• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Is it possible to make first-person view in WE UI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm wondering if it's possible to cre8 a trigger in GUI that makes you look from the unit's eyes. I think you can make it, but then you would need 360+ triggers & cameras for every unit... and that would make the map more and more laggy. (And that would take years)
Is there another way?
EDIT1: btw, the name should be GUI. not WE UI.

Level 8
No you do not need 1000 million triggers.

What you need is a variable (Selected_unit) and to use IntegerA and player A

After you only have the potential for 12 players and they can only see through the eyes of one unit at a time.

Upside to this one can get a ground view, first person look at things.

Downside is that one has to content with FarZ limitation and one can not use a lot of doodads. For instance the default flowers doodad. Why? Because the computer needs to render all of these objects. flowers and a few other doodads tend to lend to a lot of rendering based lag.

Ideally a First person cam is only good for one hero. Issues arise when one deals with a group of units.

I can not locate the map here or elsewhere at the moment. However I started off long ago with a "RPG system map" (I'll attach a copy). This map was designed for multiplayer first person viewing. Mind the person(s) who created this map did so with the camera "behind" the unit.

Thus they wrote it aiming at all players as using the cameras.

I have since greatly modified the game, reducing the map to one player, adding new triggers for camera rotation around the unit - removed a great deal of the extras.

Issues I came across are:

1. Lag with multiple players. I suspect this is due to multiple computers trying to render far much more than the default game camera was designed for.

2. Selecting buildings and other units moves the camera - I ended up creating a range of first person settings where buildings do not move the camera from the last selected unit, where the camera's AOA is steeper for flying units.

3. Far Z - The distance you can see. Although one can set FarZ to 10,000 due to rendering speeds the game will lag - thus you need to stick to 5,000 to 6,000 with fewer doodads and objects. FarZ determines how far the sky box is away from the camera. The sky box will cut into your landscape relatively closely.

4. Rotation. The fact is that WC units DO NOT move in a straight line. They kinda sort of zig zag from point a to point b even if there is nothing in the way. This means that the camera will sway. I have been looking for the "magic number" of time between triggering rotation and how long rotation takes so the camera will not move as much.

5. You can not actually have the camera inside the unit. You can have the camera right over the head. Inside the unit and you will see the model from the inside - not all of it, just bits and pieces.

6. Hills and valleys will affect the height of the camera. Even if the unit is flying and going up and down the camera will remain at the same height. You end up needing a lot of regions to change either the Angle of Attach or the height of the camera. The more variation of height you have in you map the more regions you need.

7. Constructs of doodads (like stacked doodads) may look pretty in the defualt game camera, but in the first person mode flaws and overlaps are easily seen. Further many "solid" doodads like the semi circle, pillars with caps are not actually solid from below - so you get to see "through" the model. This limits you use of certain doodads.

8. Fog of war and Black mask look horrid in First person mode, trees and what not do NOT show up, so you have to have no black mask or your world looks empty until explored.

I have been banging away at the RPG system map triggers for about a year. I have had to settle on a single player use, small maps and not using excessive doodads.

Attachments

• RPG SystemA.w3x
    128.5 KB · Views: 70
Status
Not open for further replies.