• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need mapmakers for Sandbox map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I don't have time to work on maps anymore, but I still want to make the ultimate sandbox map for Warcraft 3. I'm wondering if anyone can pull it off by spending some off time helping me out. It's nothing too difficult, but it will be big and involve a lot of models.
When I have more time in this thread I'll go into more detail about what I want, but I'd rather not micromanage the creative aspects, especially before I know if anyone is even interested.
So, if you're interested let me know what you're willing to do.

Level 5
I never said I don't have time to play, the fact is I'd rather not spend that time making the toy which I'd rather be playing with.

Having done this years ago, I know how time consuming it is. I've had to quit modding games and greatly reduce the number of hours playing them in order to make a decent wage since I couldn't continue barely passing through college.

So now I spend most my time working with programs for the sake of work, but I still enjoy what I've already invested so much time in before.

I've been playing some old games that can run on my Macbook. My only computer which I need primarily for productive reasons. Well, now I want to play a sandbox map, but I can't buy it the way I want it. I'd have to make it, but that would mean sacrificing my free time.

I can't set much money aside, but I'd be willing to pay what it'd cost me to buy a new game every month if someone's up to the task. In the meantime I have Netflix and good old Heroes of Might and Magic from the long gone 3DO and New World Computing. Still, I'd rather play around with a sand box map, but not if I have to invest so much godamn time into it again.

Level 12
StormyG7, it is understandable that you don't have much time anymore since you got a job now. Everyone who is here for years eventually gets to that. But these days you normally don't get map makers. Especially not if you just say "create this awesome map for me while I only provide the idea". If they are still making maps they're making their own.

If you plan to compensate the people working on this, you should specifiy this here. Some pupil or student might be interested if he can earn pocket money.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Just a hint, the 'best' sandbox for Warcraft modding would not be a map, but ( a MPQ containing) custom files injected into the default Warcraft MPQ.

Level 25
I'm just wondering, what is the sandbox supposed to do?

Should it work like Garrys mod where you construct contraptions with props?
Or you want to have a melee game where you can specifiy what units?
Etc?

Level 5
I'm glad you asked. First, I know I should have been more candid about my willingness to pay for someone else to make the map, but I was hoping someone would ask about the idea and maybe be interested enough to make it happen for fun.

The Sandbox I had in mind is a large map around 556x556 made for 1 player who controls about 20 separate players and their units. I got the idea when I made a trigger that gave me full shared unit control of all the players with no AI even though they were on opposing teams. Everything is free and there is no need to gather resources or any challenge. When I did this before I had triggers that were initiated via the chat bar which allowed me to set the time of day and change the factions of any units selected. Spells and abilities costed no mana and had unlimited range. Each unit could level up like a hero to a max of level 200.
The map itself was designed to have each player be a different race or nation within a fantasy kingdom with their respective color. Orcs, Humans, Dwarves, High Elves, Blood Elves, Demons, etc. etc.
This go around I was hoping to be able to make a trigger which would allow me to modify aliances via the chatbar commands (while maintaining full control of all the teams) and being able to change the default interface/music to the Orc/Nightelf/Human/Undead theme or a custom theme.

That's the idea, if there are any takers I can't pay much more than I would for new entertainment or extra junk food every month or two. If no one can make it for me I'd rather just spend my free time playing Heroes 4 or Mount and Blade Warband because it took me a massive amount of time to make this in the past and it will take me longer now that I've forgotten so much about it and am doing it on a Mac I use for movies and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.