• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #8 ~ Dungeon

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

Dungeon-Siege-3-Artwork.jpg

Dungeon
Contestants are challenged to make a dungeon map:
The dungeon map is not required to include a Boss Battle, you are free to use other challenges such as solving puzzles, ambushes, gauntlets etc.
The player must be controlling a single/(multiple) hero(es) and trying to complete an objective, for example escape a dungeon, or kill a creature in the dungeon, etc.
You can also be paired with another user! (OPTIONAL)

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png
  • Your map may not be made with WE Unlimited (JNGP is allowed)
  • The map may not be protected!
  • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png
  • Asomath
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Checking FieldExplanationPoints

Originality:
Unique features will raise your amount of points, you can also get points if you build on an already existing idea, but you get creative and really improve that idea.You can score up to 25 points here.
Terrain: Make sure the dungeon is very atmospheric, it is recommended that you make it really dark and foggy and very mysterious, but if you have any better ideas, go for it, but the most common idea is always a dark&dangerous dungeon. Take care of the details, rocks falling down, or maybe a prisoner escaping from his cell, animation in the environment also counts towards your points.You can score up to 20 points here.
Gameplay: The main aspect of the judging criteria - Whatever you do, originality doesn't matter in this point, you just have to manage to make the game fun to play, nothing repetitive, maybe side-objectives with a side-story, really hard puzzles, traps, etc.
Even if you get 0 points for originality, there's a slight chance that you'll still be able to get high points for gameplay.
You can score up to 35 points here.
Triggering: Small amount of leaks will not affect your points too much, however if none of your memory leaks are removed, then you will get a penalty. Does the game slow down too much because of inefficiency of some triggers or maybe too many memory leaks?You can score up to 10 points here.
Object Data/Map Presentation: The tooltips structure - Has the user spammed too many colors, is the text readable, does it contain the necessary information, etc.?
Also make sure the different units have the right shadow image size, the unit naming (no dummy names).
Has the user used active icons for usable spells and passive icons for passive/aura spells?
If he has edited the UI, has he done it properly and not messed up the rest of it? If you have not edited the UI then you will get neither negative nor positive points.
Are the selection circles of the different units modified?
Are the in-game messages informative, necessary, readable, not spammed, etc.
The spells a hero has should have icons with the same color gradient. (Not a blue icon, a green one, etc.)
You can score up to 10 points here.
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on X and conclude on X. (To start once the previous contest's results have been published)

Last edited:
Level 9
Time limits?

And what exactly is considered "mini"? how BIG can the map be (actual size? gameplay time? some limits?)

Level 14
If people don't mind the Boss Battle requirement, then its perfectly okay. But if a contributor wants to explore the dungeon theme in a different way, the requirement could always be changed to "unique dungeon challenges, such as puzzles, boss fights, and special events"

~Asomath

Level 25
Maps with a file size of 8MB and only 1 sound effect/music file are not acceptable. Also check if only a part of a song is used and if it has been cropped.

Huh?

Similar to the previous contest, it must contain a final boss battle, but this time it must be underground in a dungeon and can contain puzzles, etc.

What is this? We never agreed to underground only dungeon?
A dungeon can be a creepy castle/haunted tower/prison...

Do clarify, i specifically remember asking Tickles about the limitations of the dungeon theme, this didn't fall into question (underground only).

2 weeks is impossibly short period for a whole dungeon unless ofcorse you are unemployed and have all the summer time available....

Agreed, as a person who will have only 2-4 (maybe) hours a day it would make it impossible to make a good product. Make it 4 weeks and no extensions imo.

Alright time to clarify a few things:
A mistake on my behalf, it doesn't have to be underground, it just has to be a dungeon. I'll update the main post now.

And what exactly is considered "mini"? how BIG can the map be (actual size? gameplay time? some limits?)
Mini as in you don't have more than a month like a normal mapping contest. (Mapping contests are no longer held anyway, only mini ones since wc modding is dying)

It should be a requirement to submit the final product unprotected. I seem to recall some bruhaha last time about that.
->
The map may not be protected!

Also, when can we expect the contest to start?
If I don't get a word from the previous contest's judges in a week then I'll just start this.

The judging criteria is awful I know, I'm changing it right now.

Shall I make boss fights an optional thing then?

Also once again, this contest will only last 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Level 14
Yeah! Sounds like fun, since paired-mapping contests are hitting the gutter as well.

The current line makes it sound like you aren't allowed to have a boss. Perhaps: "The dungeon map is not required to include a Boss Battle, you are free to use other challenges such as solving puzzles, ambushes, gauntlets etc."

~Asomath

Level 25
Make a clear definition of what the dungeon should be and what it stands for.

Or at least guidelines.

I would contribute by my thoughts about the theme:

* The most of the gameplay should be set in an eerie enviroment
* The creators should aim to make the player have a feeling of being trapped or hunted
* The creators should make a submission which has the main aspects of the dungeon: fear, desparation, suffering, etc.
* Enclosed enviorment would contribute to a feeling of a dungeon
* A prison can be considered a dungeon

Edit:

Btw im glad Asomath is the judge.

Yeah I agree with all of the things you've said above, although some of them are obviously the definition of a dungeon, since a dungeon usually is dark.
I think we should also exclude some map genres: AoS, Cinematic, Footman Frenzy, TD.
Some genres I'm not quite sure of would be Melee and Altered Melee.
If someone makes an RPG and another guy makes a melee map, then obviously it's impossible to use the same judging criteria. Thus we should find either a main map genre for the contest or add some kind of specific objective to it. (For example: The protagonist is escaping from something and must reach the exit of the dungeon OR the protagonist is a "hero" who has come down here to solve a mystery/defeat a horrible creature/etc.)

edit: Also about the judging criteria: (I'd say this is mostly for a normal RPG/puzzle themed map where you control a single guy)
Originality: 25 Points
Terrain: 20 Points
Triggers: 10 Points
Object Data&Map Presentation: 10 Points
Gameplay: 35 Points

(Merged Object Data with Map Presentation)

Level 16
If someone could make a complete AoS in 4 weeks (a seemingly impossible task), and it fit the genre, I'd be totally interested to play it, especially considering it has to have a final boss.

Although I do believe a unifying genre should be established. I would lean more towards a hero who goes in to vanquish the boss, because it seems more fitting then running away, but that's just my 2 cents.

I guess I would be pairing up with someone else in this contest or else I would like to submit for being a judge instead, of course if that's fine with kael.
Of course if I where to pair up with someone I would be mostly doing terrain and some helping with the game-play. This way I could ~have the spare time I would want to keep on updating my older maps for an actual submission/Updation to the map section (hopefully ;D).

I would like to participate. Bossfight had many entries, and I hope this one will have just as many. Anyway, there is a suggestion I would like to make:
In the latest Modeling contest, every user will be awarded reputation even if he doesn't get to the top 3, but has met certain requirements. Or maybe based upon the judges' opinion, every user will get some rep. What do you think, guys?

EDIT: Is using systems you made before allowed? I mean, using approved spells and systems from Spells section was allowed, so I don't see a reason anyone couldn't use his/her own systems made before the official start of the contest.

Last edited:
Level 14
I would like to participate. Bossfight had many entries, and I hope this one will have just as many. Anyway, there is a suggestion I would like to make:
In the latest Modeling contest, every user will be awarded reputation even if he doesn't get to the top 3, but has met certain requirements. Or maybe based upon the judges' opinion, every user will get some rep. What do you think, guys?

EDIT: Is using systems you made before allowed? I mean, using approved spells and systems from Spells section was allowed, so I don't see a reason anyone couldn't use his/her own systems made before the official start of the contest.

The +rep to all users is good because we all spent many hours in making maps (or not ) but we do get some rep in the process of working anyway. Anyway who need rep anymore... its not like this community will be ressurected so you can be a beacon of light for knowledge and respect awarded due to some greenish circles under your avatar .

I will consider repping other contestants as long as they have more than a specific amount of points in the end.

So what type should be make this contest? Maybe a dungeon crawler where you control a hero and you have a specific objective? It could of course be multiple heroes that you could control.

Also pairing is officially allowed.
Is using systems you made before allowed? I mean, using approved spells and systems from Spells section was allowed, so I don't see a reason anyone couldn't use his/her own systems made before the official start of the contest.
No.

Theme updated:
Contestants are challenged to make a dungeon map:
The dungeon map is not required to include a Boss Battle, you are free to use other challenges such as solving puzzles, ambushes, gauntlets etc.
The player must be controlling a single/(multiple) hero(es) and trying to complete an objective, for example escape a dungeon, or kill a creature in the dungeon, etc.
You can also be paired with another user! (OPTIONAL)

If anybody with a good knowledge in the triggering department wants to partner I'm looking for one. I'm entering with the hopes of winning and want to put a lot of time into this to make it the best it can be, so I expect the same of my partner and only want to partner with someone who has the same mindset. I don't want to enter and make something mehh, I want to win.

I work as a producer and editor-in-chief as my real jobs so I know how to properly run things, which is why I will take charge of the general concept along with doing the terraining, while my partner would be in charge of the bulk of the coding as well as most of the object editor work. I'm tough to work with as I expect a lot from you, but if you're hard working and keep to schedule the end product should come out great.

^I definitely encourage people to work with this guy, he's one of the best around here.

Also the judging criteria has finally been updated:
Checking FieldExplanationPoints

Originality:
Unique features will raise your amount of points, you can also get points if you build on an already existing idea, but you get creative and really improve that idea.You can score up to 25 points here.
Terrain: Make sure the dungeon is very atmospheric, it is recommended that you make it really dark and foggy and very mysterious, but if you have any better ideas, go for it, but the most common idea is always a dark&dangerous dungeon. Take care of the details, rocks falling down, or maybe a prisoner escaping from his cell, animation in the environment also counts towards your points.You can score up to 20 points here.
Gameplay: The main aspect of the judging criteria - Whatever you do, originality doesn't matter in this point, you just have to manage to make the game fun to play, nothing repetitive, maybe side-objectives with a side-story, really hard puzzles, traps, etc.
Even if you get 0 points for originality, there's a slight chance that you'll still be able to get high points for gameplay.
You can score up to 35 points here.
Triggering: Small amount of leaks will not affect your points too much, however if none of your memory leaks are removed, then you will get a penalty. Does the game slow down too much because of inefficiency of some triggers or maybe too many memory leaks?You can score up to 10 points here.
Object Data/Map Presentation: The tooltips structure - Has the user spammed too many colors, is the text readable, does it contain the necessary information, etc.?
Also make sure the different units have the right shadow image size, the unit naming (no dummy names).
Has the user used active icons for usable spells and passive icons for passive/aura spells?
If he has edited the UI, has he done it properly and not messed up the rest of it? If you have not edited the UI then you will get neither negative nor positive points.
Are the selection circles of the different units modified?
Are the in-game messages informative, necessary, readable, not spammed, etc.
The spells a hero has should have icons with the same color gradient. (Not a blue icon, a green one, etc.)
You can score up to 10 points here.

bowser has said that the results for the previous contest will be released today, so expect this contest to start in the weekend.

To close things off, everyone this is your last chance to discuss the theme and its restrictions (which have been updated, check the main post), as well as the new judging criteria, once the contest starts there will be no changing of anything.

Also if anyone wishes to be the second judge, let me know. I will inform every contestant via pm when the contest starts as well.

Level 16
If anybody with a good knowledge in the triggering department wants to partner I'm looking for one. I'm entering with the hopes of winning and want to put a lot of time into this to make it the best it can be, so I expect the same of my partner and only want to partner with someone who has the same mindset. I don't want to enter and make something mehh, I want to win.

I work as a producer and editor-in-chief as my real jobs so I know how to properly run things, which is why I will take charge of the general concept along with doing the terraining, while my partner would be in charge of the bulk of the coding as well as most of the object editor work. I'm tough to work with as I expect a lot from you, but if you're hard working and keep to schedule the end product should come out great.

Any ideas as to what you might be wanting to make? You're obviously a very experienced person and partnering with you would be a fantastic choice, but I'm want to know what ideas you have for the submission.

Yeh i would need someone possibly with a great coding ability (better than me) or else it won't be worth me partnering up with someone and will only merely slow me down. >.>
For anyone who's interested contact me. My terraining ability has improved A LOT over the time I've been doing Wc3 modding. Check my last submission from the last mapping contest If you want. And I still realized that that terrain could still need improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.