from dota posted here, which makes it not so hard to make huh?
And yeah, there's a system for multiboard, and systems for modes too. And no, terrain is no shitty for a reason. Or better to say, the real reason is cause Icefrog is NOT talented mapmaker and can't make a good terrain. You think that it would make map worse if he adds more doodads, or just simply use another tiles? About interface, he can add 0.05 MBs to the map just by some new icons, which makes it no bigger at all actually. And, he can color the texts, which makes no big changes at all too.

ONTopic: If I get it right, not only people from THW post there, but all people who have account on battle.net, and all those who visit the site often?

Level 19
If I get it right, not only people from THW post there, but almost all people who have account on battle.net, and all those who visit the site often?

That is true, judging by most of my time asking in Battle.Net and people going "Oh, Hive Workshop, yup I've heard of it.".
So yep, signing that form for the overall beneficiary would be nice:)

Level 12
I would say that 2-4mb increase is indeed nice, even though i dont do sh*t with war3 anymore.

...But i wont do my part with this because im an asshole.

oh, and about the dota thing:
I would say that Icefrog isn't exactly 'supertalented' (nobody said that really, but still). Okay i admit that i dislike the community waaay more than the game, but that doesnt matter. Most of the things are really simple imo, not too hard to do if you have help from sites/people/etc, if you dont have any, then it might be abit troublesome. That is, if you dont have any experience whatsoever. (if you want to argue with any of that with me, go to hell).

But successful? absolutely. Not many people manage to go that far.

EDITED ABIT

Level 19
Well, we'll never actually know, who knows, they could do it like what they did before after seeing maps getting more and more advanced in Warcraft III.

Vunjo

Level 14
I'm supporting the idea of increasing the filesize. They should increase it to 16 MB or maybe even 32 MB!
/sign

yeah right. Then you download 5 such maps and you got 160 MB more in wc3....

And calculate yourself if you have about 200 such maps, which is not a huge amount. Many people got over 1000 maps. So, if you want your warcraft to take about 32 Gigabytes, then go on. I don't want it.

12 is enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.