• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

midi files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
so i just googled and some guide from 2006 says that in order for warcraft 3 and the world editor to recognize and play midi music we have to edit a bunch of stuff wich is bad because every single person who wants to hear the midi files would have to do the whole editing

has a new better way been found?

Level 16
Bro, this is 2013, not 2006. Just use .mp3 music files and the Sound Editor will do it's thing.

...?

I think .mp3 files are more compressed and smaller; anyways if it's the size you're worried there are a good deal of tools online that might help you.

Yes of course the attraction to midi's is their file size...

To the point. I have not used Midi's before. Midi's require a soundfont of sampled sounds in order to be played. The problem is that the World Editor or Warcraft 3 does not have these soundfonts and therefore does not support Midi files.

However, it is possible to access the computers soundfont files. You need to mess around with it a bit. I don't personally know how to do this, but here is a tutorial:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/using-midi-music-wc3-217591/

Good luck. Let us know if it works.

Edit:

Use .mp3's instead and compress it using something like Audacity.

I've managed to get 3 minute songs down to 800KB or so with reasonable quality. Look into compression if the MIDI's dont work out for you like PurgeandFire suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.