• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Lithion's Awakening SPRPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

I'm sure it will be a huge hit when released. just like the chosen Ones...

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

I Hope so. (If so, Veritas 117 will earn my respect. TCO Ended in 8 years, and it has been only 3 years since the project started. Do we have to wait ~5 Years? HMoG!)

Thats whats scares me tooo, and only veritas can answer that, So Veritas ?

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

All right All right... All I was saying is this project may take time because its huge and epic with lot of features.....

Level 17
So you don't respect him now, but then he would earn it? How any of these projects are connected, how can anyone compare the development time span between two different projects, especially with different developers, none of this comparison makes any sense.

Now that I Think, I Was wrong. Hmmm... Sorry Veritas :(
Anyway, he Already has my respect. What I meant from that comment was that he Will be like an Idol for me.

Level 14
Wow, a lot has been going on here since I've been gone. I went to my wife's sister's wedding this weekend and I just got back. I'm afraid I don't really have any answers to anyone's questions about how long this will be. I can, however, guarantee that if for any reason I decide to stop working on this project (very doubtful) then I will be sure to post what I have here for anyone willing to take it on. No sense in years of work going to waste because I decided I was tired of it.

Thanks for all the support. I really appreciate it!

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

*Killing Myself*

Thank you for doing it..............................................................................(JOKE !!!)

And there is some risk involved in every great task. Don't worry the chances are very less.

Level 17
And there is some risk involved in every great task. Don't worry the chances are very less.

Do you have Schizophrenia? Cuz you're talking to a Dead man. (Joking)

@Veritas: I Hope you finish it, Veritas :)
Else, You know that good people of hive Shall follow your way if Allowed.

EDIT: Veritas 117 Join date: 2010 | Mine: 2015 and I'm Telling Veritas This. now I have Schizophrenia.

Level 14
@Catch ya: Thanks for the feedback. My style of mapping tends to be a little strange. I like to come up with ideas for bosses, events, areas, etc and then create the environment around them.

It works pretty well, but I am constantly trying to figure out how to tie them into the story. Most people seem to have the story laid out and create their maps around that. I just take a collection of ideas and try to figure out how to connect them.

Level 14
Well it's been awhile, but I'm still here. Tinkering away.

I have been working on some quests lately. One in particular I think is pretty neat. I have dig spots in my maps where you can dig up gold and treasure etc. There is one dig spot, however, that has already been dug up in Callienth. When you dig there you see footprints leading away and follow them. Eventually they bring you to Borin the Treasure Hunter.

Borin is a dwarf and has a few quests for you that involve treasure hunting. His rewards aren't regular items though, he will give you better shovels, treasure maps, and torches that increase your light radius and can even help you find secrets.

One part of his quest I find particularly enjoyable is when you meet him near a cave and he follows you inside. When you find a certain area he will start digging. With a bit of special effects and an elevator it looks like he digs a hole in the ground and exposes a secret passage.

I really like finding new ways to do things like that. It may not seem that interesting, but actually getting mechanics like that to work and look the way I want consistently gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Anyway, that is a very basic update on what I've been up to.

Attachments

• Find Footprints.png
    Find Footprints.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 101
  • Covered Cave.png
    Covered Cave.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
  • Uncovered Cave.png
    Uncovered Cave.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • Borin Follows Heroes.png
    Borin Follows Heroes.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • Dig Spot.png
    Dig Spot.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 111
  • Borin Digging 01.png
    Borin Digging 01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • Borin Digging 02.png
    Borin Digging 02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • Borin Enters Passage.png
    Borin Enters Passage.png
    2 MB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Level 14
Wow I just realized I have been gone from this thread for months!

This project is still going on whenever I have time to work on it. I've been working on a lot of systems lately. I like creating systems myself, but I have realized there are some things I just can't do. I have been looking around and finding some systems here on Hive that I can use and adapt so that has been interesting and I'm learning more and more everyday.

So far I have implemented a missile system to have some better spells for heroes, bosses, and other units. I have also been working on a buff system. I want to make buffs important without being overly complicated. For example a certain spell might do more damage to a unit that has a "burnt" buff (or debuff actually).

I'm also working on a fishing system. I have added some fishing spots and the hero has a tool in their satchel called a fishing net. What I haven't figured out is how to make it useful yet. My thought are that certain fish basically just offer certain rewards.

Do you think something like Fish A: HP Bonus, Fish B: Mana Bonus, Fish C: Armor Bonus, etc would be worth it? I would also have a chance that you could find a usable piece of equipment or something too.

As always feel free to leave any comments or ideas. I love to gather inspiration from all of you.

Attachments

• Fish Spot 1.png
    Fish Spot 1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • Fish Spot 2.png
    Fish Spot 2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 77

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

^ All, Hail VERITAS !!!! :cgrin:

Veritas said:
I'm also working on a fishing system. I have added some fishing spots and the hero has a tool in their satchel called a fishing net. What I haven't figured out is how to make it useful yet. My thought are that certain fish basically just offer certain rewards.

Well, just in case you need any help with that system, I have a similar fishing system in my campaign. In mine, however, there are no hp / mana bonuses unless you cook the fish.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
[E]clipse;2791793 said:
Well, just in case u need any help with that system, I have a similar fishing system in my campaign. In mine however there are no hp / mana bonuses unless you cook the fish.

I originally had a bunch of materials in my maps for recipes and things like that, but I decided to make it a little simpler. I also didn't want to take up the extra inventory space. I'm still hammering out all the details. I tend to work on something I find interesting before actually having a complete idea fleshed out haha.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Looking forward to this massive campaign!

Level 14
I will try and Massive is definitely correct hahaha. I don't know what I was thinking making it so large, I guess I just wanted to use all of my ideas. I could never have imagined it would be such an undertaking. Luckily I really enjoy working on it and there really is no deadline. So I will just keep calm and carry on...

What's your opinion as far as crafting and materials. Do you feel like it is a nice contribution to gameplay or does it seem convoluted and overly complex? I never liked the idea of carrying around a bunch of extra random crafting materials just in case you may need them later on, but I suppose if it's done right it can be pretty rewarding.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

Veritas said:
What's your opinion as far as crafting and materials. Do you feel like it is a nice contribution to gameplay or does it seem convoluted and overly complex? I never liked the idea of carrying around a bunch of extra random crafting materials just in case you may need them later on, but I suppose if it's done right it can be pretty rewarding.

Crafting is awesome! I've got many similar systems in my campaign, and I'll have to admit they do increase the complexity by a fair amount. If you don't want to use an inventory swap system, then you can create boxes or personal bags for heroes where they keep their items.

The Items can later be moved to the main inventory and be used to craft actual items.

Additionally, You can include NPCs who the player can interact to and know which materials add up to create what kind of items. :cgrin:

Level 14
I currently have an area that is basically a "safe haven" when the heroes are not near any enemies they can transport back to Lithion's Home using a 'Stone of Refuge' There is tons of extra inventory space here as well as a travelling vendor to sell excess items to.

The problem I have run into is that is seems to slow down the game when you have a full inventory and you have to drop something, get far enough away from enemies, transport home, drop off the item, return to your old item and pick it up. I thought about creating a system that calls a pet (like a dog or something) to come collect nearby items and automatically take them to your home to be put in storage.

I'm also trying to decide if there is a good way to show crafting recipes. I was thinking about adding them to my "Bookcase" There is a bookcase in Lithion's House and when you select it it has different options like lore books, treasure maps, etc. I think I could add crafting recipes to it too. This way you just have to select the desired recipe from a dialog box and a text message will show you what you need to create it. Either that or a "Crafting Table" that basically does the same thing, but you need to have the items in your inventory when you select the desired recipe in order to make it...

All these ideas sound good in theory I just really want to avoid it being to confusing or complicated for the player.
199238-albums6032-picture106210.png

The red circles mark extra inventory spots. The yellow circle is the bookshelf. The green arrow is the crafting table and the blue arrow is the merchant.
EDIT: For some reason there is a blue circle too. Disregard that, it is just a regular inventory spot.

Level 30
Looks like we are making some fine progress here. The house terrain looks great but personal opinion though, the statue looks out of... umm.. place? And they're quite spammed that could be lessen and substitute for something else of the same theme and that blends well with the statue if in case you plan to just lessen it.

Nevertheless, keep going and would like to hear more!

Level 14
Looks like we are making some fine progress here. The house terrain looks great but personal opinion though, the statue looks out of... umm.. place? And they're quite spammed that could be lessen and substitute for something else of the same theme and that blends well with the statue if in case you plan to just lessen it.

Nevertheless, keep going and would like to hear more!

I totally agree. This is something I had done quite a while ago. The entire area slowly gets revamped, but the reason I haven't done it yet is because I have the same area in all of my maps so if I change it on one map I have to change it on all of them. I'll likely change the walls and floor as well. I'll most likely use doodads for the floor instead of that tile so I don't have to use that tile on every map.

Thanks for the support!!

Level 14
Thanks. I have a very very very, way too early Alpha version. There is a link on the OP

The problem is that there really isn't a lot to do. You can explore a couple of the maps. Start with Dillianhor Forest and if you go to the far left side of the map about half way down there is a path to the Callienth Mountains. (You need to use the blink in the heroes' satchel that I left there for testing purposes.)

Level 14
Thanks. I have a very very very, way too early Alpha version. There is a link on the OP

The problem is that there really isn't a lot to do. You can explore a couple of the maps. Start with Dillianhor Forest and if you go to the far left side of the map about half way down there is a path to the Callienth Mountains. (You need to use the blink in the heroes' satchel that I left there for testing purposes.)

Thanks, its very hard to see as everything is so shiny and colorfull :D

Will defenitely check it out tonight!

Level 14
Sounds good. Please don't judge it too harshly. It really isn't meant for anything but messing around and testing out a few things. The lack of quests and progression can make it a bit confusing. I'm actually going to put a more updated version in the pastebin that makes a couple things easier (like remove the wall between Dillianhor and Callienth and make Edward's Tomb enterable (Boss fight in the Callienth Mountains)

Level 14
Sounds good. Please don't judge it too harshly. It really isn't meant for anything but messing around and testing out a few things.

Dude are you joking? Your map design is absolutely AMAZING!

I mean, we all have a life to live and I can see how much effort you already put into this project and besides that, one can feel the atmosphere already by now!

I love it, how you made or planned to make so many things interactive, so I just want to say, that you got a really good project there. it is actually fun to explore your first map and it does not even matter that much, that it is not finished!

quick general suggestion:
-> I would use a player event like [pressing the up arrow key] to port the heroes to other parts of the map to prevent chaotic porting. (unless there is a reason, why you did it like you did it ^^)

a)do you mind telling me, where you got these neat splashy water effects from?
b)did you use .txt files to hide all the move, patrol icons apart from the attack icon?

----
Anyway great campaign and I wish you a real good time proceeding :)

Level 14
Wow thank you so much! I really appreciate the kind words. What do you mean by porting around the map? Do you mean using blink or do you mean entering buildings?

As far as the technical questions, for the splashy effect I got it from this map
And to hide the command buttons I can t find the tutorial I used but if I do I'll link it too.

Also be sure to check out the next map too. You can reach it by heading to the left side of the map near the middle. There's also the other hero available right there if you go near him. There is a lot of good stuff in that map. It will also boost you to level 10 right away so you can play with the abilities.

Level 14
No worries, I think good work has to be named :)

Thanks a lot for the linked map, very creative terrain as well. And for the command buttons, would be nice but don't worry too much :)

Concerning the porting aorund, I meant the proting of units, once they enter a circle of power - when they enter buildings. Regarding the 2-3 heroes, it can be annoying to accidently come to close to one of these circles and then being ported automatically - but It is only my personal opinion.

Ah I forgot to go to this map, you just mentioned - I will do that next time.

I am also curious about the fishing. Will you implement a system, where the player has to press some keys or something like that or some passive process? (just because it always returns Test Test, which made me assuming that you are not sure yet?)

Level 14
Oh I see what you are talking about now. I have noticed a small amount of accidentally entering a building when I didn't want to. I think something like pressing an arrow key might be the way to go. I'm just not sure since the player will be using the arrow keys to move the camera occasionally so I wonder if there might be a better alternative. I'll do some testing and decide what I like best.
Do you think it would be annoying to have to answer yes in a dialog every time you want to enter a building?

The fishing system is one of the newest things I have put in and there is no system in place yet for acquiring anything through fishing. I'm still trying to decide on what sort of rewards I want, whether it is actual fish that offer bonuses, or if it has to do with crafting. I'm always open to suggestions though

P.S. I found the tutorial for hiding the command buttons! here

Level 14
Oh I see what you are talking about now. I have noticed a small amount of accidentally entering a building when I didn't want to. I think something like pressing an arrow key might be the way to go. I'm just not sure since the player will be using the arrow keys to move the camera occasionally so I wonder if there might be a better alternative. I'll do some testing and decide what I like best.
Do you think it would be annoying to have to answer yes in a dialog every time you want to enter a building?

the Problem is, that this is highly dependent on personal opinion. One may prefer the automatic version as the other likes triggered methods (as I do). I agree on your argument that moving the camera with the arrow keys already blocked them for further use. This would be unwanted again. There would be the ESC button (would be problematic with spellbooks though) or a dummy ability (only possible if you still have enough space in the command card.) I would say, still a dummy ability would be the best choice. But its more like a final polishing so I would leave it for later.

The fishing system is one of the newest things I have put in and there is no system in place yet for acquiring anything through fishing. I'm still trying to decide on what sort of rewards I want, whether it is actual fish that offer bonuses, or if it has to do with crafting. I'm always open to suggestions though

well I was asking, because I am reworking a 10 years old RPG like "Harvest Moon/ Zelda" themed map of mine and hopefully finishing it this year ^^. Therefore I created a fishing system where player have to throw a bait inside deep water and catch unit-based fish via bait movement and the arrow keys. If your interested, I can make a test map for you.

P.S. I found the tutorial for hiding the command buttons! here

Thanks, I actually found the same tutorial but was interested if you found another way.

Level 14
Your fishing system sounds awesome I'd love to take a look at a test map sometime. I've been trying to come up with a way that it would be a fun mechanic rather than just a tedious thing you feel like you have to do when you find a fishing spot.

I really appreciate all your insight and feedback. This is the kind of thing that really gets me motivated to keep working on my maps. It always amazes me where I can find inspiration.

Level 14
Your fishing system sounds awesome I'd love to take a look at a test map sometime. I've been trying to come up with a way that it would be a fun mechanic rather than just a tedious thing you feel like you have to do when you find a fishing spot.

I really appreciate all your insight and feedback. This is the kind of thing that really gets me motivated to keep working on my maps. It always amazes me where I can find inspiration.

you are welcome for the feedback and all :)

So here is a demo map : test
It actually uses 3 abilities to go fishing - I forgot that I changed it so that the arrow keys are free again.

actually this is not a demo, it is the helper map, in which I developped this fishing system.

a) Fish will spawn to the left of the starting position.
b) it is still a bit messy, and there is a LOT of debug messages in there, as well as the fish are created very randomly and so on. Tipp: Fish are kind of hard to catch if you do not type in "tech" to lvl up fishing knowledge.
c) I was kind of lazy and did not elaborate the escape bevahiour of fish in the end. There is a almost not noticable random factor in their movements - I will probably do something like store a behaviour in the fish data in the future.
d) I know it does not use structs and all and it can be more effectivly coded but it works for me. If there is someone, who knows what to do better, please PM me :)

I just realized, it is kind of an ability button hack and slash minigame but well I liked it back then so ..
Have fun fishing!

Level 14
Thanks for that. It really is pretty unique. I might take a few things and change them up a bit but I like the idea of being able to do more than just throwing a net at a fishing spot.

Also, if anyone has any hero ability ideas and would like to contribute to my idea thread here I would certainly appreciate it. I'm working on a better system for upgrading abilities than simply increasing damage or a percent chance to do something.

Level 14
Thanks for that. It really is pretty unique. I might take a few things and change them up a bit but I like the idea of being able to do more than just throwing a net at a fishing spot.

Also, if anyone has any hero ability ideas and would like to contribute to my idea thread here I would certainly appreciate it. I'm working on a better system for upgrading abilities than simply increasing damage or a percent chance to do something.

you are free to take whatever you need from that. I am glad, if you can make a use out of it!

There is this strange movement bug of the bait though, I dont know what happens there :/

Well, I f I got something to contribute I will drop by and share my thoughts :)

Level 14
Here's some newer terrain screenies. The ones in the mine look a lot different in-game (much darker)

Just wanted to show some updates on what I've been working on. This project would have been done a long time ago if I had as much ambition for systems, quests, and storyline as I do for terraining haha.

Attachments

• Syslas Farm.png
    Syslas Farm.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 177
  • Stairs in the Mine.png
    Stairs in the Mine.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 106
  • Callos Mines 2.png
    Callos Mines 2.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 111
  • Callos Mines.png
    Callos Mines.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 116
  • Ruins 01.png
    Ruins 01.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 109
  • Mountain Pass.png
    Mountain Pass.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 104
  • Mountain Pass 2.png
    Mountain Pass 2.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 83
  • Village.png
    Village.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 102
  • Stonehaven.png
    Stonehaven.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 91
  • Stonehaven Edward Statue.png
    Stonehaven Edward Statue.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 107

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

APproject said:
Looks real good, a true marvel that a map section really needs as soon as possible. :)

As much as I'd like to get my hands on the mod, let's not rush Veritas

Level 14
Looks real good, a true marvel that a map section really needs as soon as possible. :)

I wish! Feel free to tinker around with the alpha version. There is a link on the OP. There isn't much as far as storyline or quest progression but you can explore a couple maps and use some abilities and systems. Be sure to start on the Dillianhor Forest map first. The others don't have any triggers.

@ [E]clipse and Chaosy:

Thanks for the nice words. I appreciate it!

Level 14
I have finally found it. The perfect model for the creature that lurks deep under the Stonehaven Catacombs.

If you follow the thread you might remember the creature from the well in the catacombs as well as "The Hole" in the catacomb depths.

199238-albums7522-picture86953.png

199238-albums7522-picture87361.png

This is the body of the creature that lives there. He is a grotesque monstrosity that feeds on death and decay.

199238-albums7522-picture106967.png

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

SOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!

Level 14
Pretty cool idea, it feels like those hands from the ground spawns unlimited amount of time and the only way to end it is to destroy that big piece of meat. :)

That was the basis of what I had in mind. The model doesn't have any sort of attack animation so that will have to be its attacks. I'm still trying to think of how to make it more interesting than just whacking away at it.

[E]clipse;2802276 said:
SOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!
*jaw drops*

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.