• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Metastasis Elusive mind

Level 3
Screenshot_2.png

OVERVIEW

Metastasis is an iconic WC3 platform game in a space setting. I define the genre of this game as Mafia with a combat system.

Metastasis Elusive mind is a spin-off from the main game, which introduces a new kind of antagonist and aims to make the gameplay a bit more dynamic and chaotic.

Map works fine on classic patches (1.26/1.27/1.28 and other). Also map is adapted for Reforded, but there are problems (see current situation section).

HISTORY OF METASTASIS

Metastasis was developed by FelFox with the support of The Good Sirs clan (Metastasis map post).
For the first time map sources were posted in 2010. In 2016 Fel posted the source with the note "Do whatever you want with the source! Probably give credit!" The latest version of the original map was Metastasis 1.8.2.
Meta has always been a popular game, so there have been many attempts at a sequel, but most have been unsuccessful.
In early 2018, a sequel called Metastasis 2 was released by Thorlar and Tal0n (Dat-C3). At the end of 2018, that project was shut down, with Thorlar instead focusing on continuing the original 1.8.2 with less bold changes.

In early 2021, I am releasing the first version of Metastasis Elusive mind on the discord server "Metastasis!". It is based on version 1.9.6 (Thorlar). The big and only new addition is a new race of antagonists, the Telepaths.
From 2021 - 2023 Metastasis EM development was underway, a lot of new content was added, and all of 2023 I was trying to adapt the map for Reforged. Latest version of Metastasis Elusive Mind 1.2.1

WHAT'S NEW (ELUSIVE MIND)?
New race of antagonists - Telepaths

scr_tele1.png

Telepaths are a new type of anatagonist that can appear in the Metastasis Elusive mind game. In one game session they can appear instead of alien, instead of mutant or together with them.
At first glance, telepaths are no different from ordinary humans. They are not infested with alien creatures and have not yet become monsters.
Telepaths have experienced a metaphysical influence from an unknown force. This influence has bound them on a mental level.
Their collective consciousness considers everyone outside the collective bond a threat: humans, aliens and mutants. Therefore, the telepaths want to destroy everyone else at all costs.

It was a festive day, everyone gathered in the lobby to relax and celebrate Colony Unification Day. There were always a lot of military men on the station, and this holiday was especially important to them, especially the veterans of the colonial wars. We set a huge table and filled it with everything we could find on the station. Of course, it was not rich, but for the personnel, who were used to good food and alcohol, it was a real gift.
The foyer was not chosen by chance, it had a marvelous view of the open space. Instead of a wall there were huge, panoramic portholes in the floor. The thick glass rose up to the ceiling and ended in a huge, beautiful hemisphere. The sight was mesmerizing.
In the midst of the celebration, suddenly everyone fell silent. I turned my head and saw a slowly increasing flash of white light far outside the station. The artificial light went out all around, but it was replaced by this enveloping, warm light. We felt no fear, only warmth and serenity...
I was awakened by the staff doctor, I looked around and saw frightened people who, like me, were lying on the floor. On the loudspeaker, the station director was saying something about a spatial rift that had opened for a few minutes near the station, origin unknown. Given our line of work it couldn't be a coincidence.
For several days all the station personnel, who went out that night, were chased through inspections. They took every possible test, ran dozens of psychological tests... They found something, but they haven't figured out what it is yet.
I've felt fine all these months, I haven't noticed any changes. I was beginning to forget about the event, but one morning I ran into the janitor in the narrow aisle to the lab. He apologized to me...without opening his mouth. How did I hear his voice in my head? Subsequently, I discovered other people with whom we had a special connection. We didn't realize what was happening. We feel each other at a distance, we can communicate in short phrases just by looking into each other's eyes. Sometimes I see through other people's eyes!
None of us went to the doctors. We didn't agree, it was just a thought that came into our heads at the same time. It seems to be a kind of collective consciousness, we formed it ourselves, and it is stronger than each of us individually.
I've seen once before what is done to people who are exposed to extraterrestrial influence. It's far worse than any kind of military torture. If we are exposed, we will never see our family and loved ones again... WE can't let that happen, WE will attack first.

Telepaths are always multiple players (more than one).

At the beginning of the game, telepaths are just normal people, but they have specialties:
  • "Sensing" other telepaths before the Merge at a distance and up close:
  • "Sensing" on a station - once every 80 seconds, a telepath receives a message about other telepaths on a major station (not a ship), if there is one on it. At the same time all telepaths are pinged on the minicard.
  • "Sensing" near - if another telepath is near the telepath (distance 400), the telepath receives a message. A new similar message can only appear after 20 seconds, this can be called a cooldown.
  • After the merge, the telepath does not lose "sensing" abilities, But now he can only "sense" telepaths who have not yet undergone the fusion procedure.
  • Merge. This ability allows telepaths to "Merge" with their ally. Both allies will gain a shared view, giving them a significant advantage. In addition, merging once gives both telepaths +100 evolution points.
  • Evolution. Telepaths can evolve once and change their evolution type once.
  • Special Chat. Telepaths have special chat if a message begins with " [ ". This chat is only available to telepaths after "Merge". Only write such messages to "Spectators".
Additionally:
  • If an alien or mutant infects and kills one of the telepaths BEFORE evolution, it will become spawn and leave the collective mind of the telepaths. If the telepath has already evolved, it will not become a spawn, it will simply die.
  • Telepaths can reprogram android and it will side with them.
  • Humans should identify telepaths and destroy them.
  • Telepaths can't change their form. Before evolution they are simple humans, but after they are new beings that cannot return to human form.
  • A blood test can detect a telepath.

Combat
Type: Damage and Support. Skills: Psionic Blast [Damage and HP regeneration in the area].
Description: in his past life he was a soldier, the best fighter in the squad. Deals good damage to enemies and helps restore allies.

Astral Pursuer
Type: Close Combat. Skill: Speed Steal [Slows down the target, speeds up the chaser].
Description: This telepath's animalistic habits have turned him into a psionic monster. He stalks his victims, slowing them down and dealing heavy damage in melee combat.

Loner
Type: Independent. Skills: Shard [Summons a mobile assistant who can carry and use 2 items].
Description: The Loner is a closed individual. He does not need anyone but himself to fight. He can detach a part of his mind and mold it into a shape.

Slider
Type: Fast Moving. Abilities: Glide [Teleports you to an ally or an ally to you], Telepathic Beacon [Summons a beacon to teleport you].
Description: This telepath was a scientist working on an experimental teleportation device. Also, he was a slippery guy. Able to quickly change location for himself and allies.

Pyromancer
Type: Close combat. Abilities: Pyrokinetic mine [Plants an invisible mine that explodes when enemies (non-telepaths) approach.]. Self-sacrifice [The pyromancer sacrifices himself to ensure victory for his allies.].
Description: Pyro has always been a psychopath, from early childhood he loved fire and explosions. He got into the sector by accident and here he fully revealed his FIRE potential.

New space station the Reverendo

scr_reva.png

Added a new location and a space object with an unusual name Reverendo. This is the first new location in a long time. Has two unusual features: resources and crafting system, power bridge.

Reverendo — station of unknown origin. A few years ago, it was found in a cluster of asteroids at the edge of a star system. The station was brought from this sector by the U.S.I to conduct research.

Manufacturers are located at the top of the station. They create 2 types of resources, the combinations of which give the station the ability to use its weapons.
scr_revman.png

The first resource - Ether. The second resource - Gray Matter. Resources appear from the manufacturer on the 1st unit, once a minute. Issued resources are stored in two issue areas. If there are more than 9 units of one resource in the area at the same time, production stops.

The converter is a mechanism that converts resources into station capacities, consists of a receiving point and a control console.
scr_revconv.png

Resources need to be combined with regular in-game items and leverage in the console. This gives various effects. Figuring out all combinations of items and levers is an interesting challenge.
If you used the right lever and the right items, the items will disappear and the effect will appear. Successful and unsuccessful transformations are accompanied by sound design.

Converter console contains 4 levers:

Blue lever - Next to the lever there is a piece of paper with a hint, it says: "Stacked together, three ether flasks will power the station's long-range guns”
Green lever - There are different words scrawled on the lever, I will try to read them: "... 2 gray", "I need to add an ingredient ...”
Red lever - The console next to the lever is covered in blood: "Never put Ether and Gray matter next to [inaudible]”
White lever - There are no clues nearby, it is not known what it does.

The circular movement has returned to the station's landscape, but now the circle connects or disconnects the Power Bridge. By default, the bridge is lowered, but it can be raised using the station console.
scr_brige.png

The Power Bridge is a solid energy barrier that makes movement difficult (-50% movement speed). The state of the bridge can be changed every 3 minutes.
The bridge can be lowered/raised in 3 seconds. If a unit does not leave the area during the bridge's disconnection time, it will be destroyed.

Greate feature State table

scr_statetable.png

Now the game has a table of players! It consists of three columns: Player, Status, Role.

• Player - profession and nickname of the player.
  • Status - shows the status in the game: Alive, Dead, Left (+2 bonus states).
  • Role - shows the role of the player himself and the role of allies, if possible (for example, shows the roles of all Mutant / Alien spawns). Shows the roles of all the deceased. If a player cannot know the role of another player, then in the table the latter will be as “?”.
The table does not show “role spoilers”, it only shows what you already know, but may have forgotten. It's a convenience tool.For example, when you spawn, you used to have to type -listaliens/-listmutant, now you can just look at the table.

Additional table features:
Shows the evil role that he has reprogrammed the android “Android (mutant)”. Shows test results. Shows evil role after voting -evil.

Feature Random stars in the system

scr_stars.png

The yellow sun has always been at the center of the Metastasis gaming sector. This is not just a decoration, the sun damages objects nearby and affects the lighting of locations.

Continuing the trend in environment randomization, a new mechanism was introduced - a random type of star in the system. The following parameters depend on what type of star appeared:
  1. Star damage on approach.
  2. Orbit of the planets.
  3. Light level.
💡 I note that the level of lighting depends on the time of day in WC3 (24:00 midnight, 12:00 day). In earlier versions, this value was - 24:00. Because of this, the game has always been dark. During the “solar activity” event, the luminosity was brought to a maximum - 12:00. All new stars have different levels of luminosity.

Now, at the beginning of the game, one of six types of stars will be randomly selected:

• Brown dwarf. Luminosity: 01:00 (dim). Damage: low. The orbit of the planets is close to the star.

• Yellow star. Luminosity: 02:00 (ordinary). Damage: medium. Ordinary planetary orbit.

• Red star. Luminosity: 22:00 (light). Damage: medium. Ordinary planetary orbit.

• Blue giant. Luminosity: 19:00 (bright). Damage: highest. The orbit of the planets is far from the star.

• Double star. Luminosity: 04:00 (light). Damage: high. The orbit of the planets is far from the star.

• Black hole 😲. Luminosity: 23:00 (dim). No damage, the object is destroyed if it hits the center of the black hole. Ordinary planetary orbit.

Feature Nebulas

scr_nebulas.png

A completely new type of object for the game - nebula. At the beginning of the game, several nebulae will randomly appear in the system with different effects.
Nebulae affect mainly small ships (explorers).

• Purple Nebula. If an explorer enters the region of the nebula, then a gravitational anomaly will begin to move it forward uncontrollably.

• Blue Nebula. If an explorer enters the area of the nebula, it will become invisible. In addition, he will gain the ability to detect other hidden objects. Upon leaving the nebula, the abilities subside. Large objects such as the Swagger cruiser do not gain invisibility, but do gain a detect ability.If the hidden ship starts to attack, then the invisibility will subside for a while.

• Yellow Nebula. If an explorer enters the area of the nebula, it will uncontrollably begin to be thrown from side to side, thereby complicating movement. Such nebulae form near small stations.

• Red nebula. If any space object enters the area of the nebula, it will begin to receive periodic damage. If an explorer enters, then not only the ship will receive damage, but also all creatures that are present on board.

Feature Second pilot

scr_spilot.png

The ships Albadar and Hunter now have sacond pilot consoles. When used, the character gains access to the ship's secondary weapon, but cannot control movement.

A weapon is an ability with a directed action. The ship fires a projectile(s) at a specified point in space. When a weapon is activated, its icon appears in the upper-left corner of the screen. To select a weapon (if you have lost it), you can click on the icon or the ship itself.

• Hunter's weapon
    Gravity Wave Cannon - Fires a gravitational wave that travels in a straight line. On impact with a space object, the wave explodes and repels the object, causing minor damage. The weapon may overheat.Damage to ships - 1000. Damage to stations - 2500. Manacost: 10 energy immediately and 25 energy during 5 sec. Cooldown: 1,5 sec.

• Albadar’s weapon
    Rapid-fire turret - fires a burst of plasma projectiles in the specified direction.A total of 4 shells, they fly out one at a time, with a break of 0.4 seconds. Each projectile deals 850 damage to the ship and 1300 damage to the station.Manacost: 15 energy immediately and 30 energy over 5 seconds. Cooldown: 3 sec.
The second pilot's console does not turn off when the ship is docked. Instead, you gain control of the ship's gun in the dock and view around. The attack changes to an area shot, but the projectile travels slowly.
scr_hunter.png

Feature Random anonymity mod

scr_randommod.png

This is the most fun thing I've ever done. With a probability of 20% at the beginning of the game, the anonymity mod is activated:

• Common anonymity mod: the colors of the players are mixed, all nicknames are replaced with random ones. Drop chance - 15%.
  • Extreme anonymity mod: all player colors are changed to gray (all gray), all nicknames are changed to random ones. Drop chance - 5%.
  • UNREAL anonymity mod: all players are gray, and the names of all players are replaced with barcodes ||||||||||||||||||||, that is, the names of all players are the same.
The -names command does not work. At the end of the game, real nicknames will be revealed. Random nicknames are taken from a list of 100 names.

Feature Designate a player a hostile via voting

scr_vote.png

Now you can accuse another player of being evil!

💡 Voting is non-committal, but I think it's a good roleplay element.

Enter the command "-evil red" or "-evil" and select the player you want to accuse. Voting will begin. To vote, players must enter the commands “-yes” and “-no”.

If the -yes vote is more than half of all voters, then the player will be labeled as Evil. This will appear in the state table in place of his role. All people should hunt for this player.

If there are not enough votes within 80 seconds, it will end in cancellation. If there are more than half of the -no votes from all voters, then the vote will end in cancellation..

Voting for the appointment of Evil - Display on the minimap. Player (player character) who has been accused of being Evil is displayed in red on the minimap when scanned by trackers. This is the first real reflection of the results of the Evil appointment vote in gameplay.

Which trackers display the "evil" character? - Survece sweep on Arbitress, Niffy, Swagger, Kyo, and Reverendo. - Radar Sweep on Minerte and global Radar Sweep on Arbitress. - ACAD on Arbitress. - Tracking Device item and Motion Sensor item.

Additional race of antagonists Cyborg

scr_cyborg.png

Developed by Thorlar and Tal0n. Cyborg is the fourth evil in Metastasis EM. Ported to EM from Metastasis 2.4.

Initially, it looks like an ordinary person, but is able to use the corpses of players as a resource for its own strengthening:

• Plant chip - inserts a cyborg chip into the corpse of a deceased creature, if the main body of the cyborg dies, then it will be reborn in this corpse.
    💡 If the cyborg is reborn in the body of an evolved evil, then he will receive the appearance and all the abilities of this creature. For example, upon receiving the body of Alien, the cyborg gains the ability to infect people and spawning.
  • Evolution - uses the corpse of a deceased creature to turn into an enhanced form, while the cyborg loses its human appearance.
  • Absorb abilities - in its enhanced form, the cyborg is able to take abilities from the corpses of dead creatures, while not changing its form.

VIDEOS

CHANGELOG

CURRENT SITUATION AND PROBLEMS

The latest version is Metastasis EM 1.2.1. It works absolutely stable on classic patches (1.26 for example). It is tested by hundreds of games.

Almost all of 2023 I tried to adapt the map for Reforded. I got almost everything... except the desynchronization problem. Any version of Metastasis has a desynchronization problem in Reforded and I tried to solve it. Unfortunately, in spite of all my attempts, it was not possible to finally solve this problem. Although I think desynchronization is the least likely to happen in EM 1.2.0.

• SD graphic mode is blocked.
  • All GetLocalPlayer() functions have been double-checked.
  • The DestroyTrigger() function has been removed from the game code, as the function can cause the game to crash.
  • Complete replacement of PolledWait() and TriggerSleepAction() functions with timers (173 function calls...).
  • Extensive work was done to eliminate memory leaks in the game code. Fixed more than 100 triggers and functions: zeroing of local variables, forgotten deletions of Groups and Locations.
  • Completely rewritten and optimized high-frequency timer-triggered scripts.
  • Replaced GetPlayerSlotState() and GetPlayerController() functions with variable values, now these functions are called only once at game startup.
  • Replaced “Player(bj_PLAYER_NEUTRAL_EXTRA)” with the variable “ParasiteExtra” throughout the entire map code for easier switching to another neutral player.
  • Reset the “Monster Camps” constants to their default values, as these values could cause desynchronization. The AI behavior of bot units has been reworked due to issues arising from the constant changes. Overall AI has been improved.
  • Removed unnecessary hashtable initializations: InitHashtable(). These objects consume a large amount of memory and it is better to initialize them in smaller quantities.

Last edited:
Level 3
What does yours bring new or is it that different?
In fact, this is a continuation, with new content, since the original map has not been updated for a long time.

If it's an edit of work by others you'll need permission to have it on this site.

I can only provide this. The original developer posted the source so that anyone can continue this map:

1705831692040.png

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
In fact, this is a continuation, with new content, since the original map has not been updated for a long time.
I can only provide this. The original developer posted the source so that anyone can continue this map:
Alright. Fair. Now all that remains is for it to be considerably different than the one I linked to so we won't have copies around.
Also @Tal'Rarity do you have anything against this version, that if you can prove the permission to edit was given solely to you?

Alright. Fair. Now all that remains is for it to be considerably different than the one I linked to so we won't have copies around.
Also @Tal'Rarity do you have anything against this version, that if you can prove the permission to edit was given solely to you?
It is true felfox gave permission to allow others like both thorlar and myself and now we're in agreement just like felfox.
This is no longer a copy despite being very similar, elusive mind is an interesting continuation of metastasis 1 with some shared elements from its sequel.

Level 3
I am attaching an open version of the map so that anyone can continue development.
Inside the archive there are 3 files, Reforged version and 2 versions for old patches (1.26+), in English and Russian.

Please note that the desynchronization problem is not solved in the Reforged version. If you continue development, the desynchronization problem should be solved first.

Attachments

• Metastasis EM Open Pack.zip
    23.7 MB · Views: 2