• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mod Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I'm not saying I disagree at all with real criticism. I'm just saying that the net has a need for a site without it, due to the number of people who do.

Where there is no real criticism, there is no growth.

I think The Hive could use some right now.

Level 14
PurplePoot said:
I'm not saying I disagree at all with real criticism. I'm just saying that the net has a need for a site without it, due to the number of people who do.
And as long as the staff and the site's most respected members believe this, no amount of discussion or persuasion will change it. C'est la vie.

Level 14
While that may be true, I don't think it's a reason to shy away from improving the current site, nor does the Hive have any obligation to be "that" site.

Find me one successful website that does that and we might consider it

Might

deviantART: where ART meets application!

Gallery directors get changed each year.

It works better there because there's such a huge userbase so there's always someone to fill the position. Here, however, I doubt that'd work because our userbase (the actual useable part) is much smaller.

Level 8
As I see it half of the active users of this site have, at some point, been moderator already.
Considering that, how could the regular users ever respect the mods here?

At wc3c on the other hand, all moderators have been doing their thing for years now. Therefore their opinions are highly valued and respected by all members.
So I guess what I'm saying is that you need less fluctuation and more long-term staffies, people who do it with dedication, not just for the title.
How to find those I don't know :(

With PurplePoot you had someone like that, but you managed to drive him away somehow ...

Level 12
So I guess what I'm saying is that you need less fluctuation and more long-term staffies, people who do it with dedication, not just for the title.

In the last few days lingering in chat during my free time at work, to ask a few questions about memory space I'd been wanting answered, I found out a lot about The Hive's staff and userbase. A few things I found really made everything so much clearer.

The Hive's active users and staff are mostly teenagers(there are a few I have not asked)-- Not older gents like myself, but 14-18 year old kids in high school. While you folks of that age group may not have come to understand it yet, the teenage years are the most volatile and a time where hormones run rampant. Because of this, kids of that age lash out, argue, fight for no reason, take major offense to the lightest of jokes, try to prove they're better than others, claim their dominant place in groups, or even make stupid decisions under the false assumption that they're right simply because they think they are.

I've witnessed stupid commenting, pointless arguing, fight picking, and all sorts of angsty teenage displays throughout. By both new users, active users, and moderators.

The rate of which teenage e-peen is being thrown around here is absolutely disgusting. And I hope everyone, as well as Ralle, can step back from everything and think about how what I've said pans out. Because if I'm not mistaken in my observations, they hold a large share in the events that have unfolded here and in the events to come.

In the last few days lingering in chat during my free time at work, to ask a few questions about memory space I'd been wanting answered, I found out a lot about The Hive's staff and userbase. A few things I found really made everything so much clearer.

The Hive's active users and staff are mostly teenagers(there are a few I have not asked)-- Not older gents like myself, but 14-18 year old kids in high school. While you folks of that age group may not have come to understand it yet, the teenage years are the most volatile and a time where hormones run rampant. Because of this, kids of that age lash out, argue, fight for no reason, take major offense to the lightest of jokes, try to prove they're better than others, claim their dominant place in groups, or even make stupid decisions under the false assumption that they're right simply because they think they are.

I've witnessed stupid commenting, pointless arguing, fight picking, and all sorts of angsty teenage displays throughout. By both new users, active users, and moderators.

The rate of which teenage e-peen is being thrown around here is absolutely disgusting. And I hope everyone, as well as Ralle, can step back from everything and think about how what I've said pans out. Because if I'm not mistaken in my observations, they hold a large share in the events that have unfolded here and in the events to come.

True.

Level 36

Fuck you, cunt! WHAR IS YOUR E-PEEN NAOW!?!?!!!?!

Honestly, I see adults act like twats on the internet all the time, and then I see kids that know nothing but respect and serious business. There are examples of both on this website. Not everyone is a statistic, especially on the internet.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I've got to agree with brad. Don't put them all on a single bag.
While most of what you said is true, your attitude towards my action of negative-repping you was immature, considering how insignificant both the 2 negative points you received and the reputation system itself are.

Level 14
While rep may not matter, negrep matters a lot. To get red rep is akin to being blacklisted for a lot of people because it makes people think twice about helping you and so forth. Besides, it's really true what Vega said for a vast majority of the population here (Just check the profiles). Even if it isn't the case for everyone, the majority still condemns the rest. That isn't to say that we should stereotype everyone, since we shouldn't, but there's certainly a predisposition to be had towards certain age groups and a large chunk of the Hive's populace.

On an almost unrelated note, why is Brad only a community moderator and Ghan the community director? If anything, Brad's way more qualified for the position and way more respectable/active/useful, excluding his random outbursts of asininity. *Cough!* :p

While rep may not matter, negrep matters a lot. To get red rep is akin to being blacklisted for a lot of people because it makes people think twice about helping you and so forth. Besides, it's really true what Vega said for a vast majority of the population here (Just check the profiles). Even if it isn't the case for everyone, the majority still condemns the rest. That isn't to say that we should stereotype everyone, since we shouldn't, but there's certainly a predisposition to be had towards certain age groups and a large chunk of the Hive's populace.
Although that may be true on wc3c, the vast majority of the time on the hive whenever someone's negrepped, someone else just +reps them to cancel it out.

We're working on making some concrete rules which disallow that...

On an almost unrelated note, why is Brad only a community moderator and Ghan the community director? If anything, Brad's way more qualified for the position and way more respectable/active/useful, excluding his random outbursts of asininity. *Cough!* :p
We know.

Level 26

Your generalization is indeed correct. Teenagers are often angry, angsty, volatile, and "high-strung". The problem is, for reasons unknown to me, it seems to be becoming increasingly hard to find users on this site who aren't underage. Maybe someday, when Wolverabid and Darky come back, we could all renovate this site so that proper, mature, Adult moderators could come and replace all of us.

Level 24
I'd just like to mention again, that Moderation should not be visible unless the rules have been broken. And even then, you should only be able to tell because the problem is gone. The offender should be notified personally, and punishment dealt. There should be no, "open moderator warfare", and rarely and reason to make it visible to the public. The exception is that if there is a specific thread that multiple people are abusing, then they should either be warned, punished or the thread closed.

EDIT: Also, the teenager this is some times correct and sometimes not. I've seen a lot of crap from people that (claim) to be adults and some good stuff from younger people as well.

Level 14
Pyritie said:
Although that may be true on wc3c, the vast majority of the time on the hive whenever someone's negrepped, someone else just +reps them to cancel it out.
Well, that's unfortunate. There are other, higher-priority things to be worrying about with the site than rep, though. It's no biggie. :)

Level 24
Dat's a lie. Repzorz are the world silly. Dontcha' know?

But really, neg rep infractions are so usless once you get more than . . . 10 rep. No one notices or cares. If you have no rep and get neg-repped everyone thinks your breaking the rules more than everyone else.

Level 12
The 'examples' you speak of, Brad, are few and far between; more so now, since the few I haven't talked seem to not want to discuss what's been said, only attack my character, or make broad generalizations that don't hold true to the topic at hand.

I've got to agree with brad. Don't put them all on a single bag.
While most of what you said is true, your attitude towards my action of negative-repping you was immature, considering how insignificant both the 2 negative points you received and the reputation system itself are.

I think you both missed this gem: 'The Hive's active users and staff are mostly teenagers(there are a few I have not asked)'

And while you agree that 'most of what what I said is true', you simultaneously feel the need to bring up an unrelated irrelevant past event trying to discredit me? It is cheap and childish that you can sit there and try to point your finger at what I thought, and still think, was undeserved negative reputation, implying that it might void the opinion I may have on the matter in this topic(where it is quite irrelevant).

And might I ask, Rui, what part of my post was not true?

Level 36
Yeah, really. Plus, people may just act like a twat around you because you are a twat. Think about how you (and/or) the environment you're in influence the way people behave before judging them.

If someone makes some most disparaging remarks about my mother, I'd be inclined to take them up on it. If they were drunk, the same rules would not apply.

There's this thing, a skill mayhaps, called 'Trolling'. The act of trolling is simply making ignorant and highly objectional comments which bait a user into flying off the handle at you. Now, when being trolled, people can become rediculously angry and make many remarks that they perhaps would not have said otherwise.

It's stuff like that that you have to take into account before mindlessly judging the vast majority of our users.

Level 36
As I see it half of the active users of this site have, at some point, been moderator already.
Considering that, how could the regular users ever respect the mods here?

At wc3c on the other hand, all moderators have been doing their thing for years now. Therefore their opinions are highly valued and respected by all members.
How to find those I don't know :(

With PurplePoot you had someone like that, but you managed to drive him away somehow ...

We have Mecheon, Rui, Samuraid, brad.dude03, and VGsatomi

Level 8
Brad is correct. Take me for example. I know how every on talks about how I "Overeact", but look at most of the situatons, I am pissed a someone else. I'm normally a dick, but I don't yell and flame people unless they piss me off. I could give names, but this is not a snitch forum, so I will end with that.

Level 12
Yeah, really. Plus, people may just act like a twat around you because you are a twat. Think about how you (and/or) the environment you're in influence the way people behave before judging them.

If someone makes some most disparaging remarks about my mother, I'd be inclined to take them up on it. If they were drunk, the same rules would not apply.

There's this thing, a skill mayhaps, called 'Trolling'. The act of trolling is simply making ignorant and highly objectionable comments which bait a user into flying off the handle at you. Now, when being trolled, people can become ridiculously angry and make many remarks that they perhaps would not have said otherwise.

It's stuff like that that you have to take into account before mindlessly judging the vast majority of our users.

The fact I made was that teenagers lack experience, and even if they may have a cool head or fair understanding of certain matters, they are all slaves to their innate teenage hormones-- the likes of which cause pointless fighting, arguing, etc, the list goes on.

You should read what you write before you post it, lest you sound stupid, because by your definition of trolling, you're trolling. You're making an 'ignorant and highly objectionable' response by using a sweeping generalization about the entire internet/human race, which isn't even about the topic at hand.

Level 14
The fact I made was that teenagers lack experience, and even if they may have a cool head or fair understanding of certain matters, they are all slaves to their innate teenage hormones-- the likes of which cause pointless fighting, arguing, etc, the list goes on.

Having spent most of the last week speaking almost exclusively to teenagers of vastly superior intellect to the majority of the population...no. Just no.

We are not slaves to our innate teenage hormones any more than you are to your evolutionary imbued sense of fear at the younger generation.

Level 12
Having spent most of the last week speaking almost exclusively to teenagers of vastly superior intellect to the majority of the population...no. Just no.

We are not slaves to our innate teenage hormones any more than you are to your evolutionary imbued sense of fear at the younger generation.

Good argument.

If you really wish to be perceived as someone of vastly superior intellect, why not simply display the fact, rather than proclaim it? A phrase involving the words bark and bite comes to mind. And while you seem to have trouble understanding it, the 'majority of the population' did not receive the same standard of education the youth of today have, so it's no mystery as to why they're not as intellectually inclined.

Just as the old man cannot stop growing older, the teenager cannot stop just the same.

Perhaps the next time you respond, you will give it a little more thought.

Level 15
You judge teenagers because of hormones? Okay, well, why would you pick an adult? They'd be busy working all of the time unless they have some cubicle job where they can just sit on the internet all day (like Office Space, well TPS reports first of course).

I think you just need to shutup about things you don't know. Especially when you make blanket statements like "all teenagers have hormones and that's the problem with them" and then you dis-credit someone else for making other blanket statements.

newb

Level 12
You judge teenagers because of hormones? Okay, well, why would you pick an adult? They'd be busy working all of the time unless they have some cubicle job where they can just sit on the internet all day (like Office Space, well TPS reports first of course).

I think you just need to shutup about things you don't know. Especially when you make blanket statements like "all teenagers have hormones and that's the problem with them" and then you dis-credit someone else for making other blanket statements.

newb

I observed behaviors within a group and explained the common cause linking that behavior together.

To answer your question: I do not primarily judge based on age, but how a person acts. Certain ages have corresponding faults, and should a person of a certain age group show it- it likely may be because of their corresponding age. Such as your response to mine. Such as children begin pretending, teenagers go through puberty, and old men start to forget.

I understand why you're reacting this way, but here's a tip: When you want to argue against what I've said- you argue against what I've said- not how I've said it, how old I am, or your misconceptions of both. If you truly believe what I've said is wrong- then prove it.

Level 14
I think Griffen's mistaken here. Of course there are examples of teenagers that are brilliant, more so than any of us, but that doesn't make them the majority. On the whole, the teenage population is stricken with angst, as observed by people who make it their careers to do so.

Not that what teenagers on the whole are like matters in the least to moderators, but I felt like contributing. :)

Level 17
I seriously hope you are not implying that the solution to this problem is to replace the entire teenage portion of the staff with adults.

Call me ill informed, but I doubt that would work. I seriously do not see the dominant age group as the main problem in this situation.

Level 14
Good argument.

If you really wish to be perceived as someone of vastly superior intellect, why not simply display the fact, rather than proclaim it? A phrase involving the words bark and bite comes to mind. And while you seem to have trouble understanding it, the 'majority of the population' did not receive the same standard of education the youth of today have, so it's no mystery as to why they're not as intellectually inclined.

Just as the old man cannot stop growing older, the teenager cannot stop just the same.

Perhaps the next time you respond, you will give it a little more thought.

My real actual education was largely done by other teenagers. Thanks to adults the UK school education system of today is in many ways crap compared to years ago. And no, you wouldn't be Oxford student level even if you had had an education of today.

I observed behaviors within a group and explained the common cause linking that behavior together.

Great, let's all go lock up black teenagers as criminal scum then...

To answer your question: I do not primarily judge based on age, but how a person acts. Certain ages have corresponding faults, and should a person of a certain age group show it- it likely may be because of their corresponding age. Such as your response to mine. Such as children begin pretending, teenagers go through puberty, and old men start to forget.

This is the internet, your prejudices and collective punishment have no place in it.

I understand why you're reacting this way, but here's a tip: When you want to argue against what I've said- you argue against what I've said- not how I've said it, how old I am, or your misconceptions of both. If you truly believe what I've said is wrong- then prove it.

You know what happens when people start presuming things about people because of what others did? Injustice. When we treat one person differently because of the actions of another, injustice is taking place, as they are not receiving their dessert, but someone else's.

I think Griffen's mistaken here. Of course there are examples of teenagers that are brilliant, more so than any of us, but that doesn't make them the majority.

Depends on where you are. For me, it be true.

Level 12
I seriously hope you are not implying that the solution to this problem is to replace the entire teenage portion of the staff with adults.

Call me ill informed, but I doubt that would work. I seriously do not see the dominant age group as the main problem in this situation.

It's not about a dominant age group, it's about the traits of that age group that are shown to be a chaotic constant throughout their years in it. This isn't some assumption, presumption or anything near the like- this is widely accepted fact. Teenagers are teenagers, and you couldn't stop them from being teenagers, even if you tried. Hence, problems with moderation, or idiots posting rubbish under their own personal ruse of brilliance, or wrongful defense.

Great, let's all go lock up black teenagers as criminal scum then...

This is the internet, your prejudices and collective punishment have no place in it.

Hahaha, what?

Level 14
It's not about a dominant age group, it's about the traits of that age group that are shown to be a chaotic constant throughout their years in it. This isn't some assumption, presumption or anything near the like- this is widely accepted fact. Teenagers are teenagers, and you couldn't stop them from being teenagers, even if you tried. Hence, problems with moderation, or idiots posting rubbish under their own personal ruse of brilliance, or wrongful defense.

It was a widely accepted fact in Germany that Jews were inferior. So that makes it true? No. So stop trying to argue from "everyone knows that..." - it's the refuge of hate mongerers the world over.

That you think you can't stop teenagers being teenagers is just so laughable. Really, go learn some history. Teenager as anything other than an adult is a pretty new concept.

Do you even read your posts before you post them? Do you even read the posts you respond to before you reply to them? These are two key things you need to work on before you post again.

You need to work on making it logical.

Level 12
It was a widely accepted fact in Germany that Jews were inferior. So that makes it true? No. So stop trying to argue from "everyone knows that..." - it's the refuge of hate mongerers the world over.

That you think you can't stop teenagers being teenagers is just so laughable. Really, go learn some history. Teenager as anything other than an adult is a pretty new concept.

You need to work on making it logical.

Teenagers go through puberty, yes? What do teenagers have all throughout their years? An influx of hormones, that's right. Now, what do hormones do? Are you still not following, Oxford?

Pump anyone full of testosterone and they will be more aggressive and exhibit the traits I have stated previously. You cannot prove me wrong.

Level 14
Teenagers go through puberty, yes? What do teenagers have all throughout their years? An influx of hormones, that's right. Now, what do hormones do? Are you still not following, Oxford?

Pump anyone full of testosterone and they will be more aggressive and exhibit the traits I have stated previously. You cannot prove me wrong.

Just because you're nothing more than a wild beast, incapable of overcoming your evolutionary instincts, doesn't mean you should tar everyone else with your own failings.

Man is more than beast.

Level 26
I could make a rather well-made essay about how communism is playing a detrimental factor to this site, and it wouldn't really matter if no one actually presents a viable solution.

So there are too many teenage moderators. Well-mannered, mature adults who frequent this site and are willing to become moderators aren't tripped over every day, and having teenage moderators is arguably better than having no moderators at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.