• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

NeoDex 2.7 Wc3 Modeling Kit for 3dsmax & GMAX

Level 16
Try extracting a model from the game and import/export it.

Also I need certain info: which 3ds max version are you using.

EDIT: I've looked into the model and it appears to be buggy for NeoDex. I'm not sure what can be causing it.

EDIT 2: Seems like an exporter problem (the importer looks fine), try downgrading to NeoDex 2.65, 2.61 or 2.6.

As I said I use 3ds Max 2014 Student Version and latest version of NeoDex, I will try using the older ones and see what's the problem.

Andreich is reporting the same problem as me, meaning it exports animations fine, but half of the vertexes are no longer attached to the bones, I can record a whole video of it if you want, and I think I should, as seeing the problem > reading about the problem.

As I said I use 3ds Max 2014 Student Version and latest version of NeoDex, I will try using the older ones and see what's the problem.

Andreich is reporting the same problem as me, meaning it exports animations fine, but half of the vertexes are no longer attached to the bones, I can record a whole video of it if you want, and I think I should, as seeing the problem > reading about the problem.

yep appears to be a problem with geometry. I'll remake the geometry algorithm soon.

no, exported directly to .fbx...

im trying now to get animation right and don't care about materials\textures...
can it cause problems..?

before export i select mesh, go to modifier panel and add "mesh select" (without doing this neodex wont export mesh at all)
to be honest i never worked with 3dsmax... is there a right way to do this..?

are you talking about setting note in track sheet..?

use .obj instead of .fbx is what I'm saying.

yeah but that fbx used quads for some weird reason.

yep track sheet.

Level 20
Hey there Blinkboy! I'm having some issues with NeoDex for Max 2014 64 bit, trying to export to WC3.

When exporting my mesh on its own, it works perfectly fine, however as soon as I add a bone into the scene I get errors trying to import the model into for example War3 Model Editor v1.07, it reports the error ''Unknown tag "" in Node!''

I have no clue what this is refering to, but at first I wasn't using notes for export, I went through a tutorial and added notes for a small testing animation using only 2 bones. However now NeoDex does not seem to pick up on the fact that I HAVE added notes.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong here?

NeoDexProblem.png

Level 39
This probably wont work, but I remember having some similar issues when opening recently exported models in Magos. I solved it by converting the model to mdl and then back to mdx. Then I could open it in Magos just fine. No idea why.

As I said, it probably wont work for you but it's worth a try I guess.

Level 29
It means your node contains an invalid tracks chunk for some reason with an empty name, hence "" (where valid node tracks are KGTR, KGSC, and KGRT, for translation, scaling, and rotation, respectively).
I don't know why NeoDex exported it, but if you can save your model as mdl, you can find this invalid chunk and delete it.

Level 20
Oh, hm alright well I can't find anything in the Dopesheet that looks wrong, then again I've never really worked with dopesheets before, any clue how I could fix this inside of max itself?

Okay so after having done some more testing I've managed to get the dopesheet thing working, the only error my mesh has now is the unbalanced weights problems, this is the entire error log.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Weights
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// The next objects have unbalanced weights,
// they may be wrongly animated.
// Box001

Now I figured that wouldn't be much of a problem, as it was a new model, just a cube that I skinned to two bones to learn how to export stuff properly, completely clean scene. HOWEVER! When importing to War3 Model Editor I am still getting that exact same Unkown tag "" in Node! Error, if it isn't related to my dopesheet then I have no idea what is happening here.

Also, Tauer, your MDL conversion trick seems to be working!

Using the MDLX converter and turning it into an MDL instead of MDX now lets me import the mesh and view the animation, although all my inbetween keys seem to be missing, does Neodex not bake animation?

EDIT: So my mind is absolutely blown, after having converted the model to MDL instead of MDX, I once again tried to load the MDX, it now loads into the viewer, I export the MDX a new from max, and BAM, it actually loads, I made no other changes to the max scene inbetween it working and not working.

The only thing that is not functioning now is that my animations do not interpolate between the keys, instead the animations just snap to the keys making it look like a stop-motion mess.
It is also not registering rotations correctly.

Last edited:
Level 29
Your interpolation type is set to None instead of an actual type (Linear, Bezier, Hermite).

Can't say anything about the rotations without seeing data, but if you have keys with a 180 degree difference between them, split them to multiple keys instead. Quaternion interpolation is not deterministic when you have 180 degrees (more than one solution).

About the unknown tag, like I said, if you can export to MDL, which you apparently can, then search for this empty tag and see what it actually is.

Level 20
I'm using the default controllers, I read up that I should be using Bezier and as I clicked into the controllers it seems that they're set to Bezier by default.
Bezier float to be precise, but as I clicked add more controllers there were nothing that simply said Bezier, not sure if these have been removed from newer verisions of max or if I'm just being blind.

controller.png

Last edited:
Level 20
Theeeeere we freakin' go, alright cool! Thanks a ton Tauer, now the only problem left is the unbalanced weights, which quite honestly I have no clue what they even mean, I have 1 single bone in my test mesh so I don't understand how anything could be unbalanced.

The weights are deffo freaking out though, most anims look fine, but the looping stand animation has some of the upper verts snapping around for some reason.

Last edited:
Level 39
Awesome ;)
About the weights, have you tried removing zero weights from your skin? You can do this in the Weight Table. It does seem weird that they would be unbalanced with only 1 bone.
Try checking out BlinkBoys animation tutorial. Very useful for rigging. Maybe try checking all the vertices in the Weight Table and see if all of them are set to 1.0.

Level 20
Oooooh my lord that seems to have done it, it's been AGES since I had to remove any zero weights so it completely passed over my head, unreal engine spoils me. Thanks again Tauer, savin' the day! I've gone through the animation tutorial a few times but I couldn't find any answers to the problems I was having due to differences in the user interface from modern verisions and all that. But now I am exporting with zero errors in the log, cheers mate!

Level 20
So the node problem is back, I've managed to track it down to my actual keyframes, I set up a notetrack specifying where my animations are, without actually adding keyframes, I export, everything works fine, I import to War3 model editor and the animation track is there and the model loads perfectly fine. HOWEVER, if I now add a keyframe inside that animation to make the model actually move, the note error suddenly appears again. I wasn't getting this error with my test box but with my rigged character it suddenly appears.

What am I doing wrong to cause the keyframes themselves to screw up the tracks?

I should also mention that after converting the exported MDX to an MDL, everything works 100 %

Level 39
I just tried exporting my Durotan model again, and I get the same node error as you do when I open it in Magos. It's easily fixed by first converting it to mdl and then converting the mdl back to mdx, for me. I'm thinking it has to do with Max version. I used to use 2013 and I never got this error. Lately I've been using 2014 and now I do. What version are you using?

I have no idea what exactly causes it, but if converting to mdl fixes it, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. There are a lot worse exporting errors to deal with, trust me :p

Then again, I might be wrong and there might be a very simple fix for it inside Max.

Level 39
Okay, I just tried rigging a box and animating it, then exporting it in 2014. I didn't get the error :/
I really have no idea then. For my Durotan model I think I just did the convert-reconvert every time I exported.

Anyway, you have to convert the mdl back to mdx, since the mdx format is what you actually import into the Warcraft 3 engine. Do you still get the error if you convert the mdl back to mdx?

If so you might need someone who knows more about this than I do to fix this, like BlinkBoy himself. The convert-reconvert workaround is all I got.

Level 20
Aaand here we go again! Feel like a total bummer by spamming this stuff, but the exports keep failing. After having exported the model with two bones and getting it to work, I got to work on building the actual rig, now when attempting to export it, this happens.

I have absolutely no clue what this error means.

After playing around a bit more, it looks like this is caused by having more than 2 bones skinned to my mesh, if I take my root join and ONLY skin the mesh to that, it exports fine, however as soon as I add 1 more bone from my rig into the skin, the export breaks.

bummer.png

EDIT: Managed to fix this one, it turns out that after chain linking bones to eachother and freezing the transforms max changes the controllers to Position controllers, so I had to go through every bone again and change it to TCB.

Last edited:
Level 20
Alright so I'm back again with some more issues, after alot of struggling with animating my model the way I would like to, I have deleted all my animations and gone back to the rigging phase.

There are however three things that I am not entirely sure of how to set up, so I'm building a control rig right and want to be able to independantly control the weapon of my character, aswell as the hat he is wearing, yet of course I still need to be able to link these objects to the characters body. Normaly I would simpl do this through a link constraint but as they are not supported I have no clue how I would set this up.

Secondly I'm having some issues with my IK, I'm using the standard hi-solver and it's working great for the leg movements, however normaly I would be able to grab the characters pelvis bone and move it around after having asigned IK's to the legs, this is not the case when using TCB controllers, the only way to get that behaviour is to move the root bone instead which seems like a bad work around.

Then there is also the problem of making a control rig for other body parts, since we can not use the link constraint, how would I go about doing this properly?

In this tutorial it seems that all constraints are supposed to be supported.
Happy Animating with IK

Level 39
Neodex fully supports linking bones using the Select and Link tool, so I can't see why there would be any problems with that? Any particular reason you use link constraint instead of just linking them with the link tool?

I also don't have an issue moving the pelvis bone using IK, but I use IK Limb not Hi-solver. Maybe try using that instead? Anyway I actually normally move the root bone instead of the pelvis myself, dunno why. Just a preference I guess.

About constraints:

NeoDex since version 2.3 can export IK systems naturally. It does not, however, support all the constraints and Ik Solvers.

NeoDex Supports:

• IK Solvers:
    • HI Solver.
    • Limb IK Solver.
    • SplineIK Solver.
  • Constraints:
    • Orientation Constraint.
    • Look-at Constraint.

From the Animating with IK tutorial.

Last edited:
Level 39
Ah, got it. Yeah this isn't supported far as I know. In WC3 these effects (like dropping a weapon) are usually achieved by having a copy of the geoset linked to its own bone and then animating the visibility. This can be used to mimic de-linking animations. A hassle for sure, but the only way this is possible in WC3 as far as I know.

Wanna ask, By any chance if I animate the model in Blender/Maya and import with .fbx or .dae format to 3DS MAX with neodex able to export properly into warcraft model? I have not started yet but due to what i am going to learn in college and my personal love to blender, most probably I'm going to use Maya and blender for most 3D work...

or the converting the setting is too painful that it is better to just reanimate in 3DS Max?

Level 15
I can't find the download link. The post is so long and has too many links >.<
Can you put the download link on top of the post??
here : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/attachments/neodex-2-7-zip.145229/

Wanna ask, By any chance if I animate the model in Blender/Maya and import with .fbx or .dae format to 3DS MAX with neodex able to export properly into warcraft model? I have not started yet but due to what i am going to learn in college and my personal love to blender, most probably I'm going to use Maya and blender for most 3D work...

or the converting the setting is too painful that it is better to just reanimate in 3DS Max?
based from my knowledge* about 3d tool, it will work
*my knowledge is 0
edit:
i make some experiment:
1. inport a fbx from game rip, and export t, cant open the mdx
2. same, i delete all bones, abled to export and open it
3. inpoert a mdx, export as fbx, and inport the fbx, then export ad mdx, cant open the file.
also, all of my fbx will make leyframes on each frames

Last edited:
Level 2
I FIX IT!

Just rename Dictionary to noDictionary in code, and it works in 2017 3ds max. (but need reinstall neodex after this changes)

:D

karauluv,

can you help me a problem you fixed ?

i want fix this plugin for 3ds max 2017 but i couldt understand this

"Just rename Dictionary to noDictionary in code, and it works in 2017 3ds max. (but need reinstall neodex after this changes)"

how can i do this??