• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is there anyway I can change in-game lighting/brightness without Fog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to create a custom enviorment in lordaeron fall where all lighting comes from actual light sources (Post lights, Torches, houses, campfires, damaged building, fire, ect) and the rest is supposed to be pitch black.

Is there any obvious way in WE to achieve this and only in a specific zone upon entering.

Level 8
Hi. It's simple. You can use the custom script:
Code:
call SetDayNightModels("","")

To return to normal lighting, just enter the map's lighting model back.
For example, if using lordaeron fall, enter:
Code:
call SetDayNightModels("Environment\\DNC\\DNCLordaeron\\DNCLordaeronTerrain\\DNCLordaeronTerrain.mdl" , "Environment\\DNC\\DNCLordaeron\\DNCLordaeronUnit\\DNCLordaeronUnit.mdl")

But there isnt any light emmited from doodads
upload_2018-3-16_16-46-2.png

upload_2018-3-16_16-47-39.png

upload_2018-3-16_16-50-12.png

From torches there is, but the river rushes look very weird

Last edited:
Level 8
Some models don't have light sources in them (which doesn't make sense), like the fire pit. You can use a torch (or if you want a custom model, use this: Glowing Light) and place it in the pit's location.

Also, be careful not to use too many light sources close to each other, Wc3 has a forced limit when it comes to that.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I want to create a custom enviorment in lordaeron fall where all lighting comes from actual light sources (Post lights, Torches, houses, campfires, damaged building, fire, ect) and the rest is supposed to be pitch black.
Be warned that every geometry patch is limited to at most 8 light sources which the engine will automatically select based on some high performance but not accurate algorithm.

Also the lighting in WC3 is trash due to bad colour management and no HDR shader. No matter what you do, lighting will always look like a train wreck.

What WC3 should do now...
sRGB textures -> render logic -> sRGB swap buffer
What WC3 could have done...
linear RGB textures -> render logic -> linear RGB swap buffers -> ~gamma correction to sRGB
What WC3 did...
sRGB textures loaded as linear RGB textures -> render logic -> linear RGB swap buffers -> no sRGB correction at all

What does this mean? That all lighting and interpolation logic produces wrong results to the user. To compensate Blizzard made all light sources pretty much saturate at 1.0 (maximum brightness). Trying any other brightness other than very bright will look ugly.

Level 21
You can make your own Day/Night Models. There's a tutorial here somewhere, but I failed to find it atm.
Here are 2 that I modified from the ashenvale one. The only difference between them and normal is that the nights are darker.

Attachments

• DNCAshenValeUnitX.mdx
    1 KB · Views: 39
  • DNCAshenValeTerrainX.mdx
    1 KB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.