• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maplestory Survival RPG - Ariant/Orbis Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Survival type games such as Fortress Survival, MineralZ, Protect the House/Guy, Survival, Jurassic Park Survival, and other Zombie/Marine Survivals are my all time favs.

I have also played this MMORPG, Maplestory, for 7 years on and off.

So I thought about it for a really long time...!
And I think I should make a Maplestory Survival RPG :eek:
I am almost tied between making it Maplestory Survival or Pokemon Survival... or even Nintendo Survival.
It would be a mini-map similar to Protect the House...
not something grand that I can't complete within a month.
I am familiar with editor ever since WC3 came out and capable of using GUI (in MUI), Jass, and vJass.

Well, I don't know how much of the community knows about MapleStory or would bother playing this game if I made it, so I wanted some input before trying to create a map that might be lost behind in the dust.

The map would be you surviving against waves of Maplestory monsters
(I have already created Green Slime model, but not every monster gets a model that looks like real MS...).

You would pick from one of 4 classic Maplestory classes.
Warrior, Thief, Archer, Magician.
Phantom class is also available after obtaining enough MaplePoints (save/load).

The reason I only left it to 4-5 classes is because I want to spend time on each one to make unique custom fast-paced spells for them to make it similar to MapleStory.

The beginning will be a quick 10 second intro cinematic where a peasant runs towards the pyramid-like base in the middle of the oasis desert (Ariant, for those who play MS). He yells to his fellow peasant builders that the Heroes have returned! And here are the players, back home after a long journey. They have went out and successfully slain Jr. Balrog. They discover the heroes are on the run from Crimson Balrog and his minions. It becomes clear that Balrog decided to wage war against the Maple World.

The objective would be to bunker yourself in the pyramid-like base that the heroes and fellow peasant builders have created with blocks (I created base already and yes it is really made of blocks, 1 by 1). This base features height support where you can scale the walls with ladders, and attack from above on top of walls.

Ladders can be crafted by Warrior class after hunting Stumps for tree branches on Wave 7.
You can place Golem Blocks obtained by killing Stone Golems on a later wave inside your base and peasant allies AI will automatically pick them up and use them to expand the base.

The expansion is coded and the blocks will eventually reach the sky (Wave 15-ish, which should be around 30 minutes in-game).

This is just something I just made to show you how it will sort of look like. Triggers will automatically have peasant builders pop on more blocks that lead towards the sky.

35jz97m.png

I know it looks bad but hey they are on the spot, defending for survival... and making these blocks out of golems! Don't ask why there is sunlight at Night.

Once the blocks are built up high enough you can travel to Orbis (Sky Island)...
I had another project called Plants vs. Zombies (sound familiar, anyone?)
and thought I could throw in a mini-game of that type on the way to Orbis on top of those blocks. But that's just a maybe.
A vJass projectile system is in this map so it wouldn't be that tough actually.

Here at Orbis you are at peace for a few minutes, only to find that Balrog has invaded the Passenger boat heading towards Orbis (Yes real Maple MMO has this, just not as cool storyline).

So you and your peasants talk to some Orbis NPCs and head for the highest and best spot for defense. Here you find the final waves and Balrog makes a scene, and you battle him to the death.

As hefty as all that sounds, I have most of the groundwork done and have ~3 systems in (dmg, projectile, save/load) but it's still not too late to convert to another type other than MapleStory map, or change my ideas / storyline around. Now if it stays MapleStory, I can continue terrain to fit MapleStory, and do the 4 classes' spells (I'll leave Phantom for another version I guess). Remember this is just a mini-map like Protect the House I have no time or no aim for a masterpiece work sorry XD -- just something do-able in under a month.

How does that sound? XD
Oh and, there is a lot of hate for MapleStory so I have thought about making this something else like Nintendo Character Survival or Pokemon Survival. But at the moment I thought I'd try MapleStory. Soo.. :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.