• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Limitations to the rep system

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
(note: this may also fit the Reputation FAQ, as well as the Hive 2 Feedback thread, or a new separate thread)

Currently, one still can not give rep to the same individual at will. 5 different users must be given reputation, before hitting the same person again. I understand it allows to prevent abuse.

Now does the Staff plan to experiment, about relaxing the "5 previous rep" Rule ?

Also, could a history of (at least) the last 5 given rep appear on one's profile ? Could it help better manage the workflow of giving rep to other Hive members, until one is finally allowed to give rep to the post one wants to give rep for in the first place ?

Level 19
actually pyf, I wanted to rep you but I couldn't... for this very same reason

and I looked back. the last time I gave rep was months ago to you.

which makes me wonder, should there perhaps be a time limit on this rule where it's ok to rep the same person after a 3 day period

pyf

pyf

Level 32
actually pyf, I wanted to rep you but I couldn't... for this very same reason

rotfl, same here. This is why I decided to bump this thread.

and I looked back. the last time I gave rep was months ago to you.

I already repped you not so long ago, but it was in another thread.

Trouble is, I give less rep nowadays. And hunting for other posts worth repping imho, only in order to rep another specific post, makes little sense to me.

which makes me wonder, should there perhaps be a time limit on this rule where it's ok to rep the same person after a 3 day period

This is also DSG's suggestion. It is an interesting one.
What do other Hive members think about it?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I think there should be stricter limitations again, @deepstrasz is demonstrating that there should be a time restriction, anti endless spreading.

Maybe a timeout of 48h, or so, would be good?
Why? What's the problem people? I'm giving +rep to 5 users before getting back to the same user. It's not like I'm flooding the server or anything. Seriously, mind your own business.

But, if you really want to suggest something it could be to only enable +rep for resource first posts (the one with the resource in them) and maybe highly rated posts (if that's even going to be possible). Something like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Remove rep or at least disable my rep for eternity please.

Virtual penis which causes hierarchy.

Also while you're at it, remove join date and message count, at least for me.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I think there should be stricter limitations again, @deepstrasz is demonstrating that there should be a time restriction, anti endless spreading.

Maybe a timeout of 48h, or so, would be good?
By digging into the Hive's long history of posts, he discovers interesting thoughts and opinions from the past, and brings them to the forefront without bumping old threads. Plus he always writes a small comment; therefore his rep-spreading is thoughtful imho.

When he previously mass-reviewed a few of the legacy Hive's resources by giving a fresh look at them, nobody complained afaik.

Don't feel personaly attacked. I just took you as example to show that one can infinitly +rep someone, which destroys the already little "purpose" completly.
If something is cool for you, you give +rep, and I don't care how personal it is. Absolitly not.
But one should not be able to go post by post and exploit each +rep possibility just being able to give 1000 rep a day to the same person.
Therefore a time restriction makes good sense. And 48h or so is not that a big deal.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
But one should not be able to go post by post and exploit each +rep possibility just being able to give 1000 rep a day to the same person.
WHY? Please! Arguments!!!!!!!!!!!
If the server is not flooded and the rule of 5 user rep is not evaded, then what the heck is the problem!?!?!?!?!?
Just because you've got a problem with it and can't stand it for no objective reason?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Oh. Bring it.

On a serious note: the limitation is kinda stupid.
If I really want to rep someone, I will just give 5 random and undeserving posts rep before doing so.
I've gotten many "spreading" rep myself, so I know it's how it works.

So the limitation is actually just making us flood the site with more rep than you prevent.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Because giving infinite rep makes no sense and is boring. We also could give everyone rep powers of "10000" actually. But this would be same bad. And that's the same in a bit slower, but same principle.
I'm not breaking any rules. Now I'm mostly giving rep instead of comments on old threads! I do not violate the reputation system rules!
I'm quite calm. The question is. Are you? It seems you've developed some boredom frustration. I hope I'm wrong though....
Sounds like a challenge, @deepstrasz
Shizz! That's over 9000!
I will just give 5 random and undeserving posts rep before doing so.
I'm very selective! I don't do that. I don't spam for the sake of giving rep to the same user again. Check the time between reps and threads and posts!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I did not accuse you of doing so.
I did not write that you did! I used your sentence to further advocate for my so called defense :D
We also could give everyone rep powers of "10000" actually.
Yeah, that would be a good idea for me but others would surely abuse it. 10k rep points to spend every month either as a bonus for every month or just as a reset to 10k every month. That would surely make me avoid giving 5 rep to other users before getting to the same user again. If I have 3 posts to rep belonging to the same user, I'd just use 3 points instead of having to do 1-12345-2-12345-3, you know? But with the current system it's quite impossible.
A 24h-48h-whateverh rep giving disablement period would not be that good either. What if I don't have time or am not in the mood the next day/week/month to give rep to another of that user's post?

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
It's a rep discussion thread. Again. :rolleyes:

By digging into the Hive's long history of posts, he discovers interesting thoughts and opinions from the past, and brings them to the forefront without bumping old threads. Plus he always writes a small comment; therefore his rep-spreading is thoughtful imho.

When he previously mass-reviewed a few of the legacy Hive's resources by giving a fresh look at them, nobody complained afaik.
Nailed it. ;) Personally, I think it's something people should be doing more often. I truly believe we could've solved the issue around reputation a long time ago if people were willing to actually read. Every time I return to the Hive I see people debating a problem or idea that's come, done and gone. It's like we never learn anything.

I dislike the 48 hours idea, at least on that time parameter. @Dr Super Good suggested it apparently on the assumption a user will never need help again in 48h. From my experience as both a World|Galaxy Editor user and a mod, I believe the contrary to be likely.

Also (possibly unrelated), if I recall correctly, isn't reputation going to be replaced or retroactively adjusted according to the new +1 only rule?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Every time I return to the Hive I see people debating a problem or idea that's come, done and gone. It's like we never learn anything.
That's because people express opinions to each other and part ways with their own because that's the one that matters. Basically, that makes said debate/meeting a time waste. People are usually blind unless convinced themselves. I mean, no, the sky isn't blue if I don't see it that way too, you know?
Also (possibly unrelated), if I recall correctly, isn't reputation going to be replaced or retroactively adjusted according to the new +1 only rule?
Imagine the downgrade in rep :D, priceless.

Reactions: pyf

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Any progress on this? That enforced spread to 5 ppl is irritating because it doesn't time out.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Any progress on this? That enforced spread to 5 ppl is irritating because it doesn't time out.
Whether you get 10 reps in one day and less the whole week or 10 per week is kind of the same thing. What some people need is a way to deactivate it for good. OR, maybe deactivate the alert for it.
Because with the current system:
-there are very few people who actually waste time on giving much rep in one day, hence no site flood; that's what the bots do
-those that like rep don't mind if they get a ton of it on a daily basis
So, the only ones suffering are those who don't care much about it.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Actually I wanted to rep you @KILLCIDE for every spell you did on the spell request thread, but the site forces me to spread rep to 5 other people, despite it's been quite a moment since I repped you.

@deepstrasz Yes I want my rep hidden and not get notifications for it. Previous hive allowed this behavior, I still could see if someone repped me.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I don't get you. You don't want to be repped but you give it to others. Nothing out of the ordinary though.
Maybe I recognize the effort he's put into this thread? But in the other hand I still think of rep being useless. However, maybe there's people with differing opinions? Some ppl who value rep :) So I'd still give it.

Status
Not open for further replies.