• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Using MIDI in custom maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
This tutorial covers two ways to use MIDI in a wc3 custom map. One requires enabling local files, the other doesn't.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/miscellaneous-tutorials-456/using-midi-music-wc3-217591/

Does anyone have any practical experience on this? Is it stable? It's mentioned that it might cause crashes on reloading the map - I wouldn't care as my map is multiplayer and I could simply disable all the midi stuff in singleplayer if I want.
Or does "reloading" in this case mean when playing the map twice in a row?

I'm really interested in using MIDI, but I don't want to make the map less stable because of it.

Level 16
Very interesting indeed. Music imports are very problamatic due to filesize. I never thought of using MIDI's! However, I read the tutorial and it occured to me. Wouldn't all players playing the game need to make these registry changes for the MIDI's to work? In which case, MIDI use would not be an effective multiplayer tool unless the second option is used, in which map stability is at risk.

Hope we get an asnwer. If we can get MIDI's to work, they'll proove very useful.

Nestharius codeless Save/Load has a snippet that automaticly downloads a .bat file that enables local files if the user runs it manually. I don't see that much problems with the user interaction here (if it is even required, the other poster in this thread mentioned a solution without local files), as it can be detected wether local files is enabled or not and then just not play midi if it isn't.
Just want to know wether MIDI is stable in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.