• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map Sponsoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hello everyone!
Hiveworkshop will soon be getting another feature. We will be showing people's maps and mods on the front page. This way people can get their projects promoted. In exchange people will have to sponsor the hive by donating a small fee.

Here is the first map in line (you cannot request this at all yet):

The City of Drugs

City Of Drugs is basically a 'Live A Life' map where you can be a citizen, join mafia gang, police force or become a drug dealer. You can buy houses, marry, have kinds, dance , be a farmer, be a cook, buy cars, units, go to prison, upgrade, build economy, deal drugs etc.
However, next to the main idea it has nothing to do with loap.

The main differences are:
There is a goal, each job has promotion levels, players are balanced, every player can be anything he wants (police, drug, mafia, cook, mailman, farmer), terrain, minimum on memory leaks, nice custom models, intensive gameplay and other

Every player will start the game as a citizen and will be forced to join Mafia, Drug or Police force. Ones joined u can still do side jobs as cook, farmer, delivery boy etc
There are also a lot of map activities during the game: Animals escaping from the zoo, hooligans trashing the streets, mafia gangs fighting for territory etc. You can also buy guns and weapons or even buy an Armor/Mech that can be worn by the hero.

Some people run away as soon as they smell something similar to the word LOAP. But this map truly glorifies that map category in my opinion.

Anyway, you will have to wait for the system to be deployed in order to get your own map displayed here.

Level 34
hmmmm O ok let me just point out the fact that someone needs to slap ralle so he can take a good objective look at this idea

basicly this means money = good map
You mean that people with crappy maps will get front page? I don't honestly care. Although I think Ralle would check them out first.

Level 2
why would someone pay to promote a crappy map anyway?

If someone believe in his product engouh to pay the fee then maybe it's worth a try

Level 4
Exactly what he said, why would people pay to promote a crappy map. Anyways, if they pay the money they should get the promotion. It would be kind of unfair to limit who can do it, just because one person doesn't think the map is good, if it follows the rules then they should be allowed to advertise their map.

But i also believe there will be some level of quality if they care enough to pay to advertise it.

Level 13
Hmmm that's a cool idea. How long would the map be on the front page?

And seriously I doubt some noob map maker is just gonna storm in here and pay money so he can look like a retard. Anyone who's willing to laying down funds has to be seriously dedicated to his craft.

Level 5
It's a way to promote your map while making a contribution to the site; I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with this. I can't foresee this hurting the site in any way, and it's likely to motivate a few extra people to make a donation. Who otherwise might have been happy to just keep their cash in their own pocket. Aside from that the other members might discover a map they really like, which otherwise might have slipped through unnoticed.

Level 10
Well just like me, i always wanted to donate to Hive, but it just didnt felt right. Its like giving charity or going to church. Yhaaak
We have also worked very hard for almost a year on "the city of drugs" and it turned out to be an amazing map. There are amazing features like car pushback effect, police radiochat, buying abilities from the shop, weapon attachments and things like that. But its so hard to get noticed by a large group of people.
So i thought, hey, you'll promote my map and ill have a reason to donate. Everyone is happy.
And as im paying in euro and donations are in us dolar, its a great deal! :D

Level 15
It's funny how some people are more than willing to donate, but once they get a small favor in return, they are suddenly against the whole idea.

Level 27
Its the difference between the feeling of charity and bribery.
A lot of people are glad to donate to the Hive, but those people don't want Hive selling out.
I think the greatest fear amongst the community is nothing will stop Hive from sponsoring piss poor quality maps as long as they follow site rules. I mean, with hosted projects, the project had to be pretty good. Now anyone with a paypal account can waltz in and stamp their name onto the Hive, regardless of quality.
--donut3.5--

Level 6
Its the difference between the feeling of charity and bribery.
A lot of people are glad to donate to the Hive, but those people don't want Hive selling out.
I think the greatest fear amongst the community is nothing will stop Hive from sponsoring piss poor quality maps as long as they follow site rules. I mean, with hosted projects, the project had to be pretty good. Now anyone with a paypal account can waltz in and stamp their name onto the Hive, regardless of quality.
--donut3.5--

I share some of the thoughts with you. When I'm donating to the hive , i won't need any ad for my map... Isn't the hive already worth donating ?

Level 24
Well,some of you may realise that having your map promoted gives you a chance against the ''You know what Map''.

Ralle just gets a fee and you may advance as ''YKWM'' and gain enough money to create a new game inspired by it.

''YKWM'' was poorly at first,but it was promoted due o a large number of people that sustained it ,then it got updated until it became what is today,it gains enough money.

So you may quite profit from this.

But there should be a rule,only 5 stars rated maps may be promoted.

Level 17
Stop flaming it, its a great idea. If you dont like the map dont play it, OOOHH ITS IN THE FRONT PAGE MY LIFE IS RUINED. (I mean, if a bad map is posted, i dont mean city of drugs)

But personally i wouldnt even think of paying to get a map promoted no matter HOW good my map is. As a donation to the hive, Ok, but as "paying" to get my map on a front page. Thats pretty fucking stupid and a waste of money...

Well i confused myself, i mean, if i wanted to pay money SPECIFICALLY to get my map promoted (I dont care about the hive for example) then its just stupid of me to waste money. Wtf, pay to get a Wc3 map advertised? What a retarded waste of money.

But thats what I wouldnt do, absloutly no offence intended to Doctor-pepper.

Level 10
But thats what I wouldnt do, absloutly no offence intended to Doctor-pepper.

No offence taken.
ANyway, i also wouldnt pay if i didnt care about Hive. Hive is happy, i am happy. Why not

Also, i think that the most of us waste weekly more money on things that are even more ridiculous than sponsoring a site and promoting a map (i know i do)

P.S. i rlly wanted that Paypal donor icon :D

Level 17
rulerofiron99, sorry, but those three lines were hilariously retarded.
I don't care where Hive gets the money from. It's not a service we pay for, it's a great favor we get for free. I can't see how this would hurt the site in any way and I can't see how people could make so hilarious comments on this.
Not like my opinion really matters but I'm okay with the idea. I'm not going to use it though.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I think it is a really good idea.. Until now, people have only given to hive. Now hive can give something back.
The mappers can help sponsor hive and we sponsor their map. I think it's a brilliant idea.
I will ofcourse maybe judge the map. I don't want to host "Just Another Warcraft 3 Map" if you know what I mean. It probably would need decent rating in the maps section.

Level 24
I think it is a really good idea.. Until now, people have only given to hive. Now hive can give something back.
The mappers can help sponsor hive and we sponsor their map. I think it's a brilliant idea.
I will ofcourse maybe judge the map. I don't want to host "Just Another Warcraft 3 Map" if you know what I mean. It probably would need decent rating in the maps section.

A very wise conception Ralle,this way,some users may get a motivation to make their map better and attract more downloaders.

Level 19
I don't see why a poll is required.
It only offers a map advertising for those that want it.
-> you are not forced to do this.

-> You can pay for various options, why would a poll help deciding to approve another option?

I think a poll isn't necessary because this is just another addition for The Hive Workshop!

And if you want to see how many members like to have it,
then you may see it on time when the system launches.

Level 15
Because Heero changed his bloody name again.

First Fl4MES, then Heero, now Xarwin. Make up your damned mind :p

Nah at first I called myself Mr. VooDoo, but I found out a horrid truth...
... The worst rep singer ever is call by that.
Then I took Velmarshal.
Yep a perfect idea.

Last edited:
Level 35
People it is nice idea. Why not ? This poor man all those years pyt it from his own pocket. Of course donation too. But maybe his pocket isn't so full anymore, and donations are much lower then before, so he must find way to keep his site alive. And yeah map sponsoring is nice idea, pay and they will promote your map. Don't worry they will not sponsor total shitty maps which I test every day.
But I know. Money is problem. Well Ralle didn't order that everyone must pay or donate, just only who wants it. But you all want everything free. Well Hive is free for you. Noone forced you to join into this. Just to know nothing is free today in general. You want game, pay for it, you want good program pay for it. Well logical all of us have illegal stuff, cracks or similiar, well it is free. But it isn't. Because you downloaded it via internet, well that internet you pust pay also (or your parents).
Nothing is free today. hehe belive me I am also live person like you i also like to have everyhting free or cheap, I also want to be popular ass like you from many ways, I also like to drive expensive car, to drive whores there and such. But I am like you I want many things free or cheap that's why I am here sitting on coputer non-stop like monkey and test your top quality maps. When I am at home of course.
In this case you will have to donate small amount and your map will be on front page. It means that you will be soon famous, everyone will see it. You will be famous even like brad.dude03. He told right, this is business for you, pay and get glory or stay in the shadow forever. MMUUUAHAHAHAH
Sometimes I like this job so much here is funny with you :cgrin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.