• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New ads are super annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I know, I know, the Hive needs ads to finance the server upkeeps and stuff... but recently, a new type of ad has been plaguing the experience:

Full-screen ads that can not be closed without having to reload the site or going back a page (backspace).

This is super annoying and can potentially cause posts getting lost mid-creation.

Basicly after a certain amount of time a fullscreen ad will be shown (not in a new tab, but the same tab hive was running in). There is no "close" or "x" button anywhere to be found and the only way to go back is reloading the page.

Let me get this straight: if Hive needs fullscreen ads to pay the bills, that is totally fine. But the ad should at least allow us to close it without fully discarding whatever we were doing before.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
If ads are leaving the little box in the top where they are supposed to be contained, they are doing something that I do not permit. Please help me figure out which ads are doing this. This is unacceptable. Can you right-click the ad and copy the link and maybe right click and hit "inspect" too and perhaps take a screenshot of that?

Level 7
Yes, I know, I know, the Hive needs ads to finance the server upkeeps and stuff... but recently, a new type of ad has been plaguing the experience:

Full-screen ads that can not be closed without having to reload the site or going back a page (backspace).

This is super annoying and can potentially cause posts getting lost mid-creation.

Basicly after a certain amount of time a fullscreen ad will be shown (not in a new tab, but the same tab hive was running in). There is no "close" or "x" button anywhere to be found and the only way to go back is reloading the page.

Let me get this straight: if Hive needs fullscreen ads to pay the bills, that is totally fine. But the ad should at least allow us to close it without fully discarding whatever we were doing before.
Are you sure it's not a virus of yours? Sometimes random extensions does that.

Are you sure it's not a virus of yours? Sometimes random extensions does that.
No it only happens on Hiveworkshop. Maybe its a local thing and only happens in germany?

I will screenshot the ads in question once I see them again. It seems to happen only once per session.

Level 7
No it only happens on Hiveworkshop. Maybe its a local thing and only happens in germany?

I will screenshot the ads in question once I see them again. It seems to happen only once per session.
Yeah, ads are local. For instance, my ads are in pt-BR because I'm a brazillian. Yours should probably be in deutsch.

Level 7
Okay, so update on this: It is not a pop-up in the way that you can inspect it, its more like a completely new page that opens in the same browser tab, including a new web adress. Do you still need a link?
Ok, that really sounds like somekind of virus to me. I know you're saying it only happens on hive, but I've never saw any ad do that (at least not a real one, the baddy shitty ones actually do, but thats intended behaviour).

Level 19
I actually had the same problem, posted a thread and Rally told me to copy the address link.

I went back on hive just hoping the ad came back so I could nail it and report to Rally, but it never showed up again.

my ad was from Alibaba express

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Well at least I tried to...

Apparently the ad company would like to know [...]
With my previous post I wanted to point out, there might be more than one ad company involved.

** update **

@Ralle: fyi, using Ghostery and Pale Moon 26.5.0, I currently see references to:
- Admeta
- Advertising.com
- AppNexus
- BidSwitch
- Google Analytics
- Google Publisher Tags
- Sonobi

Rhythmone Beacon joined the party.

@Ralle: Ghostery might help solve this issue.

For each item detected by Ghostery, I am providing additional (hopefully useful) info from gcache.ghostery.com:
- Admeta
- Advertising.com
- AppNexus (plus here also)
- BidSwitch (plus here also)
- Google Analytics
- Google Publisher Tags (plus here also)
- Rhythmone Beacon (plus here also)
- Sonobi (plus also here) (and here also)

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Level 19
Lol!

I see I sent a message to @wrath bringer in Afrikaans, and now all the ads have been changed to the same language. I think it is hopelessly funny because now I can't understand anything, but on a more serious note I feel it is an invasion of our privacy. It means that somehow the ads are reading our messages to market to us what we speak about.

Here's a link to the first ad I noticed, https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/sadbundle/$csp=er3$/10323331040753257045/index.html

Google has been noted in the past for reading peoples emails in order curve their marketing strategy.

*Update*

Another site from google
Vikings: War of Clans

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I can totally understand it but if I get very inappropriate ads and screamers I have to use hyper methods myself.
I completely understand. This is why I pay so much attention to this thread. I don't want the site to serve ads that ruin people's experiences. I don't want to visit sites that throw big fat annoying popups. If you find this on the site, please copy the link you came from, any link from the ad and so on to help us find out who brought this illegal ad.
Yeah, I recently took Hive off of AdBlock Plus when I realized you guys needed it.
That's awesome.

Reactions: pyf
I completely understand. This is why I pay so much attention to this thread. I don't want the site to serve ads that ruin people's experiences. I don't want to visit sites that throw big fat annoying popups. If you find this on the site, please copy the link you came from, any link from the ad and so on to help us find out who brought this illegal ad.

That's awesome.

Sure thing.

Level 22
Status
Not open for further replies.