• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

nooby making terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
So I decided I want to at last make some map, so I started making a bit of terrain for RPG type of map, but my terraining is not very good, so I would like to get some rating about the terrain so far and how to improve it
Here it is(sorry if the quality of the screens is smaller)

The third one is a path that leads to the first village on the map, it is made in style to look like it wasnt being used for quite some time now.
The other side of the path will be done tomorrow, I have ran out of time :D
Also the forest is made so that you can walk in it as far as you know(all the way to the map boundaries) so keep that in mind please

Thank you for your tips, criticism, hate

Attachments

• mapterrainwip1.jpg
    mapterrainwip1.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 133
  • mapterrainwip2.jpg
    mapterrainwip2.jpg
    705.7 KB · Views: 141
  • mapterrainwip3.jpg
    mapterrainwip3.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 164
Level 23
thank you, I also thing its a little bit too plain but I have no idea what should I fill it with.
Do you have any ideas(I dont mean like dirrect names or links, just something like more flowers, rocks etc)
Thank you again

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Oookay, Here's what I think. Firstly, you need to pick one camera angle and for ease, just make a camera prop in order to be able to easily return to that angle. Also, avoid showing tiles up-close as they look rather low quality. As for what to add, just add whatever you feel like adding. And, it would probably be better to use imported models as blizzard trees, for instance, aren't the ones I'd recommend.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't realize it's for an RPG,my apology. My advise for that would be to add some kind of quest purpose to each zone, and something unique, like an old statue, overgrown with vegetation or probably some kind of lake. Also, if it's a singleplayer one, you really should add tons of custom models :)

Level 23
yea I personally like singleplayer stuff more because there are no people relying on me(I had some cases when I had to leave in the middle of some game :/ )
and yea I know the size is not problem, but for me finding good models takes quite some time
Thank you too for the feedback and the trick with camera is quite good
So far everything on the screen is Blizzard's not custom

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

No problem, and the camera thing is mainly for artistic terraining, not playable terrains, my bad :). Also, if you need HQ custom doodads, then feel free to PM or VM me and I will send you a lot of links.

Level 23
currently its just a road, I will try to polish it
Nice? well, not really :D
I most likely wont create something so special noone other saw so far because I cant make good terrain, Im not a person that make things look nice :D

Level 14
currently its just a road, I will try to polish it
Nice? well, not really :D
I most likely wont create something so special noone other saw so far because I cant make good terrain, Im not a person that make things look nice :D

Don't be so hard on yourself. Making a map with good terrain takes a lot of practice. I have terrained and re-terrained my maps so much that I can't even recognize the old parts anymore. I'm far from a great terrainer, but I think I'm a hell of a lot better than when I started. Mostly due to help and inspiration from people on THW.

P.S. my first terrains didn't even look as good as yours haha, they were flat, empty, and boring

Status
Not open for further replies.