• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Lord of the Rings: The Gathering

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Lord of the Rings: The Gathering (Updated)

Lord of the Rings: The Gathering
'The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began,
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.'
~Bilbo Baggins

Introduction
Who haven't dreamt of bursting out the door, not knowing where the road may take you? This is your opportunity to let go and follow along on this tale, that has been told and told again countless times.
Tolkien's tales have made an impact all around the globe; I say it is time they made an appearance worth witnessing, in Azeroth!

Features
Different Starting Zones: This will be an RPG in which you play as one of four races. Depending on what race you choose you will start off in a different zone with different quests.
3rd Person Camera: The game will be played in a 3rd person camera mode.
Races: The project will feature 4 playable races to choose from when playing the game. The races will be revealed as we progress.
Main Questline: As the story progresses, regardless what race you're playing as, you will eventually find your way to Rivendell where the Fellowship is formed.

Progress
If you are interested in following our progress, this section will keep you updated on what the we on the team are currently working with.
Nknight001
Nknight is currently working on models for The Shire. Here are some of the beautiful models he whipped together!
Hobbiton Well.jpg
91371962.jpg

Rexon100
Rexon100 is currently terraining one of the starting zones, The Shire. Here is one of his WIP's:
hobbiton2.jpg

Fladdermasken
I am currently terraining the Old Forest, home of Tom Bombadil. Here is one of my WIP's:
84884d1278558151-pointers-playable-terrain-dret.jpg

Team
Rexon100 - Terrain, Tilesets, Story
Fladdermasken - Terrain, Cinematics, Story
ACdestinydream - Triggers, Systems
Nknight001 - Animator, Model Maker

Team needed:
Scripters: We are in desperate need of scripters right now, so if you have any knowledge in scripting and would like to work on this project, please contact me or rexon100
Modelers: We will most likely need alot of models for this project, so additional modelers would be greatly appreciated!

'Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie'

Last edited:
hey where 2 go 4 sign in? i am making currently a campaign of LOTR prehistory (the Angmar part, fall of Arnor....)...i have read the novels some time ago and i am currently trying 2 bring parts from LOTR movie (like the Warg-Rider attack or the Charging of the Mumakils) in2 WC3.. i just lack a bit in the cache, the Q making. but i have made some models 4 lotr (unfortunately they haven't been approved). but they r still nice looking.....i am working mostly on a Gollum (will make it in a map with an OWN soundset.....made from it's *sayings* in the movie like *why do u h8 poor Smeagol?*)......i also made a model that looks like a Haradrim.....but i WILL revise its helmet 2 make it look like a turban! feel free 2 take my models and edit them.....DONT ask 4 permission @ me.... i am happy 4 every change 2 the better thats made.
P.S. is this LOTR only about the Fellowship or is it about the hole history?

Last edited:
Level 12
Yes i m working with cash42 on his map i will edit this post for the screenshots.
[EDIT] Note: I can work with cliffts and without cliffts.
cash42 said with cliffts :D

Last edited:
Level 14
Well good luck to you all for this project! And i hope it works out well for you all.
But concerning the terrain you have so far for hobbiton, i'd try and switch out some of the doodads for the models exclusively made for the hobbits, i'm fairly certain that Fladdermasken can find them in the UTM or you can, however.
If i were you though, i'd change the main page a tad. Just to have some more raw information on it concerning such things as what you are looking for in a team, the requirements and the map specifications, such as what you would be working on as a terrainer, how big the map is, what type of gameplay it will be, etc. etc.

But all in all, this is nice! And i really do hope you guys can pull it off. I'll see what i can do about terraining here and there if you guys need me too :p

Level 3
Here is some more info on the project

The Lotr RPG (ORPG) will feature a completly new and huge landscape, barly useing any thing from wc3, a total remake of the game, almost all of the world will be high rez and professionally done, even all side quests will have there own story, not like kill five wolves and come to me, the fealing of weather and danger, the nead of shelter and hundreds of legendary items each with attachments ( so i planned) and huge lore all based on the books. The ORpg will feature, Human, hobit, dwarf and elves and playable races (probably) and an evil main quest line to capture middle earth ( will be added in the end when project almost finished )

For me, im terraining all of the Shire and currently working on Hobbiton, also doing some basic models like attachments (working on The Sting) and doing some tilesets ( based of real life textures )

And Fladder is working on Bree land ( currently the city of Bree ) dont know whar else he is doing right now

Level 5
Honestly guys, I don't think ORPG is the best medium for a Lord of the Rings WC3 map.

One of the many bad things here on WC3 modding is not many people have delved into an RPG style that is in between both RPG and ORPG. RPGs are all linear and straight forward but lack anything else other than that whilst ORPGs often lack proper direction and try to do too much at once often ending in a convoluted experience yet offer a lot of freedom in how you explore content.

What I think Lord of the Rings should be is a regular RPG with a lot of ORPG elements. Have linear story progression but have bonus levels and areas, some mightn't be avilable straight away, others will. Give players the option to explore different back stories if they want to but also propel them to follow the story.

One idea I came up with back when I was producing a campaign was the idea of bonus level codes. Someone early on might ask for a code near a cave and then you discover it later on in the game.

Say you are in Bree for example, you can find a gate at the north and a guardsmen who asks for a specific code in order to pass through. That code is later given at another point in the game, say Pippin in Minas Tirith, through exploring finds the code word for the guard back in Bree. Players remember it or write it down, and then either save their current game and jump back to the previous chapter, or complete their current chapter first and then go back. This bonus chapter has the four hobbits traveling through the lost kingdom of Arnor, learning the lore behind it and doing other various things.

This idea entices players to explore for additional content and also makes side quests and exploration very rewarding yet not over powering the player in a sense. This idea could be considered very dated, however it fits really well into the medium of WC3 maps and mods.

The other idea I had "back in my day" was that if you are doing an RPG. Give all heroes a spell book of abilities, but make most of them work automatically. This allows the players a level of customization and also calls for a sense of strategy.

Should Legolas fire arrows stronger, or from further range? If he's being hit too much or gets in the way (due to crumby WC3 pathing) then perhaps giving him more range is suitable. If your party needs more DPS, perhaps giving him more attack power is more beneficial.

I honestly think you should re-consider the idea of making LotR an ORPG. Not to mention it really does not work when you go into two towers and return of the king when you follow as many as 3-5 story lines.

And unless you are going to do different campaigns following a different chronology (also a lot harder to do), then I'd take the Peter Jackson initiative and interweave all the plots. Granted I think you should cut Frodo and Sam's story after Shelob so when the mouth of sauron comes out the suspense is more believable. But I wouldn't discard Peter Jackson's version off as a lot of his story telling methods fit a WC3 quite well.

Level 5
it will be an open rpg, following the fellowship questline and allowing to explore regions mentioned in the books, The Hobit and maybe some long ruined locations from the children of Hurin
So your mod is just following the Fellowship of the Ring sorry?

Status
Not open for further replies.