• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Opening new doors: new map templates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Hello guys,

I'm here curious, and thinking. What would be if we can accept templates by any maps considered to be dormant by inactive users or preferred projects that didn't up push up with productivity.

I'm also here thinking about the activity of Dota 1 map, which is quite over now.

Now about the map the game used, since most users can open the map (with secret magic), remove all the triggers and buildings, then leave the terrain as it is.

What do you guys think? sure there should be some proper checking if the map really is quite dead before anyone can use it as their own.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

An interesting idea, especially for genres like Survival and Defence or AoS.

Credits should be given tho, and the original author should also give his permission.

How about users not being able to deprotect a map ? Is there some kind of service planned ?

Level 30
Having author permission is quite the contradiction, say what happens if the said author really is gone? tracking the user would be like a job for seers, and the hopes of having a successful permission is beyond a agreement.

GameRanger doesn't agree.
Sure other consoles are still playing Dota, but the reason I said its quite over is because the lack of continuation of map versions, Dota 1 stopped at v6.83c in March, tiny update for June then Dota 2 is in the hype of better updates and might end up getting a new hero, and so forth.

As for Dota's map template, I'm thinking of just sticking up in having a template for version 6.48 and below.

How about users not being able to deprotect a map ? Is there some kind of service planned ?
As much as I hope to see a bright future for map deprotection being publicly discussed/progressed here. I think its better if users who are capable of opening maps with those tools are better to just do their thing without telling other users how to do it here due to our forum rules, for those who can't deprotect maps, the best way is probably just looking for guideline elsewhere. :grin:

Level 32
DotA 1 on Battle.net is still the most played map but not by much anymore. Legion TD, Castle Fight, and that infamous new map called Masin RPG follows very closely to that #1 spot.

Anyway, here's the updated rule:
Uniqueness said:
Uniqueness:
The map must bring something new to the table. It can't just be another clone of X popular map. It must be radically different from existing maps.
You may in certain circumstances be permitted to submit a modified version of somebody else's map if you fix a bug that makes the map unplayable or if you change it radically. In this case you must give credit to the original author. Also, you must ask for permission if possible.
You can't just take DotA, add a few heroes and call it a new map.
Around January this rule was edited to be like this. Before, you need permission no matter what. This was Ralle's proposal and I think no one opposed it. It had to do with Radicool's Alien Invasion map.

So yes, it's very possible to get permission from IceFrog so you NEED to ask him. On second thought, the original DotA creators we're the one who created the terrain and they can't be contacted so... yes, you are allowed to use the DotA map if it's following every other rule. If it is radically different and or has improved functionality that makes the game not broken if it was before, then it's following the Uniquness rule.

Oh and ohai Kael :D

Status
Not open for further replies.