• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My First Terrain ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
My First Terrain

My first terrain :ogre_hurrhurr:
Any suggestions? Finally now i know how to make reflections.

Special Thanks to
Fladdermasken - Tutorial
TobyFat - Models

11liog5.png

Last edited:
Level 30
Oh my god, this should belong to one of the Legendary Terrains, mind telling me what model did you used for those mountains in the background and how you did make those reflections. This deserves 6/5 and +4 REP of course!

Level 34
I think some sort of cloud or mist on the mountains would be a nice touch. Also the reflections in the water.

It's a really good terrain though.

Level 10
i really like the mountains in the back!

the village looks nice, but i think the lighthouse doesnt work (with the huge glass panels)
and some of snow looks to bright.

but as a "first" terrain, its pretty fuckin epic.

i used cliffs and 5 doodads as first terrain :p

Level 6
Overall a very detailed and good work.
You should however consider to add some eerie fog or fog in general at the mountains, to create the feeling of some lower hanging clouds covering the moon slightly.
These reflections look great, the Lighttower kinda feels misplaced though, because it's significantly lower quality than the rest.

Level 34
Oh, side note. Instead of using the Game Camera Setting, simply remove grid, and enable fog, sky, and whatever else might not be enabled. The writing is ugly.

Level 34
You might be able to simulate fog using glow. It would be nice to have some, since it helps a ton with depth.

Level 36
You might wanna reflect all the lights, i.e. the moon, the lit houses and the torches on the wharf.

I think some sort of cloud or mist on the mountains would be a nice touch. Also the reflections in the water.

It's a really good terrain though.

Aside from these great reviewers (keep them close and listen!) I've not got an awful lot more to add. I really just wanted to say that this is one of the better terrains I've seen submitted recently.

You should definitively either reflect everything or nothing, don't take shortcuts, always do your best effort whenever you do a terrain. It's all about spending quality time with your little piece of art.

And I completely agree with Gilles, that sky looks awfully stretched and out of place, using smaller versions of the cloudspheres 1, 2 and 3, makes for much better clouds, you could even experiment with tilting them.
Also, adding stars behind the clouds always make for a nice effect, personally I like using the "Stars" doodad and scale it up outrageously, then spread some of them irregularly behind the clouds, sure it doesn't look very realistic when putting them up there, what with all them stars moving around like crazy, but if done correctly they will make for a very natural looking dotted sky. Their movement make it look less symmetrical, and we all know that a starry sky is nowhere near symmetrical.

I'd also love to see some fog, and another two or even three layers of mountains in the background, you should always use fog and mountains to make the horizon of your terrain transcend and smoothly merge with the sky, in a natural manner.

There's probably more I want to say, but I'm a bit short on time here so that'll be it from me for now. Hopefully, my suggestions might be of some help.

Aside from these great reviewers (keep them close and listen!) I've not got an awful lot more to add. I really just wanted to say that this is one of the better terrains I've seen submitted recently.

You should definitively either reflect everything or nothing, don't take shortcuts, always do your best effort whenever you do a terrain. It's all about spending quality time with your little piece of art.

And I completely agree with Gilles, that sky looks awfully stretched and out of place, using smaller versions of the cloudspheres 1, 2 and 3, makes for much better clouds, you could even experiment with tilting them.
Also, adding stars behind the clouds always make for a nice effect, personally I like using the "Stars" doodad and scale it up outrageously, then spread some of them irregularly behind the clouds, sure it doesn't look very realistic when putting them up there, what with all them stars moving around like crazy, but if done correctly they will make for a very natural looking dotted sky. Their movement make it look less symmetrical, and we all know that a starry sky is nowhere near symmetrical.

I'd also love to see some fog, and another two or even three layers of mountains in the background, you should always use fog and mountains to make the horizon of your terrain transcend and smoothly merge with the sky, in a natural manner.

There's probably more I want to say, but I'm a bit short on time here so that'll be it from me for now. Hopefully, my suggestions might be of some help.
This is what im waiting . Oh yeah I really dont have experience before in adding ubercloud behind. About the Stars, im still finding a model of a star ( or maybe theres a model somewhere in my folders) . And , making fogs? oh thanks for telling that , i really want to know that and im really surprised that this pro terrainers tell me everything about terraining , Thank you guys , you all helped me so much.

Ill do an another try soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.