• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maya vs 3ds max

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
They are horribly similar softwares. Sometimes I just wish Autodesk would merge them together.
It is only a major nuisance at this moment, they even cost freaking the same at this point and it only makes it more awkward for the designers who are forced to use either one of them at their workplace.

General consensus is that maya is better with animation and 3ds max has tools more suited for modeling of assets for real-time display.
The actual difference is that maya is less user friendly and has cluttered interface while max is generally the preferred option for being more accessible in numerous ways.
But really, the studios use XX or XX probably because that is the software they purchased.

Level 17
That would be the entertainment suite I reckon. It has either maya or max (your choice unless you get the ultimate) mudbox, softimage and motion builder or something.
Geh, I don't know how much less expensive it is than buying them separately but most people won't really use most of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.