• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3ds or maya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Based on http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247220-49-maya
I know is that maya has better animating and 3ds has better modeling
But I just want to know, which one will be perfect for Warcraft?
Actually, I know there is a plugin for 3ds called NeoDex, and I have tried it, work awesome, but maybe I can use it with maya? Or maya has another one?

And so the main question is:
Which one will be perfect for Warcraft? 3ds or Maya?

Thank you,
-Idaero Ace, a newbie in here

Level 17
The only thing you need to know is that you cannot export anything from Maya into wc3 directly. (you would have to export an FBX into 3ds and then out into wc3 with Neodex)
Unless there is a plug-in for maya which I'm unaware of.

This is a universal issue with the two softwares, Max usually is the one with more 3rd party/community support and more documentation than Maya.

Level 29
I remember comparing them back in the days when I modeled, and the conclusion was that Maya is better for animations and movies (mostly round-ish stuff, no polygon budget, etc.), and 3ds Max is better for games (more control over hard surfaces, more geared towards smaller polygon budgets, etc.).

I don't know how true this is these days though.

Level 15
Right, actually I have chosen 3ds
I just want to ask XD

By the way, BlinkBoy, thank you for you NeoDex and your tutorial, it's awesome
Now I can animating.... Just need to know how to add textures

Status
Not open for further replies.