• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Sponsoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Normally i wouldnt comment on forum related topics, but i thought i would just post my views on this matter.

First i would like to say this isnt a 'Sponsor' feature Ralle is implementing. Its more of a promotional feature as he is promoting maps for a fee. Being sponsored is where you are paid for your work. So i just thought id make that point first. It doesnt really matter, im sure everyone knows the difference between being Sponsored and Promoting

Now in my opinion modders shouldnt need to pay a fee to promote there mods. Im not saying they have to but modding a map/projevt isnt something that you get paid for (I wish) and its more a chance for the average gamer to try his hand in modder his own game. Luckily most of the wc3 community websites on the web are all free to join. Now Ralle is at this alone and he does appreicate donations and this idea is just another way he might be able to get some extra funds which there is nothing wrong with. I just think this new feature will single out certain maps becuase they are offering to pay Ralle for promotion. I know its his site and he can do whatever he wants to help fund the hive website, but if i decided i wanted to make some money and asked Ralle to pay me a fee to promote his site through my maps. What do you think ralle would say, 'Get Stuff' This is sorta the same situation execpt modders have a choice with Ralle's Promotional feature.

Also if a modder really wanted to promote his own project/map he would be better off posting on as many wc3 community websites as he can, allowing for a broader range of audience of users. I have done this on my own project and though i dont always get 5 star ratings alot of people do know my maps project and most importantly my rivals know who and where i am:).

If Ralle is looking for ideas on getting more funds, then maybe he should look into having a subscriber based member format. Where suscribed members who pay, get extra forums privilages and secific forums only paid users can use and enter and then have a none subscriber member base with current forum privilages and current general based forums. I can tell many members reading this would think of this as an even worst idea then the current topic we are discussing and this is how i feel about the promoting fee.

Either way Ralle and the Hive workshop are a great community webiste either way. Ralle has done a great job building this website for us and my post hs nothing to do with how i feel about him and his methods of maintaning the site.

night_wolveX
Starcraft 1.5 Project Creator

Status
Not open for further replies.