• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

In Game UI Texture Changing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey

I saw in the tutorials that it is possible to change the texture of a model in game without too much of a fuss. I was wondering if it was possible to change the texture of some UI/ Game Interface things.

Specifically the EXP bar, I want to make an exp bar that from an animated GIF, instead of the dull flat bar that is the default exp fill texture.

In the advanced tab under game interface I can select this feature, but I can only customize it to one texture at a time. I can't find a way to make it change periodically (which would be needed to get the full effect of my GIF inspired texture sprites).

Does anybody know if there is a VJASS operation for toggling a specific UI / game interface texture in game?

I guess if all else fails I could brute force it and just disable EXP gain and create my sprites at the location of the exp bar using create / destroy images. But that could snowball if you got things like different exp curves or things to that nature.

That's why I wanna keep the simplicity of the built-in exp system but tweak it a little.

Post any thoughts you have!

Thanks for reading

I'm sad to say that the game interface isn't very dynamic at all. There are things you can change with models, but those only cover a few of the game elements, and you can't dynamically change them.

The XP bar is particularly restricted. Even though there is a model in the MPQ with the appropriate name, overwriting it doesn't seem to do anything.

As an alternative, you may want to look into images (have you seen the rage bar in Tides of Blood?), or you may want to use a multiboard or something like that. That way, you have a bit more control over its aesthetics.

Level 4
Hmm, Ok. Thank you for saving me a lot of frustration. I was thinking of the most efficient way.

I will investigate the rage bar and probably use something like transparent exp fill bar with my gif sprites soley for aesthetics.

Good tip my man, +rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.